Hagerty's "teach a kid to drive a manual" events | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hagerty's "teach a kid to drive a manual" events

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Alden, Mar 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. not so hard as far as youngsters are concerned these days. Here's the lesson:

To shift up, pull this paddle. To shift down, pull that one. 'Simple as a turn signal son (or daughter)......... :(

:D

2. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Look on the bright side...car thefts are frequently foiled b/c the dummies can't drive stick.

Both daughters learned to drive stick on the older ones A4. They each taught a few boyfriends.

3. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    My 12 year daughter already knows she'll be learning stick. Uncertain how enthusiastic she is, or will be, about that but to me it's just a basic (if dying) skill.

Pretty cool with the hagerty program that it's classic cars - not just about learning to drive stick, but also encouraging interest in the cars generally. Wish they had one around here, I'd take my alfa spider in a heartbeat. When I was in high school and college many of my friends had never driven stick an I enjoyed teaching the ones that wanted to learn.

4. emcauto

emcauto Karting

Jul 1, 2009
    Maybe show the kids a 3-on the tree column shift and see how long they stare at it?

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yep, I had a Chevy van I used for work (I painted houses on the weekends to make money) when I was in college, I was the only person who could drive it without jamming the shift linkage.

Gotta be smooth!
    Alden