FOR SALE - Michael Schumacher's F2001 | FerrariChat

FOR SALE - Michael Schumacher's F2001

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Is it Schumacher's family selling it?

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I have'nt come across anything saying IF they are........yet. A part of me wants to say yes but its all speculation. IF they are, they will probably go through a third party to keep things "anonymous" as to who the seller is.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hmm. If it really is theirs and they are selling it and we have the recent report/speculation from Bravo (I know, I know): Could they be running out of $? I can only imagine the staggering costs of a 24x7 medical staff in Switzerland. Maybe a relocation to TX might be in the cards and would help reduce the costs.

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    i would think Michael as got a huge insurance policy...shouldn't they be banking his daily cares?

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Should not go Pro be funding the bill ?

7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    :D

8. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wouldn't that be great to own!

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The care he receives goes WAY BEYOND what anybody else would do, could pay for and insurance would cover.

10. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    It isn't (nor ever has been) owned by the Schumacher family.

11. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Most of the F1 cars are not owned by F1 drivers.

jjmalez likes this.
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for that clarification.

13. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Fantastic. If I had enough funds, I'd love to own a Schumacher-piloted car.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. The last I read his net worth was ONLY $800 million. :(

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Schumacher's estimated net worth back in 2010 was @ $804 Million, so I suspect that by the time he left Mercedes F1 in 2012, his net worth would have been reasonably higher than that.

Providing the family have been careful with the various businesses and investments (and I can't see Corinna being reckless with the family's finances), it would be quite hard to burn through that sort of money, even with the 24/7 care now needed for Michael (Not impossible, but let's not forget, 1% interest on $804 Million would give $8 Million per year, 2.5% would yield $20 Million, and 5% would yield $40 Million)

As for the car for sale: $4 Million? - I might have been tempted, but that sort of money, I'd want a "Marlboro" liveried with the original, race worn stickers on it, so it's a "no sale!" here! ;)

16. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    That's a good point, why has the livery been taken off?

17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #18 jgonzalesm6, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    I believe it has something to do with the tobacco law in European countries. I also have noticed a while back that all of Ferrari's F1 cars(Corsa Clienti) during that period (Marlboro signage) have all been "stripped" of their tobacco liveries.

I realize that this F2001 being sold has the serial # and documentation stating that MSC drove it but as Phil stated, I also would want the original livery.....heck its stateside so why would'nt it be allowed to put it on IF the NEW owner is within the states. IF European buyer, then I guess they would have to adhere to the tobacco law.

18. How does that work? I'm unaware of the laws over there, but if you're the owner in Europe and have to abide even outside the jurisdiction, how'd Ferrari use the livery at all? 'Laws changed since then I take it.... :confused:

Gadzooks, rather inhibiting on the simple citizen, eh? :(

God bless America, at least for now....

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Just had to check my collection to see whether I have a part of "that car" but alas: My engine valves are from the 2002 car. Another great Ferrari year. :)

20. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Really hoping they do a full preview and I’m hoping to get a press pass or something to get to see this.

Rob, wanna give me the FChat employer name and I’ll document for the board?!

21. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    TBH, My post was a tongue in cheek reason for turning down spending $4 Million on this car.

Looking into the tobacco livery side of things in more detail though, it seems that privately owned historic cars can still run with the Tobacco livery, so long as the car originally ran with it, and no money is paid/accepted to run the livery (that would be classified as tobacco sponsorship).

Added to that, I don't think the tobacco livery restrictions are applied that closely when it comes to privately owned historic cars anyway.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yes, I've seen tobacco liveries on historic cars still running up the hill at Goodwood. The Penske Indy cars had the Marlboro logos on them this past Goodwood and looked phenomenal.

The laws in Europe would make sense if Ferrari, who still receives sponsorship money from Marlboro, ran the cars under their ownership. If it's a Corsa Clienti car, I don't see how that law would apply. I understand that some of the cars are stored at the factory, but the ownership is different. Regardless of ownership, they should still be grandfathered in given the age and fact the law didn't apply then.

It's a shame as the cars look better in true form.

23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I think that as a business, Ferrari have to be more careful when it comes to the laws on tobacco liveries ( and careful about not offending people), and so err on the side of caution and remove the Marlboro liveries.

Once in the hands of the customer though, then I'm pretty sure the Marlboro livery can be re-applied without issue by the customer.

TBH, despite all of the Millions of Dollars spent on tobacco advertising over the years in motorsport, I don't believe a single person has started smoking because they saw a tobacco liveried car on track.

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree and if they do, it's their own fault imo.