Fernando Alonso the greatest driver of this Century | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fernando Alonso the greatest driver of this Century

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Sep 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Jean Alesi for example, and i'm talking a bout "recent drivers" i obviously don't want to go bak to the likes of Gilles, Ronnie, etc, etc...who were vastly superior to alonso

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    So Massa thinks that Nando is/was better than Schumi? hmmm ok.....

Autosport hack thinks Nando is the GOTC? hmmm ok......

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Although i respect imensly Roebuck, he tends to be a bit biased (as we all do) about certain drivers, and he over protects those driving for british teams (mansell was the exception) I remenber he defended Mclaren against Ferrari in Spygate, and i don't think he was a big Shumacher fan..in this case i admit it could be because he desliked certain atitudes, the same way he desliked them in Ayrton, in fact he considers Prost to be better than Senna (as oposed to D. Jenkins who was almost his "mentor").

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    As i said in my previous post, just talking about relativly recent drivers, i consider Jean alesi to be a lot more talented tahn alonso, and when you come to think he only got one win!!!

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I think that Jean had more pure talent than Fernando, but Alonso is a more complete package. He seems to keep his head when Jean could get lost in the red mist. But had Alesi gone to Williams . . .

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Nigel Roebuck is an "Autosport hack"? He is anything but a hack journalist.

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ok,maybe i was a tad unkind,even so i do not have to agree with all his opinions.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    And the titles Damon Hill lost would be his....and probably more

375+ likes this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Absolutely

10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #60 freshmeat, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Hamilton & Trulli were faster? Maybe on occasion...that is far from what I could describe as "eclipsed".

e.g 8-9 out of 10 times = eclipsed

Anyone do that to Alonso? I bring this up because you said he's mediocre and has already gotten more than he deserves from F1, and I'm trying to understand how that fits relative to all the other drivers.

If you follow who he has teamed with and see how they have faired against other drivers as they've moved to other teams you can get quite a good idea of where he objectively stands.

He's objectively sits in or near the top of the talent pool rather than the middle or bottom.

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I wouldn't say eclipsed but everyone knows Briatore had to "sabotage" Trulli when Alonso started to get beaten regularly by the Italian, wich is nothing to be ashamed since Jarno was blindingly fast, although inconsistent at times.

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Jarno Trulli was a strange case:

In qualifying he was incredibly fast - More often than not one of the fastest on track that weekend.

In races however, his speed seemed to just disappear, and he never did as well as you would have thought he would.

A very likeable guy, but a bloody frustrating driver due to his inconsistency from qualifying to the race

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Agree, he was very inconsistent...but when he was on it, he was absolutly a top notch driver...

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Watch this and then tell me what you think of Jarno, Monaco 2004..first Pole , first Win was there for this one.Not a day to forget.

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I remenber it well, i also remenber Alonso crashed against ralf while trying to keep up with Jarno, wich obviously he couldn't...after this, Flavio decided that hsi new Golden Boy was being tarnished and decided to blow up Trulli.....in the second half of the season i think he never qualifyed well and never scored another point, all of the suden, Alonso was miles ahead of him...what a farse....

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree with you. Alonso could have been a Super Great, but everywhere he's been he's left in turmoil... To me there is no other example than when at McLaren he on purpose stayed in the pit box to screw Hamilton's chances of winning... that was outright dirty pool, for everyone to see. he left Renault under a cloud to go McLaren... left them in the crap, then to Ferrari... started of well, then crap, and now back to McLaren... he's to damaging to the team... but a gifted driver - no question. His performance at Indy this year show how good he is.

17. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Hang on, wasn't Alonso reacting to a dirty move by Lewis ? Must admit it's a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure Lewis instigated this. Happy to be corrected but that's what I always thought at the time.

Best,
    Sammy

18. ionnis

ionnis Rookie

Jul 4, 2015
    HAHAHAHAHA alonso was "only" involved in the biggest cheating scandals of all time.....

19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Zsolt Baumgartner. The greatest of all Hungarians that isn't named Zsa Zsa.

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I wasn't aware great people consistently complained about everything, and also consistently ran away from problems.