gas smell | FerrariChat

gas smell

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by philvecc, Aug 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    I have an 89 TR that occasionally has a gas smell when parked in the garage. It comes and goes every few months, but there are no visible leaks that I can see. Is there any pressure relief valve or solenoid that could be sticking and releasing fumes ?

2. anconbrat

anconbrat Karting

Jul 9, 2011
    East central Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Morton
    Phillip...if this gas smell has been happening for months, you are asking for trouble. Having had a bad experience with gas, I can't stress strong enough to get this taken care of. I have no idea what the cause is, but I know it's nothing to put off till later. Like the guy says on TV..."git er done". Best of luck to you.

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I had something similar on my '87 TR. It turned out to be a leak from around the fuel distributor. Of course Ferrari wanted to sell me the entire system for several thousand dollars. When I looked at it, the leak was coming from a small black box that was attached to the side of the fuel distributor. It also had a Bosch part # on it. Ferrari only would sell the whole system. I took the part to a Porsche shop and they stated that 911's used the same K-Jetronic system and that this particular piece failed often.

Long story short, it was $40 and 20 minutes to install and never gave me trouble for the next 10 years I owned the car.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Check the connection of plumbing at the fuel filter.....to and from. I bet money there is a slight leak there.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Whatever it is -- get it fixed. Vapors will easily ignite with a spark.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Check fuel hoses from fuel fillerneck to tank...and cross over hoses if there are two tanks.

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The fuel return hoses from the injection rails to the tops of the fuel tanks are a common source of fuel leakage/smell. They are often overlooked when doing an engine out service.
    They are just a single layer braided 8mm rubber hose and the rubber cracks and leaks.

8. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    Thanks for the quick replies. I checked the in/out fittings on the fuel filters and they are clean and dry. This started three days ago and I had no problem all summer. Last time was several months ago and it lasted a few days. I'll check the "little black boxes" next.

9. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The fuel return hoses are the most likely leakage area on a Testarossa. I would check them next. Very easy to do. One black braided rubber hose on each side of the motor at the front from the fuel rail to small fittings on the tops of the fuel tanks.

10. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Same issue on my 91TR. No ethanol in the gas here in Dubai, but something keeps killing the large diameter hose which connects the tanks. I replace that hose at each timing belt change (5 years) as a matter of course. As there is a metal shield beneath the tanks which catches any drips you will not see a puddle, but as it slowly weeps on the metal plate under the tanks before it evaporates you will smell it from time to time.

I always use the OEM hose ($$), but there might be proven alternatives.

11. Michael Foreman

Jul 11, 2017
    Northeast PA
    Full Name:
    Michael Foreman
    Seen a lot of seals, fuel line, etc degrade from ethanol lately. Splitting, cracking, and swelling are common.

Have it towed and checked out on a lift, change all of the lines if they've never been done.

12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Definitely check out all the hints above. I had the same issue on my 88.5 TR and one thing I recommend to help you isolate it: release the fuel cap and listen for hissing. The fuel tank builds up pressure and I do not think it is vented.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Phil, could be the evap system venting due to temp changes. It's gotten pretty cool these nights lately, or if the car was parked hot (i.e. pressure in the tanks). Alternatively, could be s stuck 2-way valve or rollover valve.

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I had the very similar issue ..had to pour a ultra voilet dye in gas and use black light to see it...ended up one of the smaller tubes on gas filler pipe ..the dye worked like a charm

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

15. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I would first check evidence of fuel leakage with the car on a lift. If you cannot find the source of the leakage/fuel smell, the next step is to check the evaporative emissions system using a smoke test machine, it will check the extent of the leakage, and if there is a leak smoke will come out of it.

16. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    Thanks again for the help.
    I didn't realize that my son had filled the tank on the 27th, and he said he "topped" it off. The gauge read just over the full mark, so I took it out for a drive on Wed. and it now reads just under full. The smell has been a lot less for the last two days. I'll drive it again over the holiday and if it eliminates the smell then I'll feel comfortable it was caused by over filling.
    I still took your advice and checked the fuel return hoses. Both the hoses and clamps look new and were probably done at the last major completed in Dec. '16. We had replaced all hoses, clamps, and even nuts and bolts to freshen up the engine bay. Repainted the red crinkle, the silver crinkle, and the silver on the block, as a part of the major. The work was done by IFS in Easton, MA and the car looks and runs better than it has in years. And John's comment after he finished was it is the best looking and running TR he has seen in a long time. FYI, it now has 49,494 mi. on it, and I have owned it since Apr. '97.
    If the smell persists, the next step will be to check the tank hoses.
    Have a great holiday....

17. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I had an annoying fuel smell which took me a long time to discover. Sometimes worse than others. I did a thorough EO service and everything was squeaky clean and fresh. Finally --- I saw a small but fresh drop on the connection of a tank crossover hose (Again - fresh rubber). I snugged the hose clamp, and it did tighten up more securely. I 'm pretty happy - seems like that was it. I went over all of the other hoses, and found the odd one here and there that tightened up a bit. After an EO, there's so many things that must be checked and re-checked. I found a hose rub spot which wasn't really a problem, but looking at the assembly fresh after some time, I was able to re-orient just a little to center up the parts. This is kind of the pride in ownership stuff.

18. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Not sure if you found the source to the smell but take a look at this video. I just replaced both of the EHA's on my 86, pretty tough to spot this unless you really look for it, you need to pressurize the fuel system which can be done without running the car by jumping the fuel pumps to run for a few seconds. Good luck.