FINALLY SOLVING THE 19" 575 MODULAR WHEEL SHORTAGE PROBLEM! | FerrariChat

FINALLY SOLVING THE 19" 575 MODULAR WHEEL SHORTAGE PROBLEM!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Exoticar Auto, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #1 Exoticar Auto, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    As many of you know, we have been specializing in selling Ferrari OEM wheels now since 2003. We have had the privilege of meeting and selling to allot of you on F-chat, ebay and various other outlets including our own website. Obviously we learn as we go regarding the new models, sizes, offsets, and fitments. We take pride in having the newest wheels for the latest cars at the best prices! We get just as excited when receiving a new set of wheels for a new model as we do when we sell a set of wheels to a happy customer.

With this being said, I must say that the absolute "Holy grail" of OEM wheels whether it be from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche or any other brand has always been the 19" 575 modular wheels made by BBS of Germany for Ferrari. A close 2nd would be the 18" modular wheel made by Speedline wheels of Italy issued on the 550 Barchetta. However the 575 19" wheel seems to be most desirable (I'm assuming) due to the larger diameter and the way they fill out the wheel well on the 550/575 models. However the 19" 575 modulars are now almost impossible to find. The 18" 360 Modena modular, which look almost identical to the 575 19" modular (but do not fit the 550/575 models), are plentiful and abundant. We assume this is because the 360 was produced in much larger #s. Only 2056 575M were produced compared to 16,365 360 Modena coupes and Spiders (at least that's what Wikipedia says).

Anyway, BLAH BLAH BLAH! We mention all this because we get at least 5-7 phone calls plus another 3-5 emails per month from Ferrari owners from around the world regarding availability of the 19" 575 modular wheels. They want them for their 550, 575 and even 456 (yes they fit and look incredible on the 456). Well a few months ago we got yet another typical call asking if we had a set of the now unobtainable 575 modulars. Our usual answer is "No sorry we do not, and we probably wont get them anytime soon". Most people will leave us their number and email in hopes of a future "lucky find". We usually point out to them that they might be able to source a set on eBay or some Ferrari classified site such as F-Chat if lucky, but they wont come cheep. We have seen them for sale as high as $25K. We have personally sold complete sets for up to $15K. I would estimate that in the past 15 years of business specializing in factory Ferrari wheels, we may have had 5 complete sets of the 575 modular wheels. They are truly the absolute rarest of rare when it comes to Ferrari or any other brand for that matter in my opinion.

Well after a few more disappointed callers, we thought to ourselves there has to be a solution to this problem. Either Speedline simply didn't make enough wheels for Ferrari or they didn't expect them to be so popular. We really don't know the answer. All we do know is they are NLA (no longer avail) from Ferrari. The used sets that do occasionally pop up have now been on the roads for allot of years and most have been through multiple refurbishments or repairs. Most sellers are asking at least $10k minimum and up for damaged or repaired sets. As I write this thread, there is a (1) single used refinished rear wheel on eBay for $4500. I think you see where we are going with this.......

Well after speaking with a couple people in the aftermarket wheel world, we decided to attempt to solve the problem. Let me start by saying we DO NOT sell aftermarket wheels ever, unless a customer absolutely twists our arm (we recently did a set of center lock HRE wheels on a buddies Carrera GT). We told him "your are nuts", he says "get it done". So we got it done for him. We only deal with one or two of the best aftermarket wheel companies. The two companies we deal with are considered by many to be the absolute best ( we wont drop names). Even better is that the products and materials are all made in the USA. NO CHINA JUNK! Well we decided along with a few other partners to design and work with one such wheel company to build a new modern day 575M 19" modular wheel.

In 2005 Ferrari introduced the HGTC package for the 575. This car came with a upgrades improving upon the 575M. One upgrade on the car was larger brakes. This called for slightly different front wheels to fit the larger carbon brakes. A new larger barreled 575 modular wheel (identical in looks) was used on the front wheels only. These wheels fit both the HGTC cars and the non HGTC cars. However the older "non HGTC" front wheels would not clear the larger brakes on a HGTC car. Meaning the HGTC wheels were the optimal wheel to have when creating our prototype's. So we made sure we purchased an original set from the HGTC model knowing they would work with both braking systems. We were lucky and sourced a set from a fellow F-chat friend/member. We paid well north of $10K on a set to be used strictly for measurement's and prototyping.

We obviously demanded that the wheels be the exact same factory bolt pattern (5x108), same diameter (19"), same widths (8.5" fronts/10.5" rears), same offsets ( ET43.6 mm fronts, ET32 mm rears). We also specified that the factory center caps could be used. The centers or faces of our wheels are stronger lightweight forged as compared to heavier cast aluminum on the originals.The wheel finishes also had to be the same. The center forged aluminum "star" shaped face would be painted silver and the outer lips would be a machined finish just as the originals were from Ferrari. The fasteners are made of lightweight and stronger titanium instead of stainless steel.

These wheels we are offering are a direct result of careful measurements and 3D/CAD design and imaging from a original set of OEM 19" Ferrari 575M HGTC wheels. However, these wheels are superior to the originals in weight, materials and production. I will have actual weights early next week.

The set of original OEM 575M modular wheels we sold less then one month ago as of 10/17 (HGTC set used for prototypes). They were original straight and true wheels most likely refurbished at some point sold for $13,500 US. We mention this only to give modern day realistic resale values.

Our wheels are manufactured 100% in the USA using the finest 6061, t6 aluminum forgings. Tailored specifically for all 456/550M/575M and engineered to exacting standards.

Any question , feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected] or call 727-430-3997.

OEM SPECS
    575M/575 Superamerica Five Spoke Modular 19”, 5 X 108 mm
    Front 8.5J X 19 ET 43.6 mm, Rear 10.5J X 19 ET 32 mm

Our specs
    575M/575 Superamerica Five Spoke Modular 19”, 5 X 108 mm
    Front 8.5J X 19 ET 43.6 mm, Rear 10.5J X 19 ET 32 mm

The first picture is the OEM wheel and the specifications we required.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- Great idea and those wheels look like the real thing. More tomortow.

4. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Very tempting. What tires would fit these?

5. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #5 Exoticar Auto, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    As far as brand, obviously the customers choice. Being that the wheels are the exact same specs as the originals, you would want to use the factory size tires as well and those are 255/35/19 fronts and 305/30/19 rears.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    How do you tell the real ones from the reproductions? I don't now enough about 19" modulars. I guess the public will need to get an education too as the real modulars add significant value to these cars. Now those waters get a bit more muddy?

7. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Awesome! Not in the market right now, but when/if I am, you are my first call.

8. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #8 Exoticar Auto, Oct 7, 2017
    As far as I know, there have never been any true replicas or reproductions made. It has not been done. These wheels will not say Ferrari on the back obviously. This is basically a set of high end aftermarket wheels with the looks of the factory 575 modular which are just not available. Somebody has mentioned giving them a name. Maybe you guys can help us with that. 575M2 ? I don't know.

9. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    IMO as a club racer the 550 needs front and rear spacers on stock 18" oem or modular wheels because the car understeers badly and needs more rubber underfoot. In fact I would like wider front wheels. I prefer 18" but 19" is ok. I think a real value would have been the reproduction modular built so no spacers would be needed and 10" wide front 11" wide rear. Then I would be a buyer.

motts likes this.
  10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    very nice....

only downside i can see is that these are better built, stronger and lighter than the factory versions.....

11. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #11 Exoticar Auto, Oct 7, 2017
    Also wanted to put this comparison picture up I took a while back when we had both the 18" and 19" modulars in stock. This is for reference only. Its a good illustration of the differences in the 2 wheels.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    I believe we can adjust on the fly and create any sizes or offsets you would want. After all, these are custom built wheels. I will check on it.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    This is a great deal for owners. I bought about the last set of new modulars a few years ago and used sets have been bringing $10k+ when you can find them. Damage a wheel and you are SOL. These are actually superior wheels to the OEM wheels with no worries about getting an unrepairable wheel in a used set.

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes please check out if custom sizing is available! I'm the happiest I've been all day.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- Nice thing about wheels like these is changing the barrel width is relatively easy since all the fancy pieces bolt on to the barrel. On the 19" wheels, no seals that can leak, either.

16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My 456M was ordered from the factory with the Barchetta wheels. They made the car look awesome, but they seemed somehow out of place on a car with a four-speed automatic to me, so I went back to stock. The 360 I just made a deal on has the modulars on it, and I won't change those. They look perfect on the car.

If I had a 575M, I'd definitely want a set of the 19" modulars on it. Those look fab, so good job.

17. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
  18. spaghetti

spaghetti Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    SC, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob Satterfield
    Chris....I sent you an email. I would like to order a set of 19" wheels. Thank you.

19. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    yes email responded to

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- Modulars were never an option on the 456 or 456M.

21. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Anything is an option if you have the money. Ferrari build their cars to spec and if your a "special customer" anything is possible.
    Just ask the Sultan of Brunei.

22. Thrasher

Thrasher Formula Junior

May 26, 2012
    London UK
    so glad you are doing this, and i trully hope it will stop some "brokers" squeezing the market...especially a dude here who keeps selling under private owner (claims to be a collector), when really he should be classified as a pro dealing/stocking from his garage

I was glad 2years ago to be in the position to point out a member here to a very cheap set from France for under 6kE from memory. He got a good set and made his car look lovely again.

I will point out French and UK owners i know towards you, as I'm sure some will be happy to know of a good source!

23. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the factory versions were $3750 a piece when available ? so these look like a good deal..

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Pk- BS. None of what the Sultan did was optional and the only wheels available as options on the 456 series were 17" in silver and, later, gray.