Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 892 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Is this mostly being funded/developed by RB? I wouldn't think that Aston has the necessary depth or capital for this kind of project.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  4. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This car has been in their plan for several years long before the split with Ron was even contemplated.

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  6. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    From RT:

It was Tuesday 9:30 when I got the keys for the Performante in Boblingen and heard the sweet words “it’s yours for the entire day”. Not to so sweet was the weather - cold, rainy and up in Black Forest - foggy. But it just helped prove that the Perfromante is the most capable car I’ve ever driven no matter what.

Comfort and ergonomics

I know that people expect quirks from Lamborghini’s but the moment I got into the car I felt at home. The bucket seats are not the most comfortable but neither as terrible as some people have said. The upper part is too narrow for wider shoulders. I’d definitely go for the comfort seats. Everything else is a standard Huracan covered in alcantara. If feels like a military machine...and for a good reason. The driving position is superb. I especially like how close to the driver you can adjust the steering wheel on modern Lamborghini's. At 1.87m I fit perfectly fine but I can imagine a 1.90+ person feeling too close to the roof. I was told that NOT ordering the electric seats puts you 15mm lower so it is a must. My only ergonomics concern is the A-pillars which obstruct the visibility when you drive fast on tighter corners. The advanced sound system is great and can actually be enjoyed because the car is far more versatile than expected. Just put it in Strada and it is perfectly civilized and quiet (when you are gentile). The build quality of the interior is superb.

Chassis and steering

This is the most confidence-inspiring car I've ever driven. That was supposed to be the role of the Turbo but no more. It feels like you drive on rails, only you are laying the rails with the steering wheel in real time. I did some high speed Autobahn driving in the heavy rain. I've never felt so stable at 200+ km/h. From Boblingen I went to Black Forest towards Baden-Baden. It was raining hard, the temperature fell to 10C. The levels of traction and stability were unbelievable. I don't think that there's any other car in the world that can touch it especially in the wet. And there's no learning curve. You just jump in the car and it delivers immediately. If there's any understeer I couldn't find it. It feels absolutely neutral and centered. The steering is a bit heavy but precise enough. Maybe a bit artificially heavy at high speeds. It's not at the level of the 720S or the GT3 RS but still very good. The suspension was another surprise - less jarring than the GT3 RS but yet the wheel travel is short and the car stays absolutely flat. It is unbelievable that a 7m Ring car can be so civilized.

Where’s the catch then? If I have to point at one thing it would be that the car probably feels to planted. It lacks the playfulness and finesse of the 720S, the 488 or the GT3. There’s just a little bit of Audi feeling there. But it is superior to all those cars in so many other dimensions that I wouldn’t think too much about it.

Engine, gearbox and brakes

The brakes felt like they’ve been taken from a Porsche and that’s the biggest compliment I can give. Once again I was reminded how bad were the 720’s. The engine is such a masterpiece that I’d be happy to trade the power advantage of the 720S for that sound and response. I guess it’s not much different than the standard Huracan but anyways, it has to be pointed out more often that this is the best engine in this league. The gearbox is flawless and instant both in auto in manual. Overall the Performante impressed me far more than the 720S. I know that the weather didn’t do the McLaren a favor but this are just my feelings, not some objective, instrumental test. The Performante is the perfect combination of ultimate performance, drama and exotic look. I left with the feeling that I want one badly. Thankfully there are production slots for January.

7. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The new 991 GT2 RS is rumored to have set a record time of 6:47 in a full lap of the N'ring...

If so, this beats the Huracan Performante's time by a wide margin.

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's got to be the tires at this point, right?

9. Apolo1

Apolo1 Karting

Feb 10, 2015
  10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Plus that the track got considerably quicker after the refurbishment. At any rate, normal tracks are a better yardstick.

11. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    That's unbelievable.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    10 sec faster than the 918!

13. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    That time was supposedly done on trofeos, while the cup 2 time was 6:53

14. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    can deffo believe it, look at the hurrcan sv!

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Randy Pobst ran a 1:33.01 in the AMG GTR at Laguna Seca. He previously ran a 1:29.89 in the 918 and 1:30.71 in the P1. Just one data point but many were thinking the AMG GTR might run with the hyper cars after its Ring Time. Doesn't appear.

16. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
  17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I saw this. Not quite meeting Ferrari's claims but quickest I've seen.

18. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    seriously? When was it posted?

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Speciale was not that far behind!!

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I saw this video a few weeks ago someone posted it on fastest laps

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It has also posted a 9.7.

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Where's the link? To be fair I've never seen a P1 run at drag race event either. This is the best Laferrari time I know of in a non mag test that wasn't run on Ferraris home track.

23. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Gotcha.

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    R&T clocked it with a V-Box.