Is Formula 1 running out of gas? | FerrariChat

Is Formula 1 running out of gas?

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Oct 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    As the season winds down, there is a good chance the title will be decided by Austin. Rules for teams keep changing in an effort to keep enough teams on the grid. Without Mercedes it would not even be a serious series.

Ferrari has the second best car on the grid, and the second most motivated driver, in Sebastian. He wants to win, but for all his game talk, he can't overcome his lack of confidence in the Ferrari team under the current management or should I say micro-management. Resigning Kimi was a typical "corporate" mistake. He gives 99%...and there are equally skilled drivers who would give 105%. Kimi is good but he never was and never will be great.

The odds are that Ferrari will lose both championships this year. And could quickly become another "McLaren" or "Williams" and turn into just a shadow of their former selves...perhaps even merging with another team to cut costs, and to let the other team's management take the blame for future failures (the Fiat Chrysler way).

Mercedes is doing everything right...they never rest on their laurels and they never give up trying to improve. Hamilton is quite simply the most motivated driver on the grid. He is hungrier than all his peers and all the young challengers nipping at this heels.

But what if Mercedes decided that they've proved their point and have nothing to gain in F1? If they pulled out, what would the rest of the contest look like? Sauber vs Haas? Torro Rosso vs Williams? Ferrari vs Red Bull? Renault vs Force India? It quickly starts to look like a second rate series...like Indy cars.

In truth, pure Formula 1 has not existed for quite a while now. With the advent of hybrids it is no longer about "motor racing," it has morphed into computer racing. And that is morphing into Formula E...which Mercedes and Porsche are already making large commitments to as they drop out of endurance car races such as Le Mans. And in this brave new world, the future championship drivers will more likely come from video gaming and drone racing, and not from other forms of motor racing.

We are lucky in that we got to see it at its best. But it is hard to deny that F1 and all forms of "motor racing" are now facing their sunsets.

2. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I don't understand how so many armchair analysts keep concluding on stuff like what driver is how motivated.
    Of all the 20 drivers on the grid about 3 three are under intense scrutiny, Hamilton and Vettel, as they fight for the WDC, and Mad Max as he makes stuff entertaining.

Now you tell me how motivated Ocon and Perez are. How motivated is Lance stroll and how motivated is Nico Hulkenberg? When have you last checked the motivation score of KMag, Lettuce or Alonso? Vandoorne might also be motivated, I am not sure.
    How do you conclude on this kind of stuff?

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Wait till 2020 into 2021 with regards to a simpler formula....new formula looks to be headed in the right direction in motorsport and NOT for road relevance. Possible V-6 T w/KERS or V-6 2T w/KERS producing about 1100-1200hp and more engine manufacturer's joining in the fray with the likes of Porsche, VAG, Aston Martin - IILmor.

Possibly new constructors too....the Chinese are interested.

Looks like a sunrise to me givin the new formula.:)

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While this is one of the most epic years in the history of F1 with a 4WDC battling a 3WDC I don't think this is the beginning of the end. F1 has been declared dead many times before yet it is still around after 70 years. I'm pretty sure it will continue to be around. Maybe not the most dominant sport anymore but still here.

Meanwhile I'll enjoy watching more history in the making.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    F1 is pretty terrible right now, but they're not nearly close to being dead yet. They can easily turn it around with the next set of rule changes, but I'd like to see the halos gone by then regardless. :)

6. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Agree. Halo will make them look like Baby Prams / Buggies. What next, mudguards ?

E60 M5 and of2worlds like this.
  7. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

The cars are faster, but less spectacular to watch.

8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The problem lies in the FIA's desire to over-regulate while thinking that they are making things better. Aside from the silly technical specs, the sporting regs are killing things too. In the final third of the season where Ferrari and/or Red Bull could be making a big push to catch Mercedes, they are being chopped off at the knees by grid penalties. Kimi's five grid spot penalty is a classic example of the rules gone wrong.

The penalty for changing a transmission was very cleverly thought up to promote more durable equipment and reduce cost. But, Kimi's transmission replacement was the result of a crash. Yes, it had to be replaced, but not for reasons anticipated by the rule. So, at the time when the chasers should be throwing everything at them, it becomes much more difficult for Ferrari to keep the pressure on Mercedes right when it would generate more interest in watching a race that is run in the middle of the night in Europe and America.

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    F1 is heading towards dead. Just ask yourselves how many people you meet are actually even talking about F1 these days. The FIA has tried it's very best to kill the sport, and its slowly working. From the Halo, the green approach, the lack of engine noise, no in season testing, and so many other are driving genuine fans away.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    There is time for it to turn around, the new Formula with less expensive and less complicated power units in 2020 seems to make sense. I don’t know how anyone can call this current Formula the golden years or history in the making, look for example on how few people are now posting on FChat in the race threads compared to how it used to be before this crap power unit Formulathe you can see interest has waned. There is time to save Formula 1, Liberty seems to be trying, hopefully the FIA will not continue to push the overly complicated and boring current Formula. I have attended a race since 2013 after attending 26 races between 1992 and 2013; it just not with the money or wasting precious vacation time anymore. Even if Seb pulls off a 2007 like Kimi and steals the title this year, I do not see this as one of the greatest in F1 history, sorry.

