Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I think it's more in line with current selling prices.

2. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    #478 JayEff, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    What i'd really like to know is this. How does driving one of these cars compare to driving say a 550 or 575.. What's the real difference other than the ride being harder, in the sport mode vs the regular mode. Does this feel like a big car or once you are inside and going, or is it something you don't think about any more. If you had the choice between this and a 550, which would you buy? Most of these cars have an automatic, I have a tough time thinking of a standard automatic like this being sporty, but any comments on drivability of the automatics.?

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the 456mgt manual is a nice car to drive.....but it is decidedly less sporty, less agile, less fast, less nimble, than a 550. it is a nice comfortable, sporty, gt car.

i never tracked mine (had other more track oriented cars to choose from frankly), but i did put about 30k km on it as a daily, and as a continent crusher, driving it from geneva to monaco a few times for example. and to do that you can choose your path to mix highways, and mountain roads etc. the 456 is nose heavy, pushes into the corners quite a bit, does not feel as confidence inspiring on the brakes, does not set itself up in a corner as well as a 550.

when you switch it from comfort to sport, the suspension tightens up - that is the only perceptible difference. its an improvement, but its not as if it turns into a 550, let alone a 360/430.

i just got the automatic version of my car - for my mother - and it is even less of all things sporty, than the manual. that is just a fact.

the upside is that it is not a big car, doesnt ever feel like a big car, and in the category of gt's from the 90's, its a great car - nice engine noise, nice shape, good room, comfort, trunk space, ergonomics etc.

horses for courses......

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I agree with Ross' comments above completely.

"It is a nice comfortable, sporty, GT car" sums it up perfectly. While a manual would certainly feel more engaging and connected, IMO it would also diminish some of the "GT" aspects of the car.

I cannot fathom why anyone would want to track a 456, other than for novelty or educational purposes to see what it's like on the limits. It would not be an enjoyable experience to me - much like the Top Gear episode where they raced city buses.

Mine has a set Tubi's installed. I like the burble and hint of disguised power at idle, but that feeling lasts for three stoplights. After that, I wish it were quieter. Easy for me to say since I have a Spider when I want the raw sports car feel and sound.

On the way to the M GTA, I drove several 550s, a 575, and several Maserati GTs. I'd say the 550 and Maser were close comparisons, the 456 not so much. Again, I agree with Ross, the 456 did not feel as sporty, agile, fast, or nimble. But is also did not feel as big and heavy. The GTA is a dream to drive; smooth, effortless, and stacks of power. In the end, it was no contest.

5. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    #481 JayEff, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Well I did a search on cars for sale in the Continental US. I found 17 on the market. These range in price from 24,000 ( in Vermont) to 139,000 dollars ( in Cleveland of all places). I had 4 manual cars and a mix of M and non M configurations. Most cars were on the market between 55 and 75 k and most were at dealerships, and milage varied all over the map. I really have no idea how long they have been there, but I bet for some months. I know one car has been for sale over 2 years.
    I think there are actually more out there, but I think some private owners are loath to actually publicize that their car is for sale. I would bet some of these cars come up at estate sales for quite cheap prices.
    I also checked overseas and found dozens available, especially in Switzerland and the UK.. I think as a general rule, the European cars are driven harder, more regularly and show more wear.

I did see one car for sale at 230,000 Euro's.

6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there are many 456mgt's in switzerland because it has one of the highest ferrari ownership rates per capita in the world, and people use them as dailies like i did. but you cannot bring those to the usa yet. so forget about them.

if you are looking for a manual gearbox, and are prepared to pay the premium for it, then my first call would be to craig calder at 'fast cars' in LA. he says one of his clients has one for sale. craig is a first class guy and wont steer you wrong.

my personal thoughts on prices of the moment are good automatics are between 50 and 60k, (mileage may skew this), and manuals are from 90-130k, also depending on mileage. i also tend to gravitate towards cars that have at least seen some regular use. this model does not do well as a garage queen - everything starts to fall apart. they must be used, and the useage brings out all the faults that need to be sorted. so dont be afraid of a car with some miles on it.

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #484 tazandjan, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. nettwerkjohn

nettwerkjohn Karting

Mar 6, 2015
    Waikawa, Picton 7220
    Full Name:
    John Phillips
    Taz, have you got the colours available for 96?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #486 tazandjan, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    John- No, do not. Have what purports to be the 95 colors, but not sure I trust this one as much as the PPG factory chips, if at all. Somewhere in that timeframe, Ferrari was changing paint manufacturers or PPG bought them out. Have not researched that.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. nettwerkjohn

nettwerkjohn Karting

Mar 6, 2015
    Waikawa, Picton 7220
    Full Name:
    John Phillips
    Thanks taz

Mine is azzuro Hyperion metallic, just wondered if it's a standard colour...

J

12. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not quite ready to call anyone yet, but when I am, in the spring most likely, I'll call him. Frankly if a manual 456 is 100k, which seems on the high side to me, and a F1 575 is 110 k, i'm going for the 575. But we'll see, a lot can happen in 6 or 8 months. I'm definitely a GT kind of person. I don't think the dealers deserve the size of the mark-ups that they get.
    Thanks for the advice.

13. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Watching the market for 456s I am finding that there is a glut of LHD Autos on the market which should help prices

14. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I have to respectfully disagree with such a gap. No way it's worth double the price based on auto vs manual. Manual seems to always be a little higher but not by this much.

The fact that the full prnd automatics are also a rare breed within Ferrari's production add to the value and charm in my opinion.

I actually preferred an Automatic and would have paid equal if not more for it because it's what I wanted. I'm probably in the minority but still I'm sure I'm not alone.

15. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    You are not alone.

16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i didnt say i agreed with those valuations....thats just what they are. show me i am wrong....

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i had a chance to drive the 456 around after getting its complete service.

i am actually amazed, the automatic is a very nice car to drive.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Henry- Affirmative, unlike the 400 Ferrari series of automatics, the 456/456M Ricardo/GM 4 speed is well matched to the V12 torque characteristics.

19. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
  20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  21. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    nice one. it isnt actually selling for 48k, that is the current bid. dunno what the reserve is

22. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    looks like no reserve high bidder wins

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003