Issues with Clear Bra-ing Black? | FerrariChat

Issues with Clear Bra-ing Black?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by 3POINT8, Oct 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I took my black 911s to have it clear bra-ed. The hood has a numerous rock chips. The guys told me that if i just touched up the chips and then put a clear bra over the top the clear bra would highlight the chips. Apparently black is known to do this. A repaint would cost two grand and a touch up two hundred. The touch up guy didn't think it would be an issue. Anyone know about this?

2. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Depending on the size of the chips, they can show up after applying PPF. It also depends on the installer. For example, my son ordered a new WRX (blue) and drove it back and forth to work a couple weeks. During that time the car had a few stone chips (BTW the Subaru paint is not very tough and is very thin). He and I touched up a few of the chips and then he had PPF installed. Some of the chips show up as "bubbles" because the film doesn't lay down into the chip. The film used was XPEL and the installer was reputable. So yes, it can happen regardless of color (IMHO).

I would still do the touch ups but don't expect you won't see the chips after the PPF application. With that being said, I would go with SunTek film as it is slightly thinner (very slight) but seems to conform better than Xpel. Hope this helps.

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    helps a ton. appreciate it

4. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    One thing to do after you use the touch up paint is to go back over it after a few minutes with some adhesive remover and try to smooth it out a bit so it's not a blob. This will help it look much better after the PPF is installed.

5. David Purser

David Purser Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    Charlotte North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David Purser
    When I am having to apply touch up to panels before ppf I build up the paint in layers and sand smooth so there is no issues when applying ppf over the top. It all comes down to the installer and the quality of there work.

JoshVette likes this.