F430 Tail Light Fix Kit video | FerrariChat

F430 Tail Light Fix Kit video

Discussion in '360/430' started by Normal Guy Supercar, Oct 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    #1 Normal Guy Supercar, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
    My friend Rex designed a possible solution to the F430 tail light stud problem. It's essentially a support piece that is epoxied on to the studs and frame of the light reinforcing the studs. Also the kit includes some rubber vibration absorbers which will hopefully help even more.

He's making these by hand, so it may take some time to get them to you if you want one, but you can check out installing them on my car in the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mZr0Q45rNw

2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Nice, but I have a question. That is, how are you supposed to get to the one screw that holds the bulb mount to change the bulb? It seems the reinforcement that you permanently glue in would prevent getting to the one screw. The other screw remains unobstructed.

3. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    It's still accessible with a swivel, but not easily. I believe that is one of the changes Rex is putting in on the "final" product. I can ask him to verify. The other change I know that's happening is the piece will be either notched or somehow made smaller where the wiring harness plugs in to the light. But that's a great question. :)

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    very helpful thanks!

5. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Thanks. I look forward to seeing the final product. I'm not one for fixing one issue only to make something like changing a bulb more difficult. ;)

PS - love the videos!

6. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    For sure! As soon as I get my hands on a final version, I'll be sure to post pictures, possibly even do another video or something.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    This solution addresses the 2 studs, but he is back to putting a rubber ring and glue on the single post which is ignoring a problem.
    I fixed all 4 of mine by cutting the single post plastic back and drilling 5mm and tapping M6, then fitting a stainless stud bar ( loctited in place). Use a couple of nuts and it stops all the vibration. These 2 together might make a good match. No problems in 2 years and 7000 miles

8. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Ah yes, that might be the ticket!

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I put some pics of the fix on here months ago

10. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    NIce video. Your motor was dancing the Lambada back there.

Dude you have got to find an electric ratchet (I've got an old Skil rechargable ratchet I have had for at least six years). It saves time and my knuckles.

Keep up the good work!

11. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Dancing the lambada? LOL! Yeah, I need to get a few electric tools... I hate using the air tools as the compressor is just too damn loud and a pain to drag around hoses. Thus I rarely use it... But I could see using some electric stuff...

12. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yep, on the demo set I had, I notched out the back of the mold using a small saw so that the connector went in easy and straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

13. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Where? I, for one, would like to see this.

As a side (but similar) note, I checked all four of mine recently, and so far, all mounting points look good. However, when I pulled out the two outer lights, the bulb assembly stayed in the car. Turned out the plastic stand-offs that held the threaded inserts were broken and even shattered. So the two screws that held the bulb assembly to the lenses weren't doing anything. The solution for that was to drill out the remaining stumps and then re-press the threaded metal inserts back down with some Loctite super glue just for good measure. It has worked on all four mounts for both outer lights so far.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Drop me an e mail address and will send u a pic

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
  17. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I thought about doing something like that and then thought... "how is that any better?" It's still a metal stud secured in plastic. So I didn't pursue it. Also, the mounting point in the car for the bottom stud bolt is somewhat flexible (you can move/bend it with your hand), whereas the top mounting point is rigid, and thus more prone to vibration. Hence, I think Dan's friend Rex is on to something. I just want to see provisions for getting the plug and screw out easier.

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The stud tapped into the plastic has worked for a couple of years now, the plastic re enforcing block is on the right track so maybe with a bit of work it will be fine.

19. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    I just realized that I was commenting on your video of changing your engine mounts ( I watched so many of your videos that I forgot what this post was about- LOL). Indeed, before you changed your engine mounts, your motor was dancing The Lambada. ;)

20. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Oh ok! Yeah, it was moving around quite a bit! I still can't believe how much better the car feels after changing those out.

Here's a video with the final version of the product being used on a light with a cracked stud. This should show you how it will work. Also, I wanted to address some of the concerns such as getting access to the bulbs, wiring harness, and the cost.