IMSA Continental Tire Challenge Series GT4 class | Page 2 | FerrariChat

IMSA Continental Tire Challenge Series GT4 class

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ky1e, Nov 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Thanks Mike! UR one of my heroes. I've enjoyed watching you on TV.

2. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  3. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Thx Chris!

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Saw that car at Sebring, looks good

Might be good to join forces :)

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Congratulations!!

6. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Very cool. Please post delivery pictures!!

7. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
  8. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I love this. Saw the article linked above on my FB feed earlier today, and thought "Oh man, cool that McLaren is getting into GT4 racing". Little did I know it was a fellow fchatter who was responsible!

This is truly the stuff we all dream of, and you're living it! Hope to catch a race in person somewhere next year.

9. snowhorn

snowhorn Rookie

Dec 15, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Josh Snowhorn
    Alan - Super happy for you! I have also ordered a 570 GT4 and expect production at the MPC to be completed in the first week of January. I picked it up as a track day car for COTA (I live 20 mins from the track). I would love to stay in contact with you to share data and maybe a part or two :)

I wish you the best of luck in your first CTSC race and will be watching your progress.

Cheers - Josh

jlharlan likes this.
  10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Karl Thomson (Compass 360) is running two of them, too. Plus two S3's.

Gonna be good!

11. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Plus I believe a Canadian Team is bringing in 2 McLaren GT4's as well (if it is different from the two from Compass 360). I was told thru the grape vine that their would be ~6 McLarens in GS. Add in Mustang GT4's, Cayman GT4's, Aston's and some of the cars from the legacy GS group and the field looks like it will be shaping up pretty nicely!

12. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #37 Ky1e, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Came back from the Roar Before the 24-- my first pro series event. Lots of fun. Everyone is very good- the difference between times in in the tenths of seconds and everyone is still trying to work out bugs and set up with their cars. All the McLarens are having some electronic issues (high banking would confuse the yaw sensor and put the car from track mode to automatic mode with all nannies on). Which unfortunately meant slower shifts, ESC stability control and nannies taking over which all slow down your lap times. But that is why we were there to work out the bugs. Mclaren sent 2 factory people from the UK who were very helpful.

In the last session on Sunday, I had the 4th fastest lap, and the fastest time for Sector 3 (they post the fastest sector times for sectors 1, 2 and 3.) But keep in mind not everyone was out in that session, there were only 18 GS cars, plus the fastest teams might be holding back so the dont get Balance of Performance changes made to slow their cars down. The reality is everyone is very close and it is a lot different than the PCA events I'm used to.

I'm still learning the car and we have a lot of work to get the car the way we want it. Most importantly we kept the car on the track and brought her home in one piece!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #38 Ky1e, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice! great results :) good luck in the race, looks like the McLaren is going to be very competitive. and I love the livery :D

15. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Great results. It is VERY different from the racing you've been doing. Tenths and hundredths count, but most important is consistency and bringing the car home in one piece. Good luck!

16. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Really looking forward to seeing you guys go for it!

17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Alan and Chris the duo....LMAO!!!! Matching sunglasses and all...

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Alan, when did you switch from the McLaren to the Mustang...and why?

19. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I follow them, along with a few drivers and teams on FB. The only downside is, if I happen to miss a race live, I will quickly have the results spoiled for me.

22. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #47 Ky1e, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    I ordered the Mustang after COTA and it was delivered directly to CTMP on Thursday 7/6/17. I still own the McLarens. I was frustrated with the mechanical problems/lack of reliability of the McLarens so I bought the Mustang. We finished Daytona in Jan then the McLaren hadnt finished an IMSA race since due to mechanical issues each race.

We were leading Sebring for the last 35 min then had a mechanical problem with 10 min to go in the race and were out. At COTA we had a turbo go 30 min into the race and were out. At Watkins we had a bunch of problems and never even got to qualify (we were present at Watkins but had mechanical problems so never raced). We did a shake down 2 weeks before Watkins and everything was fine but then when we showed u at the track-- car had multiple new issues and we couldnt race. So at CTMP we entered the Mustang. Note there were 4 McLarens entered in CTMP and only 2 finished. I am going to sell the McLarens and run the Mustang.

I am in IMSA for the year and I decided to do some PWC events to train for IMSA. I had never been to CTMP before so I entered the McLaren in PWC CTMP last month to practice for IMSA CTMP (but the McLaren had mechanical issues there as well so we only did part of one race and I only got about 30 min of track time). Then I did PWC Lime Rock to prepare for next weeks IMSA Lime Rock.

23. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
  24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    sharp car, congrats!

25. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Congratulations on the switch. I remember you telling me that the McLarens were problematic and going to the Mustang is an excellent move. Lots of racers get emotionally attached to a car or marque and you need to be logical and decisive to change when the situation demands it; a real veteran move so well done. I saw your new car on Thursday at the test day and then watched the race. Great livery and wonderful team presentation. The McLaren may be more sexy but the Mustang is the right tool for the job. Good luck with the rest of the season.