Gearbox whine but trouble finding the issue. | FerrariChat

Gearbox whine but trouble finding the issue.

Discussion in '348/355' started by FSM348, Oct 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I noticed a slight whine which was most noticeable in 2nd/3rd while decelerating. My car has no cats or mufflers so it's possible it whines in other conditions but just not audible over the exhaust.

I noticed the TOB has a slight noise to it while at idle until the clutch pedal is pressed as well.

So I dropped the gearbox (thanks for the tech support Ernie!) fearing a loose ring nut but after checking all the ring nuts they are still staked and "appear" tight. The bevel gear has some very small marks beginning in the face of the teeth with a corresponding marks on it's mating gear. It appears very minor but is noticeable on careful inspection. My assumption is that the bearing is bad causing play in the (layshaft ?) 1st gear has a slight bit of play. If it isn't supposed to have play then that give credibility to my idea that the bearing is in fact bad allowing the play in the shaft which allows the bevel gear to not align right with it's mating gear causing the slight markings on the face of the teeth.

So replace the outer bearing on the drivers side of the layshaft? Should I check anything else? All the other visible gears around the box appear okay and all the ring nuts (including the ring nut under the throw out bearing) are all staked and appear to be tight.

2. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    How are you guys locking the box so that the ring nuts can be removed to replace bearings? I've tried putting it in reverse and 2nd but with reverse engaged I cannot get any other gear.

Also, are there any cheaper variations to the 4 outer bearings on the gearbox? I'm replacing mine as preventative maintenance. I assume the ring nuts can be reused?

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    FBB. And Ernie wake up!!

Not sure where you are from, based on profile, but I felt for the risk it was not worth it and took it to fast cars in cali.
    They took it apart and installed my parts for a couple grand.
    Looking at the tolerances etc not much room for error I thought.

4. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Totally understandable to take it to folks who know what they are doing. In my case, I wrench on my race cars and street cars alike. I've just never dug this far into a street gearbox because most racing boxes have a 5th-reverse shift position ( sequential dog ring box ) so I'd rather be safe and ask than sorry and broke.

In my case the gears look fine other than some very small and very light pitting on the face of the teeth on the bevel gear. Being that it's over $3k to replace and it is in perfectly usable condition I'm sure it will be fine once I replace the bearings and tighten the ring nuts correctly so there is no more play.

Ernie actually texted me a little bit ago after chatting with FBB so I should be good to go on getting the ring nuts off. Getting them torqued back on for installation might require some more thinking though.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Did you ever get the ring nuts off?

6. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    About to try right now. Impact gun and a shop rag wedged in the bevel gear.

yelcab likes this.
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The old shop rag trick ...

8. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Really struggling to find a bearing puller that can get the bearings out by the outside of the inner race. None are fitting and after grinding the teeth of a 3 jaw puller one of the arms cracked when trying to pull the bearing. Anybody have a picture of the setup they used to pull the bearings on the oil pump side?

SIDE NOTE: I think I'm just going to pull the outer bearings on the oil pump side and tighten the ring nuts correctly with lots of 271. I am pulling the engine this winter anyways so we will see if this fixes the problem and if not I will just address the other bearings during the engine out service.

9. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Okay, the bearings look perfectly fine and I'm not going to pull them. I had a local transmission shop actually take a look at them for me and they could find no visible issues with them. I'm actually curious if just re torquing the ring nuts and using some red thread locker will do the job to get rid of the whine. If not, I'll address it when I do the engine out in a couple months.

I am, however, having one hell of a time trying to get reverse and 2nd gears engaged so I can torque the ring nuts. I can get every single gear by itself engaged but once a gear is engaged I can't get any other gear to go into place. Has anybody else had this issue?

Also, I was thinking of torquing to 160 ft-lbs which is a little over the 154 ft-lbs (210nm) Ferrari calls for just to make sure the nut is nice and tight.

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Mine worked fine. Maybe that's the problem something is out of spec for tolerance

11. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    That is an interesting notion. I'm trying to find a way that 2 gears not engaging at the same time might be tied to another part of the gearbox yet still allow each gear to engage at a time. Somebody more knowledgeable about synchro's would have to chime in for that one. Too top it off, like a dope I got the rag stuck behind the bevel gear. Ernie sure got a laugh out of it when I told him, haha.

12. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    When you strike some forward gear on you have to loosen reverse fork of its shaft to get it engaged. It may take force to get it, becouse synchro cones tries to grab together and stuff needs to get aligned before it goes

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Very difficult to diagnose noises over the Internet.. going back to the 1st post you have a noise on decel.. its very likely to be a gear noise rather than a bearing. Its possible it will have to go back in the car and driven by somebody who knows what that particular sound may indicate. Then it's removed, stripped and inspected. As a side note... a gearbox oil change can help with certain noises.

14. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Andy, after looking at the bearings I agree with your guess on the gearbox. They were all in very good condition. The very slight marks on the bevel gear indicate there was some slack between the two and I now believe the layshaft ring nut was not fully tightened when the box was last rebuilt. Also, when I changed the gear oil from whatever was last in there to the Red Line 75w90NS the whine was more apparent.

I will try again to get the gears engaged so I can tighten the ring nut

15. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Are you saying to engage reverse, then align a forward gear, then disengage reverse, then engage the already aligned forward gear, then re-engage the reverse gear (which should already be aligned from before). Correct?

