Ferrari need Bank to authorize ordering of 2nd key? | FerrariChat

Ferrari need Bank to authorize ordering of 2nd key?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by THonda, Sep 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    Hi,

I recently purchased a 2012 California and needed a second key & key card ordered as part of the deal. Long story short, the dealership is now telling me in order to order the 2nd key, they need a signed lien letter from the lien holder (on letterhead) authorizing me to order such key and code card for such VIN. I was also told this is the ONLY way per Ferrari to order another key.

It wouldn't be a big deal except when I called TD auto, they have never heard of this and so far I have not been able to get this letter out of them...

Have you guys experienced this?

Thanks

T

2. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I ordered new remotes and code for my 360 and the parts guy wanted "proof of ownership" and my driver's license, of which he made a copy. I emailed a scanned copy of the registration card so he could place the order. The registration showed me as the legal owner, so don't know what would have happened had there been a lienholder, but I suspect nothing. Whole purpose of this is to prevent some bozo from obtaining a key or remote with which to steal your car. Your case sounds like bureaucratic insanity on the dealers part. I'd call another dealer's Parts Manager and asked what's required.

3. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Algar Ferrari required a copy of my pink slip before they would make a key for my 550. But I own the car outright so no approval required from a lien holder. I'm pretty sure he ordered the key from Ferrari since it took a couple of weeks for the key to arrive.

Dave rocks likes this.
  4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's likely because you don't possess the title. Typically the title and your license is required and the addresses must match. They are doing this to prevent theft

5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Is your car perhaps leased? If a vehicle is leased than it is titled to the bank. If it is financed they just have a lien.

I am just curious. Obviously my answer may not help you

6. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I experienced the same thing from Ferrari NA when I got my spare key. I needed proof of ownership/registration plus letter from lien holder if i did not have possession of the title. I showed my purchase contract as proof of ownership (before receiving the plates and registration in the mail). FNA rejected the purchase contract and I had to wait for my plates/registration before resubmitting for a new key. FYI, key was ~$800 from dealership plus another $300 to program it.

7. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Ferrari has been doing this for many years. Proof of ownership, photo ID (must match name on registration or title).

8. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #8 johngtc, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017
    While I understand the sevurity angle, this amazes me - $1100 for a key!

I suppose I should expect this sort of thing from Ferrari, but this is a shamless rip off. Just off to the bank to put my spare keys in a deposit box!

daytona355 likes this.