LED headlamps | FerrariChat

LED headlamps

Discussion in '308/328' started by jersey308gtb, Dec 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    Forgive me if this has been discussed (quick search says otherwise) but has anyone considered swapping the standard H4 60/55 watt lamps for Phillips H4 LED lamps?

I have just removed both of my headlamp units to send off to be re-plated and reflectors re silvered and thought this was an opportune moment to try LED's.

I don't do much night driving but I have read everywhere on this forum that the headlight switch takes a lot of load, and lack relays etc. It would just be peace of mind to think that the LEDs draw just a fraction of the current of halogen H4's, giving the switch, fuse board and wires a much less of a hard time.

Let me know what you think.

Best wishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prober34 likes this.
  2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Better option is to swap to a 6" round fully engineered LED headlamp. JW Speaker makes someone nice ones. There was a thread years ago about switching to Truck Lite ones but the JWs are far superior

3. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    I had some to try, whilst they have the appearance if being brighter to look at. When driving they just didn't reflect back into the lens to create a better output beam. Went back to Halogen

4. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

Thanks very much for the threads, very interesting. Will consider this.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I converted mine to HID but will try LED when mine goes south.

6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
  7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I love these headlight threads, and they are always so useful. I follow a lot of the headlight threads on the truck forums for my daily driver, and have benefited a lot.

One huge problem for me - if it is dark here, there is snow! If I am driving the 328, there is 20 hours of daylight. I haven't turned them on in 10 years. I'm jealous of you guys.

8. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

It's verrry dark here in the UK. Salty too, so the 308 is tucked up in a warm garage for the winter...

9. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I think it's a great idea to switch to LEDs to reduce the current draw.

But can anyone tell me how much less an LED draws, as compared to the stock halogens? Are we talking about a 10% drop, or a 50% drop?

Also, what about the two motors that pops the headlights up and down? Those things must draw quite a bit of current as well, no? Has anyone come up with a solution to feed current to those motors through a relay to bypass the existing wiring?

Thanks,
    Sam in Saratoga

10. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

Hey Sam
    I was just looking into power draw for H4 LED's they are around 30watts and 2.5amps. I think a halogen H4 draws about 5amps (so 10 for both)

So it's roughly half the current. Not sure on the proper sealed LED units as mentioned previously. They sound like the best bet, obviously losing some originality to the car if that's important to you.

11. Srtviper

Srtviper Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Hi...would the headlights be the same for a 328 GTS? I also see that the JW Speakers come in 2 models...the 8700 Evolution 2 and the 8700 Evolution J Black. The Jeep model is almost twice the price. Would I J for $500 or more?

12. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #13 Brian Harper, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Are your headlight motors slow?

j/k Actually there already is a relay for those in the relay panel.

But even then it wouldn't be a big concern. The motors run for a couple of seconds, very unlikely to cook a connector like running headlights for an hour or more.

13. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The 7" LED sealed beam on superbrightleds.com also uses 2A on low and 2.4A on high, so they are still half the current of an incandescent 55/60W sealed beam (approx. 4.5A/5A). And with more light.

I don't think they look right in the classic lines of the 308 so I used H4 halogens and relays. BUT when can you even see the LED headlights? If they are popped up they are probably too bright to even be able to tell. And seeing in the dark is not over rated.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kits/7-round-h6024-dot-approved-led-sealed-beam-headlights-conversion/3146/#/tab/Specifications

14. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    can you provide the links? double the price I bet you're looking at a single light vs a set of 2. They sell single lights for motorcycle use.

15. Srtviper

Srtviper Karting

Sep 6, 2016
    Just checked and you are correct ETL330. It was amazon and it was single vs. pair.

Still don't know if they would work for the 328 and which model I need.

16. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I went the separate relays as well with Euro H4 lenses... I just could not get over the look of the LED units. (With the relays and upgraded H4 lenses, the lights are better than the SUV daily driver, bot not quite as good as my BMW HID, but way less current going through the stalk now)

17. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I guess the question here is do you stay with the original appearance and maybe upgrade the 7" Lights with Cibie or Hella and run 100/130W Bulbs, or change the appearance and go to LED's which look quite different. It's your car and your prerogative to go in whichever direction you choose. Some people have been critical about changing Fuel and Brake lines to Stainless Steel Braided, and even adding Alloy Pedals, etc...

18. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I might add that if you want to show it at some stage and get it evaluated by a Ferrari Club event, you will definitely lose points for any of these upgrades.

19. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #20 GordonC, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very true - from the drivers seat, you can't see what the headlights look like - and most people have them on when they're driving when it's dark, and others aren't thinking "Wow, a 308 in the dark, but what's with those headlights?" :p

When do you actually see them?

If you're going to a judging event, after you spend 3 hours detailing the car, spend 30 minutes to swap in concours-compliant sealed beam or H4 headlignts... ;)

A photo of my 308 with the Truck-lite 27270C lights at dusk, these lights are currently available on Amazon for about $160 each, $320 per pair.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That has never been officially discussed but I suspect the decision would go to the upgraded lights. If anyone loses points due to them contact me and I can very easily take it to the top to get a decision. In fact if possible I'll bring it up at the annual IAC/PFA meeting next month. I really do not see that as being an issue considering our overall philosophy. The only time the effect the appearance of the car is driving down the road at night and it makes the car more safe and usable in modern use.

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Agree totally. Best lighting I have ever experienced and I have owned cars with 100w x 4 in H1/H4 combo.

Do not believe they will be a concours problem.

22. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Sorry just not a fan of the sleepy look whether I can see them or not from the driving seat. I would know they were there and it would bug me. Not dissing anyone else choice.

I upgraded my lights to something that works very well at night, draws less current through the old wiring than the LED units and satisfies my aesthetic taste.

23. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

If you want to keep the original look on your 308 like I do, and have all the advantages of low power load LED's, then just use these new bulbs from Phillips.

http://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/12953BWX2/x-treme-ultinon-led-car-lamp

The power unit can be hidden away nicely in the headlamp pod and know one would ever know you had LED lamps. That's what I'm going to do anyway.

24. david bentley

david bentley Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Saint Louis Mo US
    Full Name:
    David bentley
    I got Truck lite last year and love them!