Ferrari 355F1 Berlinetta (Track Day) | FerrariChat

Ferrari 355F1 Berlinetta (Track Day)

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Rothbauer_Racing, Jun 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Still need to add the AiM Solo DL data overlay but, here is one of my sessions at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILJbDuFP9TA]Ferrari 355F1 Berlinetta @ COTA [Session 3] - YouTube[/ame]

Ciao,

SRR

2. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    #2 Extreme, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    That looked like a lot of fun.
    I just took my 355 for our first ever track day at the Miller Motorsports Park here in Utah and had a blast.
    These cars are meant for the track.

Those were some fast p-cars ahead of you.

3. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    #3 Rothbauer_Racing, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Ferrari 355F1 Berlinetta felt right at home doing what it does best, going FAST!

We had three 15 min. run sessions in the Advanced Yellow Run Group each day. Friday was practice for the race cars and in-between was our DE runs. I spend most of Friday trying to learn the track during wet conditions! When the weather did clear up on Saturday my brake system was fully tested to a new limit.

There were situations when things got really fast which felt like we were racing! That CoTA F1 track is just Amazing! It’s smooth and those corners are technical which take time to learn.

To be a part of the history in this exciting new venue is a bonus chapter to an exciting season to come.

Ciao,

Rothbauer Racing
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    CCR FORZA Challenge at COTA

Round 2 (Ferrari Track Day)

1999 Ferrari 355F1 Berlinetta is almost ready, new Pirelli Trofeo R tires, Sparco Evo II seats, Tubi Air Filters, Gulf 105 racing fuel. This time we will have 20 min. sessions with far less traffic.

My fastest lap last year on the 3.4 mile 20 turn track was only 2.49.21 and it happened only twice as traffic was just too thick to get a solid run and while combined with very short 15 minute run sessions it was even harder to get going faster. Just when you thought everyone was picking up the pace we would encounter a much slower car out on track in the sections where there were no passing zones?

My target is 2:35.00 and it's going to be a serious task but, lets see how close to that number I can get.

Ciao,

Stanislaus R.R.

5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Pretty ambitious to knock 14 seconds off and that was the problem I had last year with trying to go quickly - you have to be able to roll speed in 2-9 and 12-19 and I suspect those are no passing zones for the DE groups. For comparison 2:35 was a lap record in SRF and I doubt you can get a 355 on street tires to go that quickly; if you break 2:40 you will be doing something. Fun track and I wish I was racing there this year. If you do get to 2:35 congrats!

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree. 2:40 is a more realistic target, especially on street tires.

7. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    #7 Rothbauer_Racing, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    I agree 2:40 may be more of a target for as 14 seconds is a lot for a 3.4 mile track. I race Shell 93 (Pump gas) last time. Not sure if Racing fuel will make that much of a difference threw out the entire lap? Also 70 lbs of weight removed. Hope to apply more speed thru the turns.

We had passing zones in the straight sections only. Were not racing just driving fast.

Shoot high and get as close as possible... ;P) I have the Challenge Sway Bars & H&R Springs that make a huge difference vs. OEM and a mild track alignment.

Ciao,

Stanislaus R.R.

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    race gas might get you 0.1 seconds. might. :)

removing 70 pounds might get you a few tenths as well. springs/sway bars/alignment is where the big gain will be, maybe as much as a second or so.

for reference I was there Feb '12 in my 996 (C2, ~300 bhp) on street tires and did a 2:41.6. 996 GT3s on r-comps were doing 2:36-2:38s depending on driver, etc. so I think a 2:40 in a 355 on street tires is entirely doable. 2:35 will be a challenge.

9. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    What group were you with in Feb? I was there last year with PCA and will return again to Cota this May.

You ran a 2:41.6 that is a great lap time for a 996? Well you said it, "depending on driver". I do remember the GT3's just flying by coming out at T20 some drivers were much faster then others in the same style car.

