IRMA | FerrariChat

IRMA

Discussion in 'Florida' started by oss117, Sep 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Hope everyone made it out ok from it

2. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    We did just fine here in Clermont. The power blipped a couple of times, but never went out. Just another FL storm for us - no big deal.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Greetings from the 305.

The attached radar image made Sunday afternoon was during the height of the action in Miami
    as the somewhat diminished eye came ashore over in Naples, the yellow and orange bands
    came through Miami and things really disintegrated quickly. I was listening to the HAM radio
    operator's Skywarn Net and the reports started really coming in as these bands swept across
    the area.

We endured a pretty serious event here. Electric was out at our location for 23 hours returning Monday
    morning about 10:30AM just when we were about to discuss what we were going to do next.

Just had my first drive out and around today (Tuesday). There are parts of Miami that look as though
    they've been through a war. Other parts, not so bad. Still random power outages. You may drive for
    4-6 blocks and the interactions have functioning traffic lights. Then, perhaps 4-5 more blocks where
    the traffic lights are not working.

The Miami Police, first responders, utility and clean up crews are doing an outstanding job getting help
    to those who really need and getting things back to normal again.

BHW

Attached Files:

4. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    We did fairly well here: the house, the pool screen and the dock made it through unscathed.
    At the peak of the storm, the water level in the canal rose to above the seawall, submerging the dock completely.
    The trees outside did not fare so well though, but those will re-grow eventually.
    Power went out sometime during the night between Saturday and Sunday and we have been on our genny since then.
    A huge tree got uprooted and fell on one of the main concrete poles supporting the lines that bring power to our area.
    Power lines are down and the pole is now leaning at 45 deg.
    It will be a while before power is restored here.... hope we have enough propane for the genny

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    A lot of business seems to continue being transacted in the virtual arena. My wife, who fled to Virginia on Saturday due to the then dire prospects for Sarasota, forgot her complete contact list. She was suppose to have a meeting with a client tomorrow, on Wednesday, and wanted to prevent the client from making an unnecessary trip in for the meeting since she was not in town. The wife managed to reach a realtor who knew the client, to relay the cancellation message, and then learned that the realtor had fled to Missouri. In retrospect, the wife probably didn't need to evacuate, but at the time, it was beginning to look that our 2nd floor condo might be taking on water. Everyone in Sarasota seems to feel that a bullet was dodged.

6. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    We're just a bit north of you - in Tavares. City docks on Lake Dora took a hit, but otherwise, it seems like minimal damage. Some trees down. Further to the north, Umatilla had significant damage to buildings in the area. Of course, we are getting the news remotely. Have not been down there yet...

7. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    We got hammered in Naples. As of this morning about 72% don't have cell service. Also, 159K out of 210K total population of Collier county is out of power. FPL projecting a week from Friday before all power is restored. A few stores are beginning to reopen, but gas is hard to find.
    Otherwise we came out relatively unscathed considering what could of happened. Lots of trees uprooted with Magnolia and Cypress trees the largest casualties

8. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    We got hammered in Naples. As of this morning about 72% don't have cell service. Also, 159K out of 210K total population of Collier county is out of power. FPL projecting a week from Friday before all power is restored. A few stores are beginning to reopen, but gas is hard to find.
    Otherwise we came out relatively unscathed considering what could of happened. Lots of trees uprooted with Magnolia and Cypress trees the largest casualties

9. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Minneola never lost power. Montverde just got it back today. Parts of Orlando still out. Most of north east lake still doesn't have power. Lots of trees and lines down, but no real structural damage.
    For what it could have been, I'll take what we got.

10. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
  11. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    That's from a Houston house that flooded from Harvey.

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Learned yesterday that 98% of Highlands County is still without power.

This may well have the effect of cancelling events at Sebring International Raceway until the
    state of emergency is lifted.

BHW

13. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    Flew back in yesterday. Went first to in laws condo in North Naples just south of Bonita Beach Road. No power, long gas lines, and devastating flooding in the area of old Bonita Springs north of Bonita Beach Road and east of 41. It is the basin of the Imperial River. The area is very poor and 100% Latino and we are just not hearing about it. But I drove by it yesterday. The same area had mild flooding a few weeks ago after 13 inches of rain in a weekend, but this time it is much worse. Same applies for the Island Park area of South Fort Myers, which is near seven mile creek.
    Here on Sanibel, I will get power back on 9-22, but a couple of restaurants have power. My office in Fort Myers has power. But I would guess 75% of residential customers without power in southern Lee County. My yard looks like a bomb went off, but the house is fine, fortunately. Cars were high and dry in a windowless concrete warehouse in Fort Myers.

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm in Charlotte County, in the one corner where power did NOT go out. Newer development, underground lines, power substation nearby, so all good.

Lost a 40' Washington Palm out front, but I HATED that ****er, so, no big loss. Neighbors came by with chain saws and a pickup so we had it cleaned up pretty quickly. Now I just have to wait for the county to come pick up the pieces.

Other than that, a little damage to the lanai, and some shrubs, it's all good.

D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Glad to hear you are ok, the house, office and cars were not damaged.
    Do you a stand-by generator?

16. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    We don't have a whole house generator. I just gutted it out for the first few days. I went to the office and stayed cool all day there. Once my wife and kids returned on Saturday, we hit the road to stay with friends on the island. Still waiting for power to come back...

17. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Wow, you should consider a stand by generator: we had my in-laws with us and it made life at home perfectly fine, even without FPL
    I learnt the hard way 10 yrs ago with Wilma and I said to myself: no more !!

18. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I learned after Andrew - 6 weeks in the Keys with no power - now in the ants but put in a 45kw Generic with 1000 gal propane - we have been without power several times from snow and 5 degrees outside and blowing - thank God for power

19. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Way to go man: it is no fun to be without power :)

20. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We are OK and I am happy and thankful I can write this.

Just got power back yesterday. It was a long and hot time without AC! Some damage to our home. Tree fell on the garage, not horrible, but will need to be repaired, along with some other minor roof damage. Pool cage/screens trashed. Front door frame cracked from a 140mph gust, fridge crapped out during the storm and some other minor issues.

Everything is repairable and will be taken care of. Very glad we are OK, property can be replaced/repaired...

I am extremely happy that I now have electricity, lights, AC, Wi-Fi are very nice to have back!

I hope all others faired well.

Regards,
    Scott

21. eatdrivesleep

eatdrivesleep Rookie

Jun 23, 2017
    Fort Myers, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan Martinez
    Just closed on a new house a few days ago in Fort Myers. No damage other than a few shingles missing. I was working at the hospital the whole time while Irma was here, but going back to my then old home to no power was no fun. I think investing into a Generac stand by generator would prove beneficial for future storms!