knockoffs | FerrariChat

knockoffs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JP365, Sep 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I currently have Borranis on my 365 gt 2+2 and am in the process of getting a set of Cromodora mags. I heard that the Borrani knockoffs won't work with the Cromodoras. I did a quick search and there seems to be some debate about the concave and convex knockoffs with the cavallino, but nothing definitive about the Borrani knockoffs. Anyone have first hand experience with this? Thanks

2. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I use the same 3 eared cavallino knockoffs with my Cromodora mags and Borrani wires. They are concave - center lower than outer rim. This is on a Daytona. The car drives better on the mags btw. Drew

3. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Thanks for the response. Have you ever used the Borrani (hand in the center hex design) knockoffs with the mags? I'm hoping I can save a grand and get away with my current knockoffs.

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    My 512BB had Borrani Hand octagonal knock offs on its mags.

As close as I can answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Thanks for the response. My gut is I don't need both types of KOs.

6. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I have a 330 GTC. I have a set of Campagnolos and Borranis. My Campagnolo straight ear spinners work on both. I recently purchased a correct new set of angled ear spinners for the Borranis, they work fine on the wire wheels but they do not seat properly on the mags, they don't feel right when tightening down, they abruptly stop instead of gradualy getting tight, almost like bottoming out. I had heard that they were not interchangeable, and my experience was enough for me to not interchange the spinners.
    The point is be very careful that the spinner is seating and torquing properly.

7. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Thanks for the heads up. This is where it gets confusing, because I've heard some say no problem with the 42mm hubs and the 7.5 x15 wheels, and others have had problems.

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #8 TTR, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Unfortunately adding to complexety and confusion, there are also thread depth variations between 42mm center nuts to be considered.
    This should be more important than any other detail since these differences can be as much wheel being held on by +/- 1.5 vs. +/- 3.5 threads, with former obviously being insufficient by any safety objectives.

P.S. This could likely cause Jumpruns "bottoming out" feel.