Forgotten Race Track Washington D.C. | FerrariChat

Forgotten Race Track Washington D.C.

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Caphill, Jul 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    #1 Caphill, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was biking along the river and noticed a lot of tires piled up near RFK stadium. It turns out DC had a racetrack at some point. Today I drove over in my 360 and did a little drive around the circuit. I feel like I found a hidden gem. I can drive to a 'track' within five minutes of my home. This is wild! I love seeing the clouds reflect in the deep blue paint. If there are any other Ferrari guys in DC, we should do a meet up at RFC and have a spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GWQd4FdBfI
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    That's great! The YouTube video is great, too! It looks like a real temptation . . . .

3. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
  4. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Nice video. When it started I expected more spirited driving though =)

5. Fast Rev

Fast Rev Rookie

Feb 4, 2007
    Linthicum, MD
    I also attended the 2002 Cadillac GP.
    I thought it may have been the start of something ongoing but it was not.

Likewise, the race through the Inner Harbor of Baltimore was a great event. The city leadership lacked the vision to understand what an international motorsport event can do for a city. After three years, they cancelled the event for a one-time football game.

6. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    There is only so much spirited driving I feel comfortable doing in a classic car Mikael-F360! I'll definitely go back and explore the track some more on a weekday when the farmers' market isn't there. I have to make sure I keep it safe when I drive. I don't want to cause an accident due to my inexperience. the best part of it for me was the lack of other vehicles, and no risk of speeding tickets. I was able to just enjoy the car.

That video was really fun ProRallyCodriver. It was nice seeing real race cars on the same track I just drove. I'm still a bit shocked by the track discovery. It's just sitting there crying out for use!

Anyone want to have an improvised track day?

7. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Why not just go to operating track with the safety barriers and runoffs in place, EMS, experienced corner workers. instructors, ......?

8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wonder if this is private property? At about the 5 minute mark on the video, I see a pickup truck pull out across the "track" followed by a mother and tiny pedestrians crossing the "track." If ad hoc track days become too popular, I expect the owners/police will shut it down.

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    why would you think this was okay?

10. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I was not driving particularly fast, and I only drove the track after asking the police officer if it was ok. I'm not suggesting an actual race, just a place where we can hear and see the cars without having to do so on the street!

The more and child were 20-30 feet away from me, and I was not speeding in that area.

11. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    An officer told you it was ok to drive on the track built into the soccer stadium parking?

12. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Good grief - go find a hole and lay in it..

13. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    ?

Who pissed in your cheerios?

It was an honest question about the cop as I'm very surprised. Get three exotics down there driving "laps" and best case you'll just be chased off.... worst case it'll be a legal issue that'll cost more than a track day to sort properly. That's all. The property isn't abandoned at all.

The history of the track is pretty interesting. Caused lots of conflict.

14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There were a lot of reasons why the Baltimore race didn't continue. I think it was more about vendors not being paid then it was a lack of vision.

15. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I was at the race in 2002 as well. ALMS originally had a 10 year contract but so many residents complained about the noise that they canceled it after one race. I recall most if not all of the drivers raving about the track.. it's a shame they couldn't make it work. DC United's new stadium is currently under construction in Buzzard Point, so I'm not sure what will happen with RFK and the surrounding area.

16. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They ran a rallycross there either a year or two ago, and last year (but sadly not this year) PCA Potomac did Autocross in a nearby parking lot. Happy to give you a heads-up next time they autocross there

17. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

Hi Robin! Lee Anne and I were there as well, great access to the pits, great viewing from the stands, loads of fun! The only downside was the wet green paint in the bleachers did not go well with my wife's shorts. Otherwise, it was a well-organized event. Too bad it was a one trick pony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Would be great if they scheduled a race in this area again. The closest IMSA races are VIR and Watkins Glen.

19. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    Didn't know there was a race there. Would have been a surprise to a lot of folks on the Orange line Metro subway that bisects the track and dives under at the left middle of the picture. Looky there, honey at them racer cars...
    DC Metro police still use the lot for high speed training.

20. flagger

flagger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2011
    West Virginia
    Race ran in the opposite direction from the video. Very hot (weather) weekend but great racing.

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  22. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    With Formula E the noise wouldn't be as much of an issue. Hmmm.

23. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I campaigned a Triumph TR3A twice in the early 60s at Marlboro and did reasonably well.
    It had some odd turns but for the most part we enjoyed it.

Another interesting track was the Vineland Speedway on Delsea Drive in South Jersey.
    There were Can_Am cars racing there.

Bob Z.

24. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  25. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed