F40 Silverstone Auctions withdrawn | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F40 Silverstone Auctions withdrawn

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Themaven, Sep 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Not if you owned one of europe's largest breakers for Ferrari & other exotic cars

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Some of the lesser damaged just by fire cars have a chassis that could be re jigged and re used.

That one has had more than just fire damage, its twisted as well from the accident, easier just to take from it the section with the VIN and transplant it onto another undamaged chassis if you have access to one, along with everything else needed, and how would someone have such?

I very much doubt Ferrari have every piece needed to build a complete F40 these days.

You can find odds and ends out there of used parts, new old stock etc but never enough to build a complete car from scratch.

If this had been an honest rebuild then the description would have matched the known facts surely?

3. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    But imagine if you owned a ferrari breakers yard in the UK ( and a very big one at that ) wink

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't want to suggest the auctioned car had this done, but with all that work you're listing, it sounds far easier to source a stolen ("lost") car and put on new tags. Again, I'm just saying that in response to the process of "re-building" a car and not saying this car may have had that. I have no skin in that game and couldn't care less what it sells for.

As far as Sherpa's car, that sounds pretty cool he had a car that was rebuildable and not a complete loss/scrap car. For those that actually want to drive the cars and drive them hard, I like that route. You can dictate how the car is rebuilt and make minor modern upgrades for safety/performance while getting to know your car inside and out for future maintenance. Plus, resale price and miles don't matter anymore so you can actually enjoy what the car was made for. :)

5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    True, I imagine eurospares either have, or can source all the required components.

However if you valued each of those used and new F40 parts individually, and added in the cost of construction and the cost of buying the VIN donor car in the first place would it still come out as less than the value of an F40 with such a background when it is being sold?

Maybe you can tell us :)

6. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    @Marcel, absolitly correct your story, I know these all as Austrian to. And please dont post the other pictures...

See you this weekend in Maranello.

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    You're right, sorry. The requirements say inter alia that a car's

"chassis, engine, gearbox, transmission, suspension, brakes, wheels, bodywork and interior are original or at least comply with the original specifications."

Still, the point remains: to source parts that 'comply with original specifications' is not much easier than sourcing OEM parts.

Strange, that it has Classiche, given its history and the fact that Marcel has so much knowledge of the car.

8. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    In an idle moment i googled the reg because something i had seen in the past stuck in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vceswUUJ0nw

You only need to pay attention in the first 5 seconds.

9. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
  10. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Sorry I was reading the entry from the auction house website - which they have altered

11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That was relatively minor accident, no fire, but he took the opportunity to rