Larini Exhaust upgrades | FerrariChat

Larini Exhaust upgrades

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Carlos456GT, Feb 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carlos456GT

Carlos456GT Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    West Richland, WA
    Full Name:
    Carlos Rivera
    Has anyone installed Larini test pipes and mufflers on their 456? Would there by any HP gain or would it be strictly a sound upgrade? My 456 is stock mechanically with the exception of the resonator removal. I've owned it since 2012 and it has been great, fully serviced in 2015 I have put more miles on it then the first 2 owners put in 17 years.

2. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    I too would be interested to know !

I bought on eBay, a set of the pipes,
    and they are BEAUTIFUL.

However, no shop
    will install them

Afraid of the EPA.................

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    It is illegal to remove the cats, plus you will then have to fight the CEL/lambda issues. You should convince Fabio to do some 6-1 headers with 200 series cats for the 456/456M. Solves both problems and no CELs, plus much improved sound and some free hp. The new cats are much more effective than the clunkers we have in our V12s. When Ferrari did the 599 GTO, they were able to remove the 4 precats of the 599 (3-2-1 headers) and just go with two much more efficient cats, one in each collector pipe from the 6-1 headers. They were able to do the same thing with the F12, 6-1 headers, no pre-cats, and cats in the collector pipes. All with improved emissions compared to our older set-ups.

4. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    I have just about every set of exhaust made for these cars. I have the test pipes on my 550 now and it sounds like a beast. Just be ready for your neighbors to hate you. Enjoy it every time I ride her.
    Steve in NY

5. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Can someone clarify for me the difference in test pipes vs the straight pipes I have on my 575. I have Larini club boxes on it and they are too quiet so I am looking to take it up a notch. Assuming test pipes and straight pipes produce similar results, which boxes get the best sound- realizing that is a personal taste question

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Test pipes eliminate the two primary catalytic converters in the 2-1 collector pipes. Straight center pipes (fitted by the factory in early Fall 2003) eliminate the center muffler/resonator/cork. With straight center pipes and all catalysts in place, it is possible to get a rear exhaust that will wake the dead. My Novitec Supersports were so loud, I swapped them out for an HGTC set of mufflers.

Exhaust music is too personal for much in the way of personal recommendations. If you are one of those young whippersnappers that always has loud music playing, often with a set of earphones, you may be deaf as a post and want something really loud. Opposite spectrum is someone who only wants to hear her much when she is wound out. The guy who bought my Novitec mufflers for his 550 loved them. 90 mm tailpipes on those suckers and you can look all the way through the inner tailpipes. The first one is my old Novitecs and the second is likely a full up Novitec conversion on a RHD Maranello.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIdLWQ4uVjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9yCe0TM_kA

7. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    Well, I certainly like the growly sound of the RHD car,
    but a little to much for in-town daily driving.

My only real concern is if the Larini pipes have
    an actual, positive effect on the power.

Wonder if anybody here can put numbers on that............

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    None of these mods are going to make a butt dynamometer difference and on a real dynamometer the difference will be small. Changing to 6-1 headers will make a measureable difference you can feel, but it is just sound and small gains for the rest. I have had three exhausts on mine and doubt it made 15 hp difference between them. Best mod for the money is elimination of the center muffler on the 456s, 550, and early 575s.

9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I'll be receiving my 6-1 Headers + 200 cel cats + double H centre pipes + valved HGTE style mufflers from Fabio Engineering this coming month.

I'll create a new thread once it's all installed with before and after dyno results and sound clips. In my opinion it's by far the best sounding exhaust system available and compared to other options that are header to tip, the price is reasonable.

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You mean for sound or performance?

11. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    The last email I had from Fabio, said he was soon to make a header set for a 456.
    Good time to check in with him to see if that happened.

12. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The first is bawdy for sure. The RHD sounds more reasonable for street driving. If 60 is the "new 50", then my choices are wide open. An opened up V12 sounds glorious regardless of the setup. Thx Taz for sharing those

13. Muftah

Muftah Karting

Mar 3, 2012
    Boston, Ma
    Full Name:
    Muftah
    Dan,

I Have a set of Capristo w/valves mufflers, it's in an excellent shape.
    It was too aggressive for my liking! PM if you are interested.

Thanks,

Muftah

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- Both. The center muffler/resonator is a cork and the x-pipe feature actually costs hp.

15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How much noise are we talking about?
    I had Tubis on my 456 and took them off - too loud for me. The stock mufflers are pretty tame though.

16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Terry, videos like that never fail to frighten me. Showing off, with all that torque, on a wet road where cars are parked and people might be standing.

Even on a dry road, this can happen...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6z4_vxvfKY[/ame]

:(

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- The swap for straight center pipes with OEM mufflers is a good compromise to better engine sound and probably about 10-15 hp. Straight center pipes with some aftermarket mufflers can be very loud. I doubt the increase in sound using OEM mufflers will bother you. Very easy to make the swap with the 456/456M because the center muffler has straight pipes on both ends. I think Bradan has sets for sale, too, but most good exhaust shops could replace the center muffler with SS pipes.

18. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I'm glad to be able to share with you all that Fabspeed now offers test pipes as well as 200-cell high flow performance catalytic converters for the 456.

You can get all of the details here: Ferrari 456 Performance Products

If you have any questions about them, please let me know. I'm here to help, and I always offer great pricing breaks for fellow forum members!

19. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #19 cls, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Taz, it's between that and these Fabio valved mufflers that he said he can make for the 456. Too pretty to hide under a rear bumper if you ask me:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Travis- You should offer straight center pipes to replace the center muffler/resonator for the 456. Easy to make and easy to swap.

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #21 308 GTB, Feb 27, 2017
  22. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    This is the first I've seen of his finished silencer product, very nice!
    Thanks for posting.
    Bill
    FL

23. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    #23 FlyingHaggisRacing, Feb 27, 2017
    I did a X-Pipe for the 456GTA.

It certainly added a bit more character to the sound and just a little louder.

May be because it's an Auto, you don't really ring out the revs as much as a manual would, so it still sounds a little timid at low revs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- If the mufflers are for your 456, valved ones will do you no good since there is no system (vacuum lines and solenoid plus signal from Motronic ECU) to open and close them. HGTC style mufflers for your 456 GT would need to be without valves. 456/456M mufflers are not interchangeable with Maranello mufflers, but I am sure Fabio can fab a set of HGTC style mufflers for your 456.

Bill- You are correct, Fabio's mufflers are beautiful.

25. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I assume I could set them up with a vacuum bypass switch for on off. That's the way I set up my Maserati with valved mufflers.