I love my dry sump glass 308GTB | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I love my dry sump glass 308GTB

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Mar 31, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Well thats the thing, if its good enough for the people from where the car came from to buy, why isnt it good enough for Aussies? I am talking about 30+ year old cars.
    So I pose the question again.

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    This mindset started long before the Internet was popular and it's not just Ferrari, every brand has the locally sold vs grey import groups.

3. j15

j15 F1 Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeh
    Boot size.

4. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Maybe, but the internet makes it worse, especially if there is no basis for it.

signed: Batman of the internet.......protecting the weak and the feable minded.

5. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    :). nice.

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    lol

remembering that I've bought 2 Ferraris from OS, I don't have a fundamental problem with it IF the car isn't available as an Aussie spec car.

There are heaps of obvious issues and difficulties...they've been rehashed a million times, and I won't bother again....

HOWEVER, and ants you know this very well now, try selling a non aussie spec car if there are aussie spec cars aplenty. If there aren't, like in the case of Greg's car, then that's a completely different story.

7. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    but that's the point I want to make. these issues and difficulties are on every car, not just imports.
    Aussie cars to europeans could be perceived in the same way, that's why I say it makes no difference. A good car is a good car, no matter where it came from.
    How do you know an aussie car hasnt been sitting near a beach town all its life, if its been rebuilt and had all its rust removed, just like what you might think a euro car has been on a salty road.

its a silly argument, and grownups and logical people should know better.
    Oh god, did I just say that.

Hence this ridiculous arguement on cars that old.
    It makes no sense whatsoever.

repeat after me: a good car is a good car, no matter where it came from. thats for the individual to decide, and not based on one statement: not aussie delivered.

8. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    and far be it for me to make people do anything. they are their own person.
    but if you are going to make a decision on something, make it on the right basis, not on internet bollocks. its like asian continent whipers (trying to be PC, and not succeeding)

Anways, back to normal programming :)

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It doesn't matter if the thought process is flawed or not...it is what it is.

Meanwhile, you've had your GT4 for sale for, what? 5 or 6 years? yet, I know plenty have sold in that time.

AND btw....I was able to trace the history of my GT4 and GTB all the way back to the original owners. I KNOW it's possible with non aussie spec cars, but it's very difficult if not impossible most of the time.

Having said that, a FCA member just bought a beautiful 328GTS in from the UK with about 8000m on it and managed to talk to every owner since new. Sadly, that's the exception, not the rule.

10. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    #60 ants2au, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
    I think you missed the point, its not about my car. I couldnt care less whether it sells or not. and for the record, officially its 2 years, but who's counting. you are obviously :)

and saying "It doesn't matter if the thought process is flawed or not...it is what it is." well that just summarises it completely

11. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

The key thing is the rarity of the car. Sure if I was looking for a GT4 I would look for an aussie car first, only that the onselling will be problematic if you buy a UK car as you willing be competing against local cars with established history etc. Daytona/Dino/Boxer/C4/glass 308 are in a different category

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    it's a lot more than 2 years mate! you had it for sale well before I bought my GT4....and that's 4 years already.

13. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    **** me was that really 4 years ago, gee time flies.......

14. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    2 years advertised and thats a fact. I have the receipt.

4 years if you count opportunistic word of mouth.

Cant you tell I am bored today......

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #65 Aircon, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You might be right...I might be wrong (but let's face it, that's unlikely) but I don't agree about boxer, dino or ANY 308. Good aussie ones are just not that hard to find.

Need proof?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    4 years at least!! :p

17. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    yeah I cant believe that either lol

18. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    yeah, you cant buy those sort of shades in Europe.

19. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well, I got more for my UK Dino than other Aussie Dinos sold around that time and my boxer sold for the same money as aussie boxers. IMO an Aussie wet sump glass car is worth the same as a dry sump uk car. Steel cars don't count due to numbers made

20. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I like the idea of dry sump, no matter what car its in. Technically, its superior.
    if the only way I can get it is from the UK, then so be it.
    so if its up against an aussie wet sump, sorry, but the UK car wins hands down. Steel or otherwise.

21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    technically, maybe, but in reality dry sump isn't going to make any bloody difference, let's be totally honest here.

None of the QVs and 328s were dry sump....and there's a whole racing series in the UK with 328s.

Anyway, buy what you want....good luck selling it.

That I agree with....if there was something I particularly wanted, then I'd buy it regardless...hence my 328GTB purchase.

But to buy something that was available here and is reasonably available just doesn't make sense.

22. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    #72 ants2au, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
    lol, thats because 328 sumps are different to 308 sumps. thats why they dont surge.
    I had one to fit on my 308 :)
    Being the lazy arse, I didnt, because as you say, it makes no difference on the road.

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    correct...who the hell is going to track one? brett did it a couple of times and gave up. if he's not going to, no one will, so dry sump....phooey...waste of time OR put in gleggy's sump baffle and have the best of both worlds...aussie car with no oil surge even on the track!!

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's not exactly fair. You boxer was a 365 and your dino a GTS...neither of which are easy to find.

25. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Correct I don't think the "aussie is best" rule applies to "rareish" cars. I agree with you ( it does pain me) that where there is plentiful supply like a GT4, or non glass 308, 328 etc you are better off buying the best Aussie delivered car you can find. If you never plan on selling then it doesn't matter