F60 America | Page 9 | FerrariChat

F60 America

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Randy, Sep 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  2. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
    This is my next one. hoping it happens.

3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Who else was disappointed Luca was a no show. Very telling.

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Yeah, evidently he got booted off the podium as he quit so Sergio stepped in himself... Now it is Luca who??

SV

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I can't wait for his book.

6. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    #206 mikelfrance, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I understand where Ferrari got the inspiration for this car's front. It's a direct relationship to what it thinks about people who would want to pay 2.5 million for it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Why would he want to? Fiat tossed him out. There's nothing to say.

8. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    #208 M-individual, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They've done this before on the 16M from Valentino Rossi. I actually like it better on the 16M simply because it uses two main and very different colors. Too many colors and shapes in the F60A but that's just my opinion. Looks overdone. TRS still is my favorite.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Interesting! I have not seen this before. Thank you for sharing, M-Individual. Valentino's 16M looks great. Were you able to attend the gala?

10. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I am surprised they didn't add the Speciale fin to it....

11. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    The only reason I know with certainty is that they want it and that they value it more than having the $2.5MM in the bank, or invested in something, or used to buy something else. That's all we can know for sure.

As to why they want it, who knows? I guess the same reason someone wants any work of art. Car guys tend to think of performance. But you can get similar performance out of a Porsche or a McLaren. McLarens are high tech, highly engineered, cool looking -- but does anyone for a moment think they will ever be beautiful and passionate in the heartbreaking way a Ferrari can be? No way. I think the extra thing that Ferrari adds is art. I think its the same reason you would spend a million or two (or whatever they get) for a Singer 911. Or hundreds of thousands for a timepiece by, say, Halter or Voutilainen. Because you know that somewhere there is some obsessive crazy person making that thing for no good reason other than its cool and beautiful. The insanity of the object is part of its appeal, and the act of buying it allows the buyer a bit of self-expression.

Or maybe not! :)

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I completely agree with you. As to LDM not going- I think events developed after the invitation went out....

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    If you're not buying it, why does anyone care what it costs? To the people who bought it, obviously it was worth it. People worry too much about other people's checkbooks.

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While I fully agree with that last bit I think that its relevant to Ferrari's view of the market and their place in it.

15. mgent

mgent Karting

May 17, 2007
    I'm not sure it says much about the F view of the market or their place, while doing this they also make and sell thousands of Cali's to a lower price market then any of their other cars...

'Value' to collectors is very different than it is to non-collectors... There are specific things many collectors look for and enjoy, and they look at value in exclusivity (who it is offered to), rarity (how many were produced), future gains (financial and access), portfolio (how does it fit in their collection), etc... This is true for art, watches, cars, etc... At one point my watch collection was worth a good bit more than my cars, but that wasn't a concern as there were specific pieces I wanted and bought when I could...

Taking a guess at who is buying the 10 cars, assuming all North America based, I think you could probably look at the cars in the parade and come up with a good list of the names, adding in a few others... These buyers have car collections likely in excess of $50M? maybe even higher? The $2M price tag isn't a concern to have 1 of 10, probably not even thought about twice...

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    the date for him to resign was right after the California rally. Then he does not show.

Was this an emotional decision?

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    What book?? Sounds interesting. Any info?

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    No.
    Just speculating. Everyone seems to write one these days.

19. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    could be risky to arrange a parade of those cars, might find out there are more than 10 if recent "limited runs" are anything to go by ..:)

20. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    You are welcome. Wasn't at the gala as I'm not located in the US but in Europe.

:)

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My guess is yes. I think his last day at Ferrari SpA was before this though.

22. mgent

mgent Karting

May 17, 2007
    Solid point. Even if it is 1 of 20 though, it still holds true.... Now if they make 200 of them? That's a different story, but I imagine they don't want to piss off (and get sued by) their largest 10 collectors either...

23. Maggio23

Maggio23 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2013
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ALbPWtoXwE]HUBLOT BIG BANG FERRARI USA 60TH ANNIVERSARY - YouTube[/ame]

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
  25. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    On the other hand the watch looks fantastic in comparison with the car!