Ferrari Replica Alloy Bodies at RM Sotheby's Duemila Route Auction | FerrariChat

Ferrari Replica Alloy Bodies at RM Sotheby's Duemila Route Auction

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by d.brum, Nov 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. d.brum

d.brum Rookie

Apr 4, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    Full Name:
    David Brumsted
    I would be very interested to hear your comments and opinions of lots #654 (250 GT LWB California Spider) and #655 (250 GT SWB) at this enormous auction that takes place in Milan on November 25 -27. If one of the computer literate among you would like to post a direct link, that would be great.

2. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Projected price range seems to be low.

3. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
  4. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    They both appear to have chassis. No info if these are 250 or 330 rebodies. Or who body builder is.

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Years ago I started a thread concerning the availability of exact original chassis plans for repro building. At the time, I alluded to the fact that such items were "shrouded in mystery" and no clear source. And here we see 2 exact repro bodies and frames being auctioned by a bank through a well know auction house, yet nobody seems to know where these cars were made? In a Modena back room? Somewhere else in Europe? Very strange that such quality items still seem to have a mysterious, undefineable origin. And I STILL haven't located any source for EXACT dimension vintage chassis plans.

6. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    I would bet a dollar or a euro that the plans and chassis have come directly from gilco the original maker who I believe still exists.

7. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Guys,

please have a look at the rear suspension of the think, that looks like a LWB California.

Do i need to explain more?

The thing named SWB seems to have a more suiting Chassis.

Here on f-chat was a discussion about a guy, who "butchered" Ferraris. I think, that these two bodies are from his workshop.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    If a wooden box with dolly wheels counts as a chassis...

:)

There are no chasses included.

Matt

9. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Look closely at both. The LWB spyder has a chassis and even has suspension pieces.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You're right! (I'm not used to a mustard colored chassis.)

Those parts along with the pastiche body should be worth more than the estimate.

And I do wonder if either carries a serial number...

Matt

11. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I believe that the mustard color comes from a modern day metal coating similar to zinc chromate and is used alot in the aircraft industry to protect precision parts from corrosion. That makes me think that these repro bodies and chassis were not produced in somebody's back room garage. They look very professional.

12. fly275

fly275 Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    Midwest USA
    these lots should have gone across the block by now. Does anyone know what they sold for?

13. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    The Cal Spider "replica" went for 76K Euros hammer (not including 17% buyer's premium).