How to purchase/ship without PayPal? | FerrariChat

How to purchase/ship without PayPal?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JimEakin, Oct 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I want to purchase exhaust mufflers from an FChatter. He doesn't have PayPal. He requested I send a check for $550, which I'm reluctant to do. He doesn't want to send COD, not sure how he gets paid (I don't know how that works, either).

I can pays my money and takes my chances, not that it's a big amount of money. I like PayPal since my credit card company covers liability.

Any suggestions?

2. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Escrow service

3. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It would only take him a short time to set up with PayPal then it would cover his rear as well.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    What's his post history here? If the guy has been a member for 2 weeks and has 6 posts - don't do it. If he has been here 10 years and 1000 posts - probably not much to worry about. And, I know people hate the thought - but speak to him on the phone - don't do every thing via email / PM ;)

Many people don't want to use PP coz the fees and the fact that PP offers no real protection for the seller - they 99% side with the buyer even if the seller is a bum ;)

5. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks, Dave.
    11 year member, 4,000 posts.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'd say you likely don't have much to worry about. I deal with a lot of guys here, business and personal - some really outstanding guys.

7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I think since he's a long time member it should be okay.

Do communicate over email or text so you have everything in writing in case things do go sour.

If you really want PayPal protection, offer that you'll pay the fees (4%). If he still adamantly refuses, then I would be a little skeptical.

8. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    We worked it out. He's sending COD and I'm providing cashier's check.

Thanks for everyone's comments, much appreciated.

9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't use PP for these sorts of things. I get his bank account numbers, go to my bank, and transfer the money directly. A teller can do it.