Half Mile events and results | FerrariChat

Half Mile events and results

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by proceres40, Jul 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. proceres40

proceres40 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rafael López
    Hello fellow Ferraristi... Rafael here from Puerto Rico. I have attended two half mile events in PR (Fast or Nothing) Home and wanted to post and, if possible, compare others results. These events I've ran in are STANDING half miles (certified 2640 ft)

My personal 1998 F355 Manual Trans (Ex F1)- 138.29 mph

Mods:
    1. Fabspeed headers
    2. Tubi test pipes
    3. Complete Stand Alone Megasquirt MS3 PRO ECU w/ custom wiring and MAP sensor conversion (Modified air boxes to go straight to plenusm like in the Motronic 2.7)
    4. Weigh reduction (carbon door panels, no sound deadening, no carpets, carbon buckets)
    5. Stebro muffler
    6. K&N filters
    7. ported and polished heads

2. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It looks like you are having a blast, so good on you for that. But forgive me, I have to ask. Why would you do 1/2 mile drag racing in a car that is not built for it? It seems to me that the low end torque just isn't there in these cars to get the launch you would want. The real sweet spot is in maintaining the high rpm horse power, combined with the handling characteristics to make for a balanced road racing machine.

For a straight line 1/2 mile, I might prefer to just put a set of fat slicks on the back of a Camaro and have at it. (Camaros can't turn anyway... :) )

3. proceres40

proceres40 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rafael López
    Actually,just the launch is only where... for a couple of seconds... the car is at low rpms. I lauched at about 3k rpms and it was sweet. after that it's all high revs (mine is red lining at 8800 rpms) and I shift into 5th flat out before I get to the half mile. it's lots of fun... funny how there are a lot of events around the country, both half and full mile, and only lambo drivers show up... LOL

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Sounds like fun! Great pics, I would like to try this.

What weight is your car now and have you had it on a dyno or ran it in the 1/4?

5. proceres40

proceres40 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rafael López
    Actually yes, they are fun. There are a couple of vids on youtube. I've ran years ago it was a high 13's pass completely stock with high humidity and as far as dyno time goes... my car has peaked at 290 whp on a dyno jet, which seems awkward since the car feels a LOT faster than those number suggests and pulls hard in all gears up to sixth.

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Tried finding your youtube vid but was unsuccessful.

Did it make 290 when stock or after the mods?

Still, pretty strong MPH so I think you did good!

7. proceres40

proceres40 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rafael López
    actually when I tuned it, it runs EXCELLENT at 13.2:1 A/F ratio.... i'll upload the vids later... stock it peaked at 288 or something... after all mods it made like 290 on a VERY hot night with Puerto Rico's HIGH (80-90%) humidity. but it seems the area under the curve was all that changed really... but peak HP is not at 8250 anymore... the graph on the dyno kept climbing past 8500 rpm so i'm shifting at 8700-8800

8. proceres40

proceres40 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rafael López
    #9 proceres40, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Rafael - your pics look great!

If you have not already, check out https://shift-s3ctor.com/ - there are some stats buried in there of various cars.

Cheers