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    And hear.

If Ferrari were not in the show...l would not watch.

12. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think Ferrari is running out of gas...

Unfortunately.

Robb

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Nor me. No other team interests me at all, couldn't care less about them

F1 needs to stand out, be profligate with money, resources etc. There are plenty of strictly controlled series out there, plenty trying to be green. F1 should be different, the best, the most entertaining. At the moment it's like watching paint dry. The same team winning every year because the rules are set to protect them against anyone developing their car to catch them. What a waste of time

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I used to watch religiously when BMW was in F1 and now only intermittently since then. F1 definitely needs Ferrari more at this point than Ferrari needs F1...Ferrari has succeeded in growing its business regardless of WCC/WDCs since the Schumacher-era.

I agree with the others about not caring about most of the teams in F1. I couldn't care less what happens to Force India, STR, etc. I wish we had more factory teams (or true factory-backed like BMW Williams or McLaren Mercedes).

15. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

For people who only follow Ferrari, there isn't much to cheer about for the last ... 3 or even 5 years, I would think.

16. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    2007 Kimi.

In general from say year 2000 there have been periods of domination by teams.
    Ferrari 5 WDC's on the trot.
    Renault 2 on the trot.
    Then Ferrari/Mclaren/Brawn
    Redbull 4 WDCs on the trot.
    Merc 3 WDC's sure to be 4 on the trot.

Nothing new really.

17. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Bearing in mind that the Scuderia is the team with the biggest experience on the grid, the one that benefits most from FIA favours, and has by far the largest budget, you have to accept that it does a very bad job in F1.
    In any other business, the Scuderia would come under intense pressure from its owners, and after several years of failure, it's existence as a race team would be under threat.

This year, the title is again slipping through their fingers, and all we get are lame excuses.

Robb likes this.
  18. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    If Ferrari were leading the championship right now most people here would say F1 is doing great.

But for the engine noise, F1 is better than it's been in a long long time. The cars are difficult to drive and we can see the good drivers make a difference, we have some great young drivers, they're able to pass each other, tires are degrading enough that there is a some strategy but not so much that it's endurance racing, Liberty seem to genuinely care about engaging the fans through the racing and sporting/entertainment side, we don't know who's going to win any given weekend, there are three strong teams with more next year (McLaren) and up till recently there was nothing in it between the top drivers in the championship who are driving two different cars.

I think F1 is doing just fine and with Liberty and Ross Brawn, it's only going to get better.

Robb, tifosi12 and kraftwerk like this.
  19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This

An amazing season is coming to a close. One in which F1 racing history was made on several levels.

20. Agreed.

In my half century of following F1 (and being quite aware of prior) I've not seen much better of a season. Somebody, PLEEEEZZZE remind me of all these so much better seasons....

21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    1994, 1995, 1999, 2000-2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012, just to start. Then go back, watch some Senna, Prost, piquet, 1976 with hunt v Lauda. I think there are way better seasons. This year is no different than the last few, Mercedes dominating, except that they have had a few extra issues (probably because Nico isn't in the second car, and he is the most intelligent driver they've had since Michael, and was likely able to help with the sort of issues that this year they are getting, elton is as dumb as a rock)

Formula1r likes this.
  22. #22 lorenzobandini, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    :):):):)
    'Don't have to "go back" and watch. 'Been following every race since Monaco, '67. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yes, there have been "better" seasons (and "worse"). 'Depends on what one's definition of best and worst is. If it means nose to tail, side by side, or back and forth racing each and every week, that already exists in NASCAR, IndyCar, and BoP'ed sportscar racing. F1 is supposed to be the top rung of the racing ladder....the best doing their best. And it is. We are priviledged to witness the fruits of their labor.

Sometimes there's no competition, sometimes there is; and there has been both this year. The suspense has been there. Things have transpired the way they have. The season hasn't ended. That's racing when your at the sharp end.

To equalize the 'playing field is to lower the bar. Make it a one make series also. Then we've got crapola, wheel to wheel "racing" every week which becomes the norm (otherwise known as boring) like the afore mentioned forms of racing (that I used to love) I fall asleep 1/4 of the way into because there's no suspense as they are "orchestrated" to be close, not to see who's the best.

No mas. :)

23. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If Japan is so F1 crazy, NBC repeatedly called them the best fans in F1 (NBC saying it doesn't make it true), why were half of the seats across from the pits empty for today's race?

24. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Because like everyone else, they are bored seeing a foregone conclusion

Formula1r and E60 M5 like this.
  25. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    The current run of dominance is far different from when Ferrari / Michael were winning the majority of races.

1. Testing was not limited. Any team had the chance to improve. Since the draconian near complete testing ban,… the WCC was known with 90% certainty by round 2.

2. Car reliability was far less certain. Excitement was held until the flag because it was far from certain a car would complete the race. Regulated reliability is hurting the show.

3. The current engine formula is the worst thing to ever happen to F1. Mercedes got it right. Kudo's to them. But because of limitations to engine design change, no other team has the ability to catch up.

I have formula 1 on about 1/2 the races now, but I only watch the start and lap 1-2. After that,… it's on in the background while I do other things. Previously I watched every session with full attention paid. I would NEVER pay to attend a race in the current state.