F430 headers....wrap or coat? | FerrariChat

F430 headers....wrap or coat?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 348Marky, Oct 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I know it's best practice to do 1 or the other to new headers for our cars, but I wondered what people's thoughts are on either Ti wrap or ceramic coating?

Pros/cons/preferences etc?

Thanks

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The capristo blankets on mine work fine, its the air traped in them that gives a lot of the insulation. Air being a very good insulator. The coating only reduces the outer temp of the pipe but does not insulate them from the engine bay- i suppose a combination is the best of both worlds.
    Modern industrial marine diesels dont have insulation on the exhaust, nor are they coated but the pipes are contained in an insulated box and while the exhaust pipes are 520C the outside of the insulated box is about 35 to 40C, such you can hold your hand on it. Does not burn the paint off either

3. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Blankets are the best way to go!

4. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Can you provide some level of facts as to why blankets are superior than the Ti heat wrap or any preferred coating? If the evidence offsets the price paid for blankets then we can put this debate to bed.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Are you concerned about the headers or engine bay temp? Coating (the inside of the pipe) is the only one that addresses both.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    How much is this coating going to drop the outside temp of the pipe ? It sure not going to be just warm

7. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You would have to consult coating vendors for their empirical data.
    Of course not, but it will be lower and thus the engine compartment temp will be lower. If engine compartment temp was an issue there would be all kinds of part failures occurring, but there are not. Parts located near the headers are most likely to benefit from a temp reduction, ANY temp reduction. If it was required to reduce the temp near the header to 'warm' Ferrari would have done that a long time ago, as would have every car manufacturer in the world.

If you are concerned about your headers then blankets and wraps are not the solution. Anything that traps heat in the material is not going to increase the longevity of the material.

8. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I spoke to Zircotec earlier today (they're less than 10 miles from me I realise!) & the guy I spoke to said their Motorsport white reduces temperature by 33%. Still very warm then, but wondered what people's preferences were?

Had forgotten about blankets, but they seem extremely expensive when compared to exhaust wrap or ceramic.

I assume the blankets are the best option?

9. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the points you've made there buddy. I was looking at this as I'd assumed it was a 'must do' when replacing the headers. Would the aftermarket options deal with heat differently to the factory headers though? I thought they had a heat shield installed whereas the stainless aftermarket ones didn't, so good idea to do something to give the same effect?

10. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    If I do headers... I would use blankets... from what I have read on here... the blankets will cut down on the heat in the engine compartment...

11. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OK, I'm at odds with all these replies (read bewildered). So a question: I have ceramic coated headers (agency) & S-line exhaust. Would it be an advantage to the engine bay, and whatever else blankets do to protect stuff to have them fitted also?

12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have Capristo blankets and they do a good job but not enough to prevent heat soak, so I have wrapped over the Capristo cat blankets and rear exhaust.

I had coated manifolds on my last car and found it to be less effective than blankets.

Parts don't need to fail: lower temp in the engine bay equals better performance and less degredation of seals and electrical components.

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    These aftermarket manifolds are 304 or in Capristo units 309 stainless with working temps way over a ferrari exhaust temp so it going to last the life of the car-

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Mine is pretty good with just the manifold blankets, mind you mine is only general road use

15. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What is the OEM material?

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk

17. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Fellas, does anyone know how much wrap I would need to do both headers please? There's quite a choice of widths & lengths out there it seems!

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I used Titanium Wrap on my agency power headers and I used two 50 foot rolls.
    This is what I used:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011B99B0I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have two more 50 foot rolls in my garage as I plan to wrap my Kline Innovation exhaust pipes soon. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

kestrou and shubchs like this.
  19. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Dan. How about some photos of your headers with the wraps on. I have agency ceramic coated headers, and am thinking of doing the same as you...

20. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Dan, Woops I just noticed the attachment with your headers wrapped. Now I have to figure out how easy it would be to take the headers off and have the wrapped. BTW, do you have ceramic coated agency headers, or just normal agency headers?

21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi, yes I have attached photo of my headers wrapped. Glad you saw it. I dont know why that photo did not show on the thread and had to be an attachment.

No I do not have ceramic coating on my headers. I did a lot of reading here and according to most members ceramic coating does not do a very good job containing the heat.

As far as how easy it is to remove the headers = After market headers are very easy to remove compared to stock exhaust manifolds. The header bolts are much easier to access and much easier to remove and replace. I would say headers can be removed and replaced in 2 hours not counting the time it takes to remove & replace the bottom panel and all its screws.

Here's photo again of my headers wrapped with titanium tape.

Hope that helps.

Dan Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Dan for the advice. I am thinking that perhaps it would help things if I wrapped my ceramic coated headers. Do you (or anyone else) see a problem in doing this? Or would it be counterproductive/not possible?

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I dont see any harm in wrapping coated headers.

If money is no object - I would go with header blankets. Capristo or fabspeed.
    Then I would also have them make blankets to wrap the rest of the exhaust system (catalytic converter, all exhaust pipes including the muffler.)

I think doing the above I mentioned would provide the most effective engine bay heat reduction.

Dan

24. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks again Dan. I appreciate the advice. I think I'll ask Tim (2na) to order those blankets for me. As I have agency ceramic headers and S-Line exhaust I should be good...

whatheheck likes this.
  25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I think thats the right approach. You can do before and after temperature measurements and your engine bay temp should be reduced almost by half of more than half by going with blankets.

Kindly share with us your experience and results.

Thanks!

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shubchs likes this.