ICBC rates... I'm shocked and confused... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ICBC rates... I'm shocked and confused...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Peter, Dec 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    The best way to perform pick pocket, is to make the victims pre occupied with something else.
    In Vancouver, most people are so pre occupied about housing price, and it's like they have no other issues instead of this one. The small empire (so-called government) of BC knows this very well, and they managed to play this into their benefit.
    Many people complain about foreign buyers driving up the price, I think this is true, but it's just one of the reasons. There are many other reasons, like not enough supply because of zoning idea from 18th century, Canadian dollar vs USD, etc. And one of the main reason is that people here are being sucked to dry by the government, so that they basically cannot afford anything. Even tomorrow if housing price drops 20%, still almost everybody won't be able to afford one, because people have no money, and there is never any idea from any politician of how to make people become wealthier, but they cannot stop talking about increasing taxes.
    Just look at the current new inventions from our kingdom, they increased ICBC, MSP, Hydro, TransLink, etc, and the newest robbery invention : Property tax. I just received a letter, my assessment is 6M. WHERE THE FK IS THIS NUMBER COMING FROM????? My house was built in 1987 and never renovated.
    Many people keep accusing rich foreigners (especially Asian) as economic criminals, I don't know whether they are criminals or not, but I know one thing for sure, they can be much richer because over there, they don't get squeezed as much as we get here. Example : in Singapore (developed country with good system just like Canada), max income tax is 20%, assets gain is not taxable, and gst is 8%.
    I think we are pre occupied with this rich foreigners issue, and we don't pay attention to our pocket anymore. In 1990s, there were thousands of people protesting about foreigners built giant mansions in Shaughnessy area, and empire changed the building permit regulation, then new houses were much smaller. I wonder why until today there are no thousands of people protesting about taxes and bills keep increasing. People's mind are pre occupied.

2. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Interesting list that includes a "Ferrari 246 Dino (US import)" from "1983". Does that mean a Euro Dino 246 from 1972 is exempt? I wonder who complied that list. The former manager of the collector / specialty department (now with a competitor) would never make such a mistake.

As to rates in the US or other Provinces, it can be comparing "apples to oranges" because of the different compensation schemes for injuries (minimum limits, tort versus no-fault, etc.). No guarantee that abolishing ICBC would ensure lower rates for "basic". We don't see competitors rushing into the optional insurance market. That might change if they were allowed to compete in the "basic" market with or without ICBC remaining. That said, I agree that ICBC is used as a "cash cow" (and has been for decades) and has some serious problems. Problems with access to and cost of auto insurance have been around in BC since the late 1960's at least (Wootton Commission) and are not unique to BC. With ICBC, the insurance premium money stays in BC so I wouldn't expect any provincial government abolishing it. A change in compensation scheme (for injuries, at least) might be more likely. If so, expect some strenuous push back from the trial lawyers association and various victims' groups. A few disgruntled Ferrari owners won't matter.

3. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I find that BMW insurance rates are typically higher compared to other luxury brands like Audi and Mercedes. Not sure what the reason behind this is.

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
  5. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    For whatever reason, Vancouverites kept voting in Gregor "moonbeam" Robertson and his commie clan of Vision into city hall. They're the ones who make their own rules and charge whatever they feel like to advance their green and social agendas. Those come at a cost you know...

6. snowmylife

snowmylife Rookie

Mar 6, 2017
    just had to comment on this one haha. Its ridiculous though how much icbc charges for insurance. Im paying 4600$ ish annually for my 2016 Audi A5. Having my BC license for only 2 years could explain though...

7. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mister Dix and the NDP are the last people who should criticize anyone for interference in the operation of ICBC. From the linked article: "Expect Dix and his party to use the short legislative session to continue to berate the B.C. Liberals over its use of ICBC as a political cash cow and its record of political interference in an entity once considered a shining example of public auto insurance to show off to other jurisdictions." The NDP "wrote the book" on such interference!

ICBC could have been dismantled relatively easily in 1975, following the election of the Social Credit government. It was not. The available cash for general revenue was too tempting. Forty-two years later, the cash is still too tempting. I think that we are more likely to see significant system change for injury claims, e.g., "no fault", with ICBC retaining the monopoly on "basic", particularly if the NDP for the next government. Further, I think that private insurers would be reluctant to enter the "basic" market without such changes and that they would only be invited / permitted to do so under a "free enterprise" government. Auto insurance as an election issue? Sure, as it was in 1972 when the NDP won be promising government auto insurance, following the SK and MB models.

As Peter says, "It'll be interesting."

8. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I like ICBC. I like that if you toss me the keys. If I have a car insured with ICBC, I can put the claim on my insurance. I like having auto-plan brokers that are open 8pm and even 9pm on a Sunday. You can get "base" insurance very in expensive. And then purchase private third party coverage for added "protection". I also like that people can keep claims off their insurance. ICBC gives an option to pay back any claims. I also like our court system. Its very easy. If people knew how easy. Lawyers would be out of a job. I like that BC is a global leader in road safety engineering. Our roads are much safer then most other places. I might have a higher threshold of "expensive".

SpyderGT likes this.
  9. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I like ICBC as well. It's not without it's problems and is subject to political interference, but it works better than the alternatives, e.g., look at ON over the past 20 years.

max930 likes this.
  10. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Not too get into "politics". I like that the service for the most part is provided by private owned and operated by "small" business. Most will come too you even with private sales now.... I see the premiums as paying for great service. As apposed to an 800- number to some subsidiaries call center....... It also protects the average person who might otherwise not be able to afford good insurance. And would be stuck with the cheapest they saw on TV!

11. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I absolutely agree with Jon and max930, ICBC has always been good to me. The corporation has been pillaged for years by government.

12. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Granted its maximum coverage, but on my F150 business leased truck. Well they dinged me $2,500 for full coverage. Pricey for a truck in my opinion.

13. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Having bought two (one imported) of my cars in BC and brought them back to Ontario, I can agree 100% that the ICBC/autoplan model is amazing. The rates are actually pretty good (compared to ON), and the service was a hundred times better. I honestly would rather insure my cars under that system than ours.

SpyderGT and max930 like this.
  14. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    My autoplan agent will come to me. House or meet at a local mall. I like the service, etc.. Don't like the debt ICBC is in!

tantumaude and SpyderGT like this.
  15. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I use Belair direct for my high value exotic insurance because they're much cheaper than ICBC.