LaFerrari VS. LaFerrari Aperta Mirrors | FerrariChat

LaFerrari VS. LaFerrari Aperta Mirrors

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by wildcat326, Oct 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I was at the Lake Forest Sports Cars Concours two weekends ago, and I noticed in the LaF and Aperta parked side-by-side that the side mirrors on the Aperta appear to branch out pretty flat (parallel to the ground), whereas the LaFerrari's mirrors are canted upward at about a 45 degree angle. At first I thought maybe the stalks were adjustable (and maybe they are) but upon closer inspection the architectural geometry does seem different between the models. I should have snapped a pic then, but somehow didn't. Here are some shots found online.

What would necessitate the geometry change, since the Aperta is basically just a chopped-top version of the original? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'd bet there's a difference in turbulence generated between the two and the one for Aperta makes for a more favorable driving experience with the roof off.

I like the pic of the self-driving LaFerrari, lol. Edit: nevermind it's RHD/flipped image.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Hadn't even noticed the "driverless" version. The horse is prancing in the wrong direction on the shield, so I'll assume it's flipped (unless it's a well-executed LaFiero:))

At any rate, seems a plausible enough explanation.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I noticed the difference as well when I was out at Pebble Beach this year. I can't say that I know why they are different, but I prefer the mirrors on the LaFerrari over the Aperta's.

perrinnation and Remy Zero like this.
  5. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    The difference in the mirrors stood out from the first minute. Over this time since then, it's been discussed around here a few times and indeed that's the most plausible explanation. They also had to change the location of the front radiators so that the hot air flowing directly over the windscreen and roof wouldn't get in the cockpit in the A.