The Forza CCR event will have 5 ~ 20 min. sessions over 2 days. So, lets see if all that practice helps...

Ciao,

Stanislaus R.R.

10. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Yes, it's a calculated guess to do 2:35 but, I felt we didn't really get up to speed being that the track was new and we had no instructors to show us the line. I did my best but, I would assume there is room for improvment may be not 14 seconds after all? I am just hoping to get some low consistant lap times while keeping my car on track and not in the railing, etc...

We had 2 SRF at our event last year but, there were instructors in a seperate groups.

For Now let's just see how close to 2:40 I can get, I still need to drive back to Houston after all this is done.

Ciao,

Stanislaus R.R.

11. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I did a 2:19 in my 150 bhp sports racer. Fun track!

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what does that thing weigh, 1500 pounds?

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Probably closer to 1100 lbs. With slicks and downforce, although if an S2 no wing but might have some ground effects. Very quick cars and with a power to weight ratio greater that a GT3. Not to be underestimated.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that light? SRF is 1600 or so, yes? I figured Peter's car was a bit lighter but not 500 pounds lighter!

15. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    SRF is minimum 1670 with driver. A Vintage S2 I cannot say for sure, but probably under 1300 with driver. Not sure how much tire they carry. But a lowly 150 hp is sandbagging in that it does not tell the whole story

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    just looked up the rules, 1100 pound minimum w/o driver (so yes probably 1300 pounds w/ driver...sorry Peter :eek:). aluminum monocoque, not tube frame. I learned something today :)

anyway, sorry for the thread hijack...

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I thought I sucked first time at CoTA 2:38.2 in a T2 car 3300lbs 63mm restricted C5 vette

18. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    It will be interesting to see what the Ferrari F355 Challenge cars will run on the 3.4 mile track. They have a minimum weight of 2920 lbs + 180 lbs for driver = 3100 lbs. There will be 6 competing but, all on Pirelli Slicks. Driver style might be a slight factor but, I think all are experienced racers in this upcoming event.

Ciao,

Stanislaus R.R.

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Race Monitor from this weekend looks to be a bit of a mess, but I see at least one 2:34 for a 355.

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    kverges did ten seconds quicker than I did in the Radical! Great video!

I saw some times for Saturday Race 1 from the CCR crowd. Mark McKenzie (who I consider the benchmark) at a high 2:19.1 with Cooper McNeil right behind, but I don't know what the track conditions were...

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what were ALMS GTC or GA GT times last year? IIRC GrandAm was around that.

22. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    2:19.1 was dry race Sat. I qualified 2:17.8, not driving that great. A CCR 430 should go 2:16.xx on stickers.

Cooper didn't have wing&splitter, but can run lighter, for that reason. My car should be a tick faster, at COTA. At Daytona, I think his spec is faster.

Sunday race was raining, and I spun from the lead, but I think it was just a matter of time, Cooper had me covered in the wet. He won Sunday I was 2nd.

I had my very illegal there 355C and did a 2:27 on old slicks.

Mark

23. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    #23 Rothbauer_Racing, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Congrats, Mark! Sunday race weather was a MESS! Cold, Windy, Raining, Etc... Watching the CCR race was quite the experience and those F430 were just amazing out on Track!

Which F355 Challenge was yours? I took lots of pics of all the F355 in the garages but, didn't want to bother any of the drivers as they all seem busy. Lots of different setups and suspensions, exhaust going on.

The F355 Challenge Racers were in the high 2:34.6x to 2:40.xx depending on driver and car setup. This is from the Saturday Race.

Mark, Your 7 seconds faster then the fastest F355 Challenge driver! Well you have the experience that's for Sure! Great to see you in action.

I was only able to turn out a 2:46 for Saturday in my 355F1 Street Car.

Ciao,

SRR

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    solid result in what I understand were tough conditions.

glad you enjoyed it :)

25. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    ^^This^^