KIMI | Page 2 | FerrariChat

KIMI

Discussion in 'F1' started by johngtc, Aug 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Kimi did seem to make the effort for the attempt, he ran into the half second or so range and was quite close to being able to press the issue.

The dirty air from two cars is probably greater than just one, so Hamilton on Kimi was probably harder than Kimi on Vettel or Hamilton on a lone Vettel.

2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm glad they did this. The problem is that the cars need more power IMHO.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think Leclerc is ready for F1 but Ferrari would never take a rookie...they want to evaluate him first :)

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yeah he made an attempt or 2, can't remember, but could just be showing how much faster he was.

Again...he didn't take a risk knowing he could take Vettel out, even just touching wheels. Hamilton would've been far more aggressive as less to lose.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Same for Bottas. Neither were able to make a serious attempt at getting past Kimi. More credit should be given to Seb for being able to maintain the pace he did or Kimi would have really had to block Ham.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Keeping the seat warm for Charlie Leclerc. :)

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Vettel was struggling with a wounded car that was slowly getting worse as the race went on, and Kimi knew he could go faster than Seb if Ferrari would allow it, so he raced up behind Seb and informed the team that Seb was now slowing him down - This was basically Kimi asking the team: "Can I win today?".

The team basically told him: "Sorry Kimi, unless Seb's car gets seriously worse, you've got to hold station and be his tail gunner"

With his front tyres starting to overheat in Seb's dirty air, Kimi backed away from Seb slightly, and sat behind Seb to the finish - That was Kimi saying to the team: "I'm a team player and can accept team orders when required".

Kimi showing that he could be as fast as Seb, could accept having to sit in second place even though he was quicker than his team-mate, and not being completely p:censored:ssed off in the process, was Kimi promoting himself to Ferrari to renew his contract.

Kimi wouldn't have been able to pass Seb? - Sorry, but I can't see it.

Kimi's pace was much better than Seb's, and had he chosen to, he would have forced his way past Seb into turn one without too much trouble. However - Kimi knew that it was in the best interests of the team and himself to sit in second place and not push for the win, and that's why he did it.

Don't believe Me? - Checkout his reaction after the race and compare it to his reaction to Monaco, when again, he wasn't allowed to win by the team. In Monaco he was seriously p:censored:ssed off, in Hungary he was smiling quite happily on the podium with Seb.

In Hungary, Kimi gave up a win to pretty much guarantee himself another season at Ferrari! ;)

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  9. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dan in the Ferrari would have got by Vettel cleanly as he has shown in the past :p

Pity Vettel may sign again for Ferrari, I'd happily see Max or Dan in the red seat alongside Kimi :)

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Agreed

11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    That still does not explain why you think Lewis would have been able to pass Seb if he was not able to pass Kimi who was driving the same speed as Seb in front of him....

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, neither Max nor Dan are free, "Uncle Helmut" (= Marko) has make this abundantly clear. There is an interview of Daniel Ricciardo in the last issue of "Motorsport Magazine" and he alludes to his future, saying something in the lines that "part of me still hopes that the WDC, if it comes, would come with this team" (= Red Bull).

Rgds

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#38 DF1, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    He is right, but...not especially astute, is he? Because almost every observer could have said that. Frankly, I think that Vettel's hopes are rather slim; I might be wrong on this, and would be very happy to be proven so. But the power gap between the Mercedes engine and the two others will tell.

Rgds

15. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Vettel was slower than Kimi but he could not control where he was slower. Kimi had more speed and could choose where and when he went faster and slower. By holding up the Mercs through the corners (where they cannot pass anyway) and then accelerating away on the straights (where the Mercs would have a chance to pass) Kimi could hold his position ahead of the Mercs while not lapping any faster than Vettel. If Kimi passed Vettel, which he was clearly capable of doing, he would have left Vettel unable to defend against the Mercs on the straights and they would have also easily passed him.

16. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    1/ Mercs have greater top end than Ferrari, i.e. Ferrari was not accelerating away on the straights.
    2/ Vettel had steering issues, but which were minimal on the straights. His car was not slower than Kimi's, thus Kimi had no ability to pass on the straights. Since you stated that no one could pass in the corners ..... I do agree (as others have mentioned) that if Kimi had been very aggressive he probably could have gotten past Vettel. However I haven't seen Kimi make an aggressive move on anyone in a long time.
    3/ Hamilton, nor Bottas, never even made an attempt at passing Kimi.

17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Exactly...although the theory above sounds good the problem of Seb were actually the corners were he was not allowed to take the curbs. His problem was not on the straight...so I do not see how Lewis should have been able to pass him when he was not able to pass Kimi.

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    SEPTEMBER 19, 2017

Raikkonen manager role not the same as before

Kimi Raikkonen effectively manages his own affairs in formula one.

That is the admission of the Finn's long-time manager Steve Robertson, who recently helped Raikkonen agree his new one-year deal to stay at Ferrari next year.

But Robertson told the Finnish broadcaster MTV: "The process was pretty simple because the contract was made four years ago.

"I had not much to do, because Ferrari wanted Kimi for another year. I negotiated the main contract four years ago and the new deal is just one more page."

Raikkonen, 37, is now the oldest and most experienced driver on the F1 grid, with Robertson saying he manages a lot of his own affairs these days.

"My role is not the same as before," he admitted. "I'm here if Kimi needs me.

"I am not at the races so much, only if I am needed, but of course I always follow Kimi and what is happening with him."

19. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Money for nothing then............ easy life

20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing.

NEP likes this.
  21. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    OCTOBER 8, 2017

Raikkonen better than ever says Villeneuve

[​IMG]
    Kimi Raikkonen, Japanese GP 2017

© RV Press

1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve thinks Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen is riding a crest of career form.

Some believe the Finnish veteran is right at the tail end of his pace and career, but Villeneuve thinks Raikkonen is actually driving well.

"Kimi has had a bit of bad luck, but at times he has been faster than Vettel," the French Canadian told Ilta Sanomat newspaper.

"Somehow it doesn't work out. He has a good qualifying but a bad race -- or the other way around," Villeneuve added.

"However, he has proved he can be as good as Vettel. They are the perfect combination," he added.

"I don't think we have seen a better Kimi. It seems that he is driving better than ever before in his career," said Villeneuve.

22. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Hard to tell with all the troubles at the Scuderia at the moment.

23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Kimi = Massa. Poor value and over the hill

vinuneuro likes this.
  24. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    OCTOBER 12, 2017

Raikkonen tips Ferrari to be stronger in 2018

Kimi Raikkonen thinks Ferrari will be even stronger in 2018.

Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel are not publicly writing off the 2017 title after a disastrous tour of Asia, but the gap to Lewis Hamilton is 59 points with four races to go.

When asked about Ferrari's struggles, Raikkonen told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "Of course we would like a one-two in every race.

"But success depends on a lot of things and also the opponents.

"This year we clearly went in the right direction, doing a good job over the winter. And I am sure that we will be even stronger next year," the Finn added.

Raikkonen, who turns 38 next week, has been signed up to join Vettel for another season at Ferrari in 2018.

"We have a good relationship and that helps us to tackle the problems and solve them together for the benefit of the team," said Raikkonen, referring to Vettel.

"We met almost as soon as he came into formula one and became friends. But of course on the circuit we want to beat each other."

And Raikkonen, a veteran of 15 seasons in F1, said he is not planning for the day he will eventually retire.

"Generally I have no plans even for next week," he smiled.

"Perhaps afterwards I will do rallies for fun. Driving and competition are the only reasons I'm still in formula one," Raikkonen explained. "I still have a feeling that I can win races and fight for the championship."

25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Kimi lives in a dream world. He is a 2nd tier paid back up for Vettel. He is old old news.....