Factory Options - 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Factory Options - 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by jaa1359, Dec 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nandofacchini

nandofacchini Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    Interestingly, i was just checking my gto parts manual and there is a roll bar described there ?!?

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It may be in the parts manual, but at point of production it was not an "option" in the standard sense (AC, power-windows, red fabric seat inserts etc).

If the owner wanted to use the car in competition - as in the case of 58337 - the factory would sublet such work to Michelotto.

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Never heard of it, but anything is possible.

That said, the assignation "LM" is loosely used.

4. F40 LeMans

F40 LeMans Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2009
    #29 F40 LeMans, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    I owned many hoods. The "Lexan windows LeMans road car" was provided with lighter hoods. They are thinner thickness and built more rudimentary. This is a reason why some F40s provided with all these details, lexan windows with lighter doors, lighter hoods, uncatted, are lighter.

5. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    Spot on! Thank you! How about the radio option on the 288 GTO?! Mine has speakers on the doors but the radio box in the center console is empty.

6. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014

See Joe's comment above (#24). The cars came with speakers, but no radio. Radios, if any, were installed by the dealer or by the owner, not the factory. Would love to see photos of your car.

7. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    front bonnet

8. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    30 years ago italian magazine called it "hifi" or "autoradio"...
    about roll bar, I'm quite sure it was an optional... if none buy it, is another thing ;) consider how 996 GT2 and Carrera GT had the A/C as "free optionals" :D
    about F50 , first of all, I was talking about paint claimed at the beginning. I don't remeber as well about F50, but I'm pretty sure about the enzo: in spring 2002, Ferrari claimed only red, yellow and black (...as like as 349 units...)
    about F40, you're right about suspensions: here in Italy were called "active suspensions" but they're just for lifting all 4 corners simultaneously and a different height from the ground @ low speed.
    but about lexan or glasses, maybe cause you're from USA and I'm from Europe, we're talking about two different types of F40.
    contrary to F50, Enzo, and Ferrari modern, the F40 was designed for Europe. in the US, as you certainly know, it came after, and with many modifications.
    It measns the original F40 is the European one, with no catalyst, and in the beginning was with Pexiglass and nude doors.
    about ultralight front bonnet, F40LeMans's already answered. he know it because he has the f40 wih those specs ;)

9. nandofacchini

nandofacchini Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    Hi Greg. I believe because in the 80's the aftermarket sound systems were a hot trend and there were tons of options available. I remember because I was a teenager and people liked bragging when they had a Pioneer in their car. That's why lots of cars came just "prepared" to receive a sound system. I actually think Ferrari started to have sound systems as option only later on in the 90's. I believe all 308s, Mondials, 400s and BBs I've seen had aftermarket sound systems or no sound system at all.

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Disagree. Radio was installed at factory.

Marcel Massini

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    288 GTO: There was NO rollbar as option. Any rollbar was fitted later, aftermarket, and not by the factory.

Marcel Massini

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Marcel.

Let's not disagree simply to be disagreeable :)

We've all seen enough original GTOs to know that 99% of all GTOs were supplied without the radio.

Even today 30 years later, many GTOs still exist with nothing but a blank plate.

Did the factory ever put a radio in for a client upon request? Of course they did! They would do anything upon request...

But generally-speaking, these cars were supplied sans radio.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #38 joe sackey, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is one of many many GTOs I have personally encountered in present times that still has nothing but a radio blank-plate in place.

The fact that the few cars I have encountered that do have radios are fitted with a broad range of assorted units only serves to underscore the fact that radios were a post-production dealer or privateer application.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    ok, it means I remeber as well :)

clarification: I remember about Ferrar's options list, the GTO had A/C, power windows and also Hi-Fi and rollbar.
    Now, I do not know if they were "real optionals", installed during the construction of your unit, or post-production, such as, for ex., the first JCW kits for the Mini Cooper S, which was noly after market ...

15. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    #40 Greg23, Jan 2, 2017
  16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That proves your car did not have a radio fitted at the factory, but it doesn't prove the option never existed!

Put it this way: If Ferrari had offered "Barbie pink" as a colour option for the 288 GTO, but no customer ever ordered it, the fact that no 288 GTO was ever painted "Barbie pink" wouldn't prove the option never existed.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Fair enough.

But the fact remains, "generally-speaking, these cars were supplied sans radio".

18. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    hahaahhhhahahah! 288 GTO, the car of my Life!

19. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    This is with I'm trying to explain here...
    another ex. :the old 90's MB E200 diesel N/A, it was avaible as classic, sport, elegance and avantgarde...
    E 200 diesel Sport sold: NONE! avaible, but never sold...

20. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    #46 supermafy, Jan 3, 2017
  21. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    Now I've a question about GTO and optionals: what about safe belts??
    some units have the red racing ones...

22. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    So no radio, would it look weird if I added one now?!

23. nandofacchini

nandofacchini Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    That's a good question.... I wouldn't add, but, if I did, I would look for a period one, from the 80's, so it doesn't look out of place...

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #50 joe sackey, Jan 5, 2017
    I think if you took the time to source something from the production period circa 1984/85 it would look just fine.