I will try this. I have yet to get reverse and any forward gear engaged together still!

16. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    Hmm, im not sure did i get what you said. But, you cannot get forward and reverse engaged at same time unless you loosen either fwd or r fork of its shaft.

17. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Are the shafts indexed to make it easy to return the fork back to proper position?

18. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    You could mark it, but that its already open you can measure and get them centered with little effort anyway

19. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Okay, thanks for the heads up. Was able to get the two gears engaged after loosening the fork.

I got both the drivers side ring nuts tightened plus 10% over spec with plenty of red threadlocker. There is still the same amount of play in the layshaft which allows a small amount of clearance between the bevel and mating gear. I would think there would need to be a small amount of clearance designed into the gears correct? I can't detect any lateral play in the shafts themselves so perhaps it's the clutch shaft not being tight? All the gears have a very small amount of movement but I assume this has to be designed into the box. I've never seen a gearbox with gears that didn't rock ever so slightly from designed tolerances.

The whine is definitely a mechanical noise of a bearing or gear. It can't be a wheel bearing because when I press the clutch pedal in the noise goes away immediately. Could this be the throw out bearing afterall? I know these clutches are very strangely designed creatures. Heck, there were arguments from some pretty smart folks on what the grub screw on the flywheel ring nut even does!

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Dan,

Sorry to be late to the party. E told me there was a thread but I never put 2 and 2 together until now. I also hate the new Fchat format so I'm not on as much and it is hard to read for my eyes. E never said what the issue was just asked me stuff and I answered him like the rag trick. I never had an issue locking shafts. I do fine with a rag and a very high quality impact gun. I just built tools as I needed them to do the job. It is possible that tightening what appears to be tight will reduce the noise. There is slack in the shafts that all comes home in complete assembly. I say use 271 because you can't get the thing oil free and clean so your 271 spec is something less but 241 is just not adequate. I recommend taking clutch shaft out and tightening that too and the ringnut to the bevel gear behind the small cover on the bellhouse side. There is a way cheaper way than buying some of the ferrari outer proprietary bearings. Use the Reiner bearing. Reiner is a physicist 347 owner. Super smart guy. I helpped him rebuild his gearbox but mostly just gave moral support. He figured it out just fine. We have this aerospace bearing rebuilder who is skilled not just a bearing supplier. He got a bearing the size of the ferrari case bearings with the lip but without the ferrari lip. He cut a slot in the bearing race exterior and added a snap ring which became the lip. Voila perfect bearing cheap as dirt even with the cost of customization. In Indy there has to be guys who can do that in the racing capital of the world. Try using some simple autoparts 75/90 mobil1 gear oil. Lots of people love redline. I'm just not impressed. These cars driving rarely stuff happens throwout bearings can make noise and whine and weird noise comes from bearing riding over sticky from disuse pressure plate fingers.

Too bad we did not meet at Indy. I had a fun week despite my engine blowing up spectacularly with 3 laps to go. I was moving through the line up picking people off one by one and dropping my laptimes the kablamo. I have basically had 3 rebuilt engines in 1 year and still can't get one that runs. So much for simple 350 chevy motors. I will have to just build it myself.

21. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Thanks FBB. Yup, I qualified 13th which was much further back than I should have been. I got up to 11th in just a couple laps but spun going over the rumble strips exiting turn 4. After 29 seconds!!!! I was finally back on track and was 26th but finished 12th. It was very cool taking the checkered flag at the most storied race track in the world and seeing my name and position on the tower as I passed the pagoda each time.

22. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    So, what about shimming the bevel gear? It really looks like the bevel gear and mating gear on the layshaft have play which should not be there. I can move the cv flange back and forth and see the bevel and mating gear just barely clank together through the motion. Surely there shouldn't be play there? It also is aligned with the marks on the bevel gear and mating gear.

I also noticed the main bolt holding the CV flange to the diff had a ton of sealant behind the large washer I assume to stop a previous leak. Plus, there is a little movement in the CV flanges so perhaps the bearings are toast. I'm going to check it out. Feels good to put this beautiful car back to great condition but definitely a learning curve on some of the eccentricities. Can't wait to drop the motor this winter...:rolleyes:

23. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Okay, after the last post a light bulb went off in my head. Went out to the garage and pulled the passenger side CV flange outward to see if that took up the slack in the bevel/mating gear mesh. Yup, I think that's the problem with the whine and marks on the face of the teeth. With the outward force applied to the passenger CV flange it brings the bevel gear in full contact with the mating gear and the play is completely gone. I caught this JUST in time before any damage occurred. So either the bearing behind the CV flange has started to fail and is out of spec or the bevel gear is not shimmed correctly.

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Could be either. But if the box was right before then the shim behind the bevel gear is right. When you reassemble the box you have a special tool to measure this. If you don't you assemble the box with shim and test the bevel gear mesh with Prussian blue and adjust the shim until you get the right gear mesh. You can change the bearings at the cv and then test and see. If no good go after the bevel gear shim. They come in different sizes like a valve tappet.

25. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    So the spacers with varying thickness (#12) are what is used to pull the diff from one side to another? How much play (if any) should I allow between bevel and mating gear?

Also, is the bearing pressed into the diff side cover? The cover is being a total PITA to get off and I'm worried about applying any more force to it for fear it may crack.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login