Lime Rock track data for 3D printed outline | FerrariChat

Lime Rock track data for 3D printed outline

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by UConn Husky, Apr 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'd like to 3D print an outline of Lime Rock or maybe other tracks (not for profit, for my garage)...does anyone know where to get a file with the dimensions / radii? Thinking out loud...I'm too lazy to draw it up, maybe I can just drive it and capture the GPS data?

Thanks!

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    #3 dflett, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The info is on their website as PDF: Track Maps | Lime Rock Park

I recommend Russell at Linear Edge. He did a bespoke Fiorano for me a few years ago. I looks fantastic and the price was reasonable.

EDIT: There is a photo of my Fiorano on their website: https://linearedge.com/products/custom-2d-track

If you go this route he can work from the PDF linked to above and shown below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks guys; to me half the fun is making it myself, I don't see it as work...rather more of a hobby. I'm thinking I could scan the path from the PDF using a CMM to get the data in a format where I can print from there. Plus then I can just incorporate the 3D carbon track path model into a nice layout with my car photos, maybe some of our family photos there, etc.

Thanks,

5. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I'm doing this myself. I just went to Google maps and printed out an aerial photo. Then I did a tracing paper overlay with an appropriate width of magic marker. The trick is to make sure you have each track at the same scale, so that they compare correctly with one another. Then I scale them up to wall size with Photoshop and print them out as a tiled poster. I use that as the final template. I'm making mine out of Styrofoam insulation sheet that you can get for next to nothing at Home Depot and cut cleanly with a hot wire cutter. Spray with latex paint and you're set.

6. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nice technique, thanks for sharing. I have a carbon fiber 3D printer so I'm limited by the bed size...I'm only doing one track so no worries about scale to others.

7. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    When I do prints that are bigger than the build volume of my 3D printer I just break them up into pieces and glue/bond them together. Seems like that might be a more time consuming approach.

8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    #8 ProCoach, May 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks Peter! And that gives me a better idea...incorporate elevation change in the model! Much cooler than standard 2D layouts...