How many 348 Challenge cars were made | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How many 348 Challenge cars were made

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by 87testa, Oct 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The 32/13 number (45) is for NA cars. :)

Yes the 348's raced in '93-'96.

I have some new photos from the '93 season. I'll try to post some later tonight.

Heinz's car (driven by Ragazzi) is prominently featured in the '93 yearbook.

Robb

2. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #27 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looking forward to the pictures, thanks Robb.

Yes the Yearbook, great picture, double page.

Here is a picture wirh Mark Gene Ferrari Challenge 20 Years Celebration with the little 348.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The text in the 1993 (end of Year) Ferrari Yearbook:

"It was a very positive inaugural year, which saw the final Ferrari 348 Challenge race at Mugello with 25 Italian and 34 foreign (Other European) participants, aligned together to competitively battle on the track. They were admired by an enthusiastic public and fans, including the Ferrari factory workers with Executives and Formula 1 drivers as well as a host of previous veteran champions and illustrious personalities of the automotive world. The event will be repeated in 1994 , with the series in Italy and Europe , and will also be organized in the United States."

SO - that makes a minimum of 59 (European) 348 challenge cars that competed in 1993 before the US season began in 1994, 1995, and 1996 or the Japanese series with 348 Challenge cars ran in 1995 and 1996.

Hope this helps us move toward celebrating a concrete history and debunking old myths. They are great low-production cars. Let's all try to get it right for the Ferrari enthusiasts, collectors, and owners everywhere. Great stuff.

Robb

4. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Well done Robb. Great Cars absolutly. And here most of them are street legal.

5. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Update:

Just getting the records translated. It takes a while.

1993 series:
    (59) 348 Challenge cars competed all from Europe.

1994 series:
    So far we have (125) 348 Challenge cars that competed in all the combined world series based on the records from Ferrari SPA.

36 in the North American series
    4 in the Japanese series
    85 for all the European Series

Will try to finalize 1995 on Sunday.

Robb

6. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Great work Robb.

7. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
    Interesting information thank you! Look forward to seeing if the numbers get bottomed out. I wonder how many of these cars are left too?

I own a 348 Challenge that took part in Italian series in 1993 and the West European Challenge in '94 & '95.

From the small amount of information I've found it looks like the '93 Italian series had 20 drivers take part and grids seemed to vary between 16 to 19.

My car was driven by Saverio Castellaneta in '93 (2nd overall and 1st in the under 25 section) Followed by Alan Li in '94 and Martin Henderson in '95 both competing in the West European Challenge.

I don't seem to be able to upload any pictures but I have a few on Ferrari 348 Challenge race car from 1993

My car is currently in the body shop where the 1993 race livery is being restored.

8. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #33 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Mar 6, 2016
  9. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #34 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Mar 6, 2016
  10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Very very nice !!!!

I found a number, actually 2 on my 348 on body panels trhat come off for engine service, now I just need to start tracking the history

11. e21jason

e21jason Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My car came from japan with the challenge kit fitted (bar the seats) is there anyway to find out if it had a race history

J

12. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Yes, let us know your serial number through posting or PM.

Robb

13. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    So to answer the million dollar question that is posed regularly - How many 348 Challenge cars were made...

I am proud to provide the answer to a variant - How many 348 Challenge cars RACED in the Ferrari Challenge Series...

The answer is 240 different cars in all series European / Italian, North American, and Japan - 1993 to 1996.

I am missing 20 serial numbers so will try to get those added and then will be happy to share the full, finalized list with the enthusiasts and owners. :D I will repeat that I am not an expert but simply an enthusiast and challenge car owner with excellent friends, contacts, and bookshelves full of magazines, books, and other technical documents.

Are there additional 348 Challenge cars that dd not race in the series? - Yes. So you can add those to the mix on top of the 240 Worldwide and contact your local Classiche Authorized Ferrari Dealer for your verification and authentication.

The breakdown is the following:

European / Italian - 124
    North American - 81
    Japanese - 35

I'm sure, there will be numerous barn find opportunities out there. Almost done with the F355's...

That was a lot of research and brain damage... I need a vacation.

Robb

LightGuy and Ferrari 308 Vetro like this.
  14. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Good work Robb. I didnt think that there were only 32 as thought by many.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I was told by the gentleman who created the Challenge Series for Ferrari that the North American market 348 Challenge cars were the only factory built Challenge cars. The widely accepted number for that is 32 TBs and 13 TSs. I have found two TBs that are not on the list that are factory cars, so we know there is some wiggle room there.

I've asked Robb before if someone at the factory has directly refuted that but I've never gotten an answer. Therefore, I believe that 45 car number is pretty close to accurate for the factory built challenge cars.

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Lots of parts to make other 348's challange spec

I have fresh never installed roll cage mounts to make another "challange" car
    Many cars were raced in different configurations. like Robb said barn finds are coming out of the woodwork now. Seen 2 this week alone

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have no doubt that there are lots of converted 348 Challenge cars but as far as the Factory built challenge cars, I feel good that the original number is mostly accurate. Until someone at the factory with direct knowledge or someone like Marcel says something different, that number should be pretty solid with everyone.

18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I totally agree

I raced my duramax diesel truck but I cant call it a factory racer because it was "on the track"

:)

19. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Most folks agree that there are in fact only 32 factory 348CH tb cars- the higher numbers reflect: (i) 13 factory 348CH ts cars; and (ii) a bunch of "converted" tb and ts cars that, unlike the factory cars, required additional dealer mods.
    I've owned- and extensively driven- one of each (a factory car and a fully dealer-converted one), and although the factory car is a bit quicker, there are a lot of variables here.

20. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Hi Robb,

Did you ever post the completed list with serial numbers?

Thanks,

Jason

21. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    So here is 1995 North America. I see in many Cavallino issues from back in period, they have serial numbers for the non-NA races.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Robb- do you have a list of all of the 348 the cars by s/n by chance?

22. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I will try to finish up my research project this winter and get the info posted with the records accessible to all.

Great history.

Robb

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  23. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
    That'll be great to see, thanks Robb.

24. Carscape

Carscape Rookie