I feel taken advantage of by a major sponsor, do I out them here on Ferrari Chat?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I feel taken advantage of by a major sponsor, do I out them here on Ferrari Chat??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by daveyator, Aug 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I with the majority on this one. You have had a long time to drive the car and things do break and go wrong over time. Unfortunately they are expensive on these cars. I wish you luck in getting things back together without too much cost.

2. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Well as I said it's getting worked over at Fast Cars. If anyone can sort it out it's Craig. It used to be his car at one point so it couldn't be in better hands.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Let me say I hope everything works out for you. But as far as 'outing' a sponsor here, I got to say - from your clarifications, it doesn't sound like they were intentionally trying to bamboozle you. At least to me, that is.

It's hard to be sure if one missed shift is truly just an anomaly. PPIs are not full proof - unless engine codes were getting spit out all the time and/or the missed shift was a regular occurrence, a PPI wouldn't necessarily catch it. By your own admission, the missed shift seemed within 'reason' to be an anomaly. Glad you're getting the car sorted. If you still plan on selling it - having it recently serviced/repaired by Fast Cars hopefully helps you.

Good Luck

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Sorry to hear of the issues. At the end of the day you did buy the car as is so not much recourse. You always have to take everyone's word with a grain of salt.

Maybe they knew about the issues or maybe they didn't. What matters is that you're going to be the one paying for it if it's not discovered before buying. I would say just move on and chalk it up to experience for the next car.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If I bought a used Chevy, drove it 6000 miles in three years and found the motor mounts where shot, I don't think I'd be complaining to the dealer. I'd just get it fixed. I'd be upset but that's life in the used car market.

But that's just me. :)

I'm not saying the seller did the right thing. But there is something to a statute of limitation here.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Owning a Ferrari especially their 1st Ferrari makes some people say, or think, things they normally wouldn't.

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hard, expensive lesson learned. I hate to say this, and in doing so, I do have repesect for many car dealers, but most don't know crap about the cars they sell nor do they do much of anything to make them right.

We do business with many dealers and shops and it's crystal clear who cares and who does not.

I will sight one - Ferrari of Houston. They are awesone. They sell killer cars and want them right.

Others talk about "perfect" cars that they never laid eyes on.

It sucks that some are less than honest but you have to be a wise buyer.

I've heard nothing but excellent reviews of Fastcars so I'm sure you are in good hands now.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

FIFY Fixed It For You

As to the other "stuff." I don't see anywhere in your post that you just found all this out today. In fact, I see that you've attempted to address some of these issues in the past, and more recently, the issues of which you speak.

So, you're telling me that TODAY you found all this out? Today. Yeah, ok, then I guess it's ok that your classified doesn't indicate ANY major issues with the car, past or present.

There are constant attempts here to skewer vendors, dealers and other fchatters. Some are innocent, the, "I just wanted you to know" kind of post that usually name the offending party up front. Others start off hinting at an issue, with the hope that the threat of outing the seller/repair guy/dealer will cause quick action and a resolution that serves the original poster's best interests.

If that's not your intention, great, then why post? Looking for advice? Ok, you've gotten that by now and there should be nothing else to say. But if you're looking for leverage, well, good luck with that.

Oh, and I stand by my original post. Looks to me like you're trying to sell your car without disclosing the major mechanical issues it has/had. And since the original date of the ad is some time ago, one might wonder what was running through your mind at that time. Had you done the first big repair you mention here and soured on the car?

Other than that, I gotta say it's a good looking car that's 15 years old, that needs some work. Why not add that, with details, to your ad and I'll shut up and slink away.

And if it's not for sale, why'd you bump your add 10 days ago?

D

MJGinTX likes this.
  9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Just because they cost more, doesn't make them anything more than a used car. And in actuality, possibly a used car with deferred maintenance that will cost you a **** ton of money.

D

10. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Thanks again for the responses. Guess the lesson is trust no one and be an expert or pay up. Actually owing an exotic means you'll be paying no matter what you do lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    In the OP's defense, if I remember correctly, he said in his ad that he's going to do the major soon and if it doesn't sell by then he'll keep it.

I haven't checked this but just off my memory. Maybe he knew before or maybe he didn't. Have no clue.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Bought and old used car, expects no issues...typical

13. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    the first statements of both posts are somewhat contradictory. We are not insinuating anything. However, most of us here are fairly good readers so we occasionally catch inconsistencies FWIW.
    If one peruse the thread a little more there might be inconsistencies but I am going back to work, break over.

FIFY= Fix It For You

14. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B

No. Just don't like having stuff hidden from me just because I wasn't a Ferrari expert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    They bought the car and flipped it to you is what it sounds like.

16. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Sorry. Probably not the clearest writer obviously. Sorry I started this thread. I can see that in the Ferrari world it's be an expert or be screwed. I can see I simply got sold a cheesy used car by an crafty used car dealer. It's how they make their living. My bad. Nothing to see here. Thanks.

17. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Made it to 3 pages though. Damn, didn't think that was going to happen!

18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Oh lay off the drama. Trying to play the victim when your victim thread didn't go the way you planned isn't becoming.

19. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    before this gets nasty ... ;)

my kind of humor :)

(when I bought my car, I had a head gasket failure 3 hours after purchase ... who`s fault was it ?)

it`s been three years and life is short ... get over it and move on !

20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Are you referring to the car and the dealer you wrote about in this post?

A couple of years back the dealer referenced in that post was involved in a questionable deal that resulted in a long thread and much debate. Hence, I'm loath to defend them, but I don't think you have much of a complaint after all this time.

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wow! I'm amazed. A car dealer sticks it to a naive buyer, and you guys are blaming the buyer? Tuff crowd. Sadly, the reality is even with a PPI and due diligence, buying a used Ferrari is like buying a hand grenade with the pin pulled. Sadly, there's a reason many Ferrari owners don't drive their cars. They're afraid to. These cars are not Porsches.

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Do you think the buyer is a 19 year old kid?

And, buyer beware, right? Plunking down 6 figures for a used car is just as fraught with risk as paying $6,000 for a used Camry. Except the dollars are a bunch bigger.

I think the issue here is not if the dealer stuck the buyer, that may have happened, we don't really know that yet. I think it's the time frame that has us amused. THREE YEARS is a long time to go thinking the dealer who sold you a used car should fix **** that happens. The time for that is when you first buy the car. And, that's why getting a 60-90 day warranty from the dealer can go a long way to avoiding this kind of mess.

Got that on the 360 I bought from a Ferrari dealer. They ended up doing maybe $4-5K worth of fixes that popped up in the first 60 days of ownership, even fixed something even though the warranty was technically expired by a couple weeks.

"As is, no warranty" was clearly displayed in the window of this car before the OP bought it, state law requires it.

D

24. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Looking at the ad, it looks like the 6k miles you've put on it are almost a third of its miles. Seems certainly within the realm of possibilities that the transmission mounts were fine when you bought it and have degraded since then. Calling them a "Crafty used car dealer" without any proof that they knew about it seems quite out of line.

I don't see any excuse for being surprised at the cost of the key fob. They told you one was missing and the cost could have been found with a 10s internet search.

25. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Wow Are you really serious??? After three years and 6000 miles you think the dealer tricked you??? Give us a break! Fix it and get on with your life. :)