Fernando Alonso the greatest driver of this Century | FerrariChat

Fernando Alonso the greatest driver of this Century

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Sep 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    375+ likes this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    tifoso2728 likes this.
  3. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Michael will never be eclipsed as the G.O.A.T.

Michael - 7 WDC
    Fernando - 2 WDC

4. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Utter rubbish - that would be Juan Manuel Fangio. He raced for four different teams - Alfa Romeo, Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari and Maserati - started a total of 51 Formula 1 races, had 29 poles, 35 podiums, 23 fastest laps and 24 wins, a percentage never remotely approached, in an era when race cars were far more fragile than today and failed mechanically with great frequency. And drivers died. And he didn't begin racing in F1 until he was forty years old and won his last WDC when he was forty-seven.

As much as I was and am a Michael fan, don't even talk to me about anyone else.

5. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Unpopular opinion around here I'm sure, but Schumacher will never even get into my top ten. I feel massively for the tragedy that has befallen him and his family. I have nothing but for respect for him as a humanitarian with the money he gave away after things like the Tsunami etc. But in the cockpit he was just too dangerous and cheated too many times. He had to cheat his way to his first WDC by running Hill off the road and he was driving what is generally accepted illegal car. Too many cases of driving people off the road, dangerous moves, deliberate mistakes etc. If he hadn't pulled that stuff and 'only' got 4 or 5 WDC's I'd rate him, but there's just too much baggage for me.

Let's talk Prost, Alonso, Piquet Sr., Mansel, Hamilton, Alonso and (possibly) Vettel for best over the last 30 years (no order implied, just the order they popped into my brain)

Caracciola likes this.
  6. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The title of this thread mentions "this century". Some people here have wandered back in time a bit.

NeuroBeaker and 375+ like this.
  7. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Fair point, but the drivers I listed all raced against Schumacher going back to 91.
    Knock off Prost, Mansel, Piquet and add Kakkinen then.

8. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

I didn't like Schumacher either, for the reasons you give.

A man of great talent, but playing dirty.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Fangio #1 by a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot.

My gosh the guy had balls the size of bolders to do what he did at the time he did it.

Two other honorable mentions

Jimmy Clark
    Jackie Stewart

But they are not alone. Alonso is a great driver for this time but for the last 100 years? Gimme a break (or brake!)

crinoid likes this.
  10. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Schumacher, number one, every time, forza ferrari. End of discussion

Generally accepted illegal car?, who generally accepts this? Utter tosh

Run hill off the road?, maybe once, just as hill pointed his car at schumi and crossed the grass apex just to punt Schumacher offf, at best they both had a tough battle, nothing dirtier for Mike there.

Winning races with a duff car - Michael and Fernando, end of. Elton?, anything less than a dominant car and he is toast.

NEP likes this.
  11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Again i think people are a bit confused by wich century we are...

tifoso2728 likes this.
  12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I do actualy, Nigel is the person i most respect when it come to f.1 knowledge, to me he is nº1, nº2, nº3 ..maybe in nº 10 someone else will show up. I know he is a great admirer of Alonso and i can see why, because ever since Gilles, and Alesi, Fernando is probably the best driver in a ****ty car, he's currently and had been by far the more capable driver to extract the maximum of a bad car....although i think that in a top car, there are faster drivers than him. I honestly believe that if yoo gave a perfect car to Kimi and Fernando, Kimi would trash him, 10 years ago he would do it by a significant margin, today not so much. I'm a long time admirer of mr Roebuck, maybe because he was Gilles closet journalist, and i love hearing his stories about him. I once told Nigel i belived Alesi was every bita s good as the other greats of his time, like Shumacher and Hakkinen, and in his response, after praising Jean and explaining he agreed with me, he told me this "not only i agree with you but, more importantly, so does Gerhard Berger and Sir Frank williams!
    My "thing" with Alonso was never his ability to drive, rather his big mouth, his cheating, his lies, plots, etc, etc..that's what i can't stand about him, he was acancer to ferrari, but of course, i suspect Nigel love for Ferrari is not quite the same as mine, so these "things" will be a fewer importance to him.

daytona355, Ferrari 308 GTB and 375+ like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That is a righteous post. I too respect Nigel enormously, and revere the talents of Gilles and Alesi--two of the giants in my book--and I hold Alonso right up there with them. I greatly appreciate your honesty and your forthright response. Bravo Pedro.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    William (Aka Victor Meldrew) has been bit quiet recently?

daytona355 likes this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Currently banned. It's all the rage these days on the F1 forum.

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ohh ok,sorry, i missed that.

17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Look out, or when he comes back he'll put your name, address, and telephone number on the forum, and then google earth you and try to disparage you and generally undermine you. He's temporarily gone after doing exactly that to me, and refusing to apologise for overstepping the mark. Shame really, but it was totally unjustified

crinoid and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  18. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

This century is only 17 years old. It's a bit premature to crown the best driver at this point!

19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Yet that's exactly what the thread states. So why not stay on topic instead of wandering?

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    By logic you use in other threads::

Fangio used a manual transmission and thereby has to be slower.
    Michael got to use the F1 transmissions and won more.

Now, if you are willing to reverse your stance on manual transmissions, I might agree with you.

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Pity that he said that Ferrari was horrible and that he could go wherever he wanted because he´s the better driver of the Universe. So he went to McLaren-Honda. What idiot changes team at the last minute, without any margin for negotiation, jumping to a car of unknown quality? I think that this guy needs a new manager.

Both he and Ferrari lost in the transaction, Alonso would be doing very well with this years´car.

22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    These questions are always difficult and mostly opinion based speculation rather than fact. It's difficult to separate talent, personality, and success. This plus the fact that the equipment is so different just makes this a fun topic.

Fangio
    Senna
    Schumacher

tuttebenne likes this.
  23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Roebuck claims Alonso is the greatest Formula one driver of: "this Century" (2000~2017 so far), not of: "the last 100 years", and I'm pretty sure Fangio had retired long before 2000!

(BTW, Tazio Nuvolari makes Fangio look like a big girls blouse! ;) )

With 5 WDC's and 56 race wins since 2000, compared to Alonso's 2 WDC's and 32 race wins, like him or not, Schumacher has to be considered a greater driver this Century than Alonso.

(I seem to recall that Roebuck has always been quite anti-Schumacher, especially during his Ferrari days, so he would have been ruled out as being the greatest of this Century, and the fact that Alonso was the last driver to both challenge, and beat Schumacher in the WDC, more than likely adds to his belief that Alonso is the better of those two).

Vettel's 4 WDC's probably came too easily for Roebuck's liking, as have Hamilton's 3 WDC's (so far).

Alonso will alwayss be remembered as one of the F1 greats, but Schumacher will be remembered as being an F1 legend!

NEP, moretti and daytona355 like this.
  24. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    375+ likes this.
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed