It's not funny, and I'm not drunk. | Page 184 | FerrariChat

It's not funny, and I'm not drunk.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Apr 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
  2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    How much effing leave should a worker get???? Sooner or later, someone's going to have to go to bloody work!

4. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Why ??

I hate work

5. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Spoken like a true lefty. :p

greg246 likes this.
  6. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Do you drive a LWV8HOS ?

7. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
  8. kena

kena Formula 3

May 20, 2007
    Salt Ash
    Full Name:
    Ken Abrahams
    When did you ever experience work JM

9. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    1989 Friday afternoon in April

It was terrible and I swore not to do it again

kena likes this.
  10. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  11. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I do believe Canavan deserved to be 'saved' I can absolutely see an Italian mama signi g her boy up!

With the Cash mess, parliament is going to be interesting for a while!

12. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I saw this article regarding climate change in Austrailia..is this true? or more hogwash? Wondering how much you are paying for power? My base rate for power in California is 14.9c per kwh for the first tier, which I think is high..

"Aly) reports that “years of political conflict over the environment have left Australia with no effective climate-change strategy,” and that “political realities have imposed unworkable limitations on policy options.” The article adds that “as a result, Australia’s power grid is stretched thin, consumer energy prices are exorbitant, and carbon emissions are rising.” According to the article, Australia’s “experiences provide the rest of the world a lesson on climate change: You can ignore it if you wish, but you cannot outrun it,” and “eventually the science and economics will catch up with you.”

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  14. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    the Minchin speech is AWESOME!

15. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    where I live, rates vary between 18.94 (off peak) to 35.62 (peak) but for many people like me, the rates aren't the issue, the daily access charges are. My electricity bill usually runs around $15 per week - half what water charges cost me!

16. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
    It's true that the power prices have gone up.

It's true that political inaction and unwillingness to invest in Australia's power network has gotten to the stage where massive amounts of money had to be spent to ensure that the degraded infrastructure which is spread over a huge continent would keep operating reliably.

What is also true is that the power infrastructure was at a point where continued penny pinching would have resulted in the poles and wires heading into a "death spiral" at which point the spending required to recover the reliability of system would have been an order of magnitude more than what has been required over the last ten years.

As to the question of Australia being a lesson on climate change - nah

Thankfully some of the states have spent money on fixing their aging infrastructure - and then there is South Australia - lots of PR for choosing to install an unproven solar & battery farm - its amazing that the government is allowed to experiment with so much taxpayers money yet their distribution network receives minimal investment.

17. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The story in South Australia is pretty simple.

Because our government is tied to the green vote and bought massively into the myth of climate change, in the last 15 years we invested heavily in renewables and closed our old, reliable power stations.

The result is we have by far the highest level of renewable energy in the nation, by far the highest electricity prices (almost in the world), and by far the least reliable power.
    Top work.

My last electricity bill shows rates between 36 and 40c/kWh, and a supply charge of just under 83c per day.
    Thanks Greenies!
    (But, we are saving the planet here in South Australia so I should be grateful).

18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I always think of the Gladtone Aluminium smelter up here when I think of 'new' technology to save the planet.

They have these old, reliable Japanese pots they pour the melted aluminium into but it consumes vast amounts of electricity so they went with the new, 'friendly' French version of these pots only to find out that they were so unreliable they replaced more of these environmentally efficient pots than was economically feasible so they closed down the new plant drastically and then bought the power station from the QLD govt to power the smelter and sold the surplus electricity to the state.

A weird thing about places like this smelter is that due to very strict induction processes most of the people that work there have never seen the whole site and many have worked there for 20+ years.

I put the network in there and the power station (well designed and costed the project for my off-sider to implement) so had to complete inductions for all areas thus making me one of the very few ever to see the entire site once functioning.

The enormous amounts of power used meant you couldn't take cards with magnetic strips on site as it would erase the strip plus the maintenance guys had a local trick where they could position their knives and forks to stand up on the table due to he huge magnetism from the current ril running under the crib room:p

19. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    ah but if you go back further into history, you'll find the alumina plant was located in Gladstone originally in the 60s BECAUSE of the location of the government owned power station, and the cheap coal that comes into Gladstone directly from the Coal fields just to the west...
    one thing that doesn't get talked about much is that localized alternative energy sources make much more sense in Australia than conventional power grids spread over thousands of miles.

20. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Thanks for the clarification and information, power there is expensive, much more then here, and the daily access charges are very expensive compared to here I get 400kwh for my first tier at 14.9c the second tier is..20c the third at .34c our generation and distribution costs are almost equal on my bill and are broken out as part of the tier charge per month in the summer when its hot the AC runs a lot and the its easy to get a large bill I cant imagine how much it is there in the hot summer months. We also have smart meters and can sign up for different tier plans based on use age during the day, for example during peak demand time if you use less you get a credit or even the more extreme plan you can sign up for they can shut off your power if you choose that plan, that plan gives you a cheaper rate overall, not for me id rather have my AC running when its hot then be cheap on the rates, that's just me.
    In California they have put in so much solar and wind that we have negative wholesale rates during certain times of the year, in the winter mostly as there is little demand, but a lot of generation, but the utility companies are forced to buy solar, wind at very high prices to support the climate change myth where natural gas generation is half the cost.
    Now the solar and wind companies are fighting amongst themselves to try and sell their power, a few have gone under, as well as some of our peak generation plants that are located to far away from the demand point, solar has replaced some of them, we are short of distribution, at the same time no one wants power lines in their back yard, and fight not to have them, and complain about high prices...
    In the US the clean power mandates are being questioned and in some cases reversed, not in California we are still buying into the myth of humans in charge of mother nature, thank everyone for the info!