Fernando Alonso the greatest driver of this Century | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fernando Alonso the greatest driver of this Century

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Sep 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Rob, I'm the original poster; I was replying to the post suggesting that Lewis was the greatest driver of all time (GOAT). How we got off Feernando, whom I continue to agree is the best driver of this century.

Replying to the odd comment about manual shifting having a bearing on the question of best driver, what odd nonsense. For ALL the drivers drive with the same transmission types in a given season or era.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  2. Blackmamba

Blackmamba Karting

Jun 17, 2016
    the best this century is Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton no question! All time Jimmy!

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    WHAH WHAH...... WRONG on both counts

Schumacher, Senna, nuvolari

4. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Yep; one man's hero can be another man's zero.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What does a manual transmission have to do with getting around corners better than anyone else he raced against? Fangio was the best at car control of his generation, perhaps ever.

Caracciola likes this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Let's make the discussion easy and say "best driver of all times." Lots of factors, too many to do side by side comparisons...except one. The number of driver's championships. You might not like the guy who won...but that is the guy who won. Fangio will always be close anyone else you chose. I have my own personal reservations about Senna and there are a lot of other three time champs and the score card doesn't put any of them up there with Prost with four...except Vettle. I think Alonzo is "one of the best drivers" on the grid today. But we can't keep blaming the cars he has chosen to race. Time is every champions enemy. It may have past Alonzo by...as it even did to Michael Schumacher. I was a big fan of Michael and feel he worked hard for and fairly won each and all of his seven world drivers championships.

NEP and daytona355 like this.
  7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You are all wrong.

Pastor Maldonado is the greatest of the last 20 years based upon entertainment value alone.

Robb likes this.
  8. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Not only that; Fangio started in F1 when he was already 38 years old. By the time he stopped at 47, he was competing against drivers half his age !!
    That's what I find most remarkable about him.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Maybe we should consider "being the greatest driver" as a different question than "being the greatest champion".
    The greatest champion could be the one having won more championships - which may involve different qualities than just driving ability; for instance the willingness of going to the right team at the right time. In the end one could win more championships by making decisions more focussed on this goal (of course it is still unlikely a bad driver will win any championship, but the drivers winning the most are not necessarily the best drivers in my view).
    In motorbiking Valentino Rossi is an absolute legend and still a very impressive rider (specially if one considers his age) but I still believe Casey Stoner was a better rider.

Caracciola likes this.
  10. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Right. It should also be said that some years, winning the championship seems to require less effort, perhaps? Mike Hawthorn (in 58) and Keke Rosberg won only one GP the year they got their title, for example. That would be impossible now.

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    He is one of the greatest whingers..for sure.

12. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    No doubt Alonso is a great - but with 5 WDC's this century and another 2 prior - Schuey game set and match.

Best,
    Sammy

NEP and daytona355 like this.
  13. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    YES Phil, he's my #1

Plus how ballsy do you have to be to turn up to the German GP in a car that should NEVER have got anywhere near the front let alone WIN , and THEN pull out the Italian anthem for the announcer to play :p :p

Caracciola likes this.
  14. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Go read up. Traction control was banned for 94. After many drivers including Senna insisted they thought the Benetton had it they were investigated. The ECU was found still to have the traction control software and sensors needed to run it, but Benetton changed their story and insisted 'it's on the car, but we haven't used it' People could here it in action coming off corners, but we are supposed to believe they weren't using it. As you say. Utter tosh, it's generally accepted they were using it and were cheating.

15. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good and funny way to put it. You're right too. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    lol

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I think I would almost agree with him but MSC was at the peak of his talents in the early 2000s. (2000-2004).

Alonso is VERY close though. Roebuck's is certainly not an outlandish opinion.

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Show me the proof of cheating, and the penalty they must have been forced to pay? Not got that information? Cos it doesn't exist. Mercedes have had oil burning for three years, no one went back and banned their cars, and no one has asked for results to be reversed, so there's no proof. Same thing

19. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    "this century?" Why not "who has been the best driver during the era when everyone takes Eau Rouge flat out?"

20. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I wish eau rouge was still the massive corner it used to be. They’ve softened it to be so straight now in comparison.

21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Hey chaps, hope all is well. Haven't been on here in awhile; new layout continues to take awhile to get used to...

Alonso needs another wdc to his name; the stats are just not a fair representation of his talent. He has bested the best and that deserves acknowledgement, let's be real, even the haters should be able to see that.

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I have seen much better drivers winnin a lot less, so Alonso deserves nothing at all, he already got more than he deserved out of f.1...

23. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Right Furoni, his rivals & teammates must suck even worse then, lol. I can't think of a teammate that could eclipse crappy Alonso. Can you?

Some objectivity is good for all of us so we don't sound like complete idiots...

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Pedro I disagree. Which better drivers won a lot less?

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I don't see any conection between what i said and what you just wrote....but sinceyou mentioned it, i wouldn't sai eclipse, but jarno Trulli was faster than him, and so was hamilton.