(Feeler Thread) Garage Rental Market in NorVA | FerrariChat

(Feeler Thread) Garage Rental Market in NorVA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by XS29L9B, Sep 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    Just wondering on the level of interest for renting one (or all 3) bays of a detached suburban garage. I know, location is important, and I am not going to post it here, but suffice to say it's within 12 min. of I 66, 15 min to 495, and under 10 min to I 95/395.

I am looking at renting our home, which has a garage on the house - so the detached garage, which is separate, might be available.

If I rent the garage separately, I'd put a separate power meter to the structure, more than likely. It presently draws from the house on a feed from the main box.

It's a 3 car detached. Presently has 3 lifts (all are 4 post) which effectively doubles the space for cars. Quiet area, and convenient.

Anyone with experience or thoughts on the subject of renting like this, please feel free to let me know what you think. Thank you in advance.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm sure you will have a lot of interest once you advertise it. Also, boat storage season will be arriving soon. Would be best to try to rent it out to a single individual such as a collector to avoid conflicts between tenants. You will find there are more people with 3 to 6 cars than you would imagine. Given the experience with Hurricane Harvey lately, it would also be a marketing plus if the garage were located on relatively high ground.

3. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    Thanks - Garage is about as high of a point as once can be in this county. It's dry.

Yes, would rather one person w/ 3-6 vehicles rent the whole thing. I don't have time for 3-6 tenants, really. Can't store boats. Only cars, and with 10 foot ceilings, a sports car and maybe a sedan, at best, in the stack.

I have seen $100-$150/per space in the middle of nowhere. If someone had 5 or 6 vehicles, this would be perfect. Drive-in, drive out with the car of the day, exchange, repeat... Wonder on actual interest though... Anyone ever look for space like this?

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Wish you were in central nj

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5. nova996

nova996 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    I have 3 cars I'd put in there, depending on where it is. When you decide if you're really doing this will you post it here?

6. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    Thank you - and yes, if I decide to move, I'll probably rent the garage separately. And if that's the case, I'd post here for sure.

I might take the three lifts with, in which case it would be a 3 car garage. Or with 3 four-post lifts, it's a 6 car garage now.

Appreciate the interest.

7. underpressure02

underpressure02 Karting

Sep 21, 2013
    I was in a similar situation the other year but I didn't have a house on the property. I purchased a large 6000 sq foot garage off the beaten path but close to major roadways Turnpike, 422, RT 100) in PA because I ran out of space in my garages. The garage is climate controlled, has epoxied floors, commercial doors and openers. I installed a security/firm alarm system, IP cameras and some other items. Once I figured out how much room I needed I figured I would post and ad on CL to see if I could rent out some spots. I have the building heavily insured and had my lawyer draw up a lease.

What I found was the following:
    • CL was not the best place to advertise this type of building. While I had a bunch of calls/emails/texts, most were tire kickers or just wanted to try and find the location of the building and come see what was inside. I screened all the people over the phone before I would give them the address. Even then some people slipped through and were just time wasters.
    • I found it better to talk to people and hand out fliers at car shows/meets.
    • Most people in my area did not want long term storage but just winter storage, which is great but doesn't keep a steady flow of cash so you have to try and fill those summer months.
    • Some people were concerned about their car being in a building with other peoples cars and the safety of them. I tried to alleviate this concern with giving each renter a user account to the cameras so they can check on their car at any point in time.
    • Per the lease I do not allow anyone to work on their cars in the garage. They can wipe them down, spray wax them and keep them on a battery maintainer. But any type of maintenance is not allowed. Make sure you check with your insurance company on what they will cover. I would think the lifts might be of concern to them.
    I am sure there are more items I am forgetting, but it just takes time to find the right people. I highly recommend getting a security system and camera's in case anything were to happen to the renter cars.

8. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    Great points to consider. Thank you for your insight and post.

9. tiger 6

tiger 6 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C Darrah
    Have a 3000 sq. ft. Bay in Goochland, Va, close to I-64 with space to rent. Heated, toilet, secy. monitored, finished flooring, 20 ft. door, compressor, office etc. Perfect for winter storage of cars, boat, campers etc. PM me if interested.

10. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    Thank you to all who'e taken time to read and respond to this thread, or send notes of inquiry via PMs.

For now, we've decided to stay in our home. Last night at dinner with friends downstate, we contemplated moving in that direction, but would probably build or remodel, either which takes time. The other factor is having one kid still at home, which it's a debate in itself to pull them from school and sports, uprooting, and moving elsewhere. So not out of the question, we're just going to look at all sides over the next 6 months. Thank you again for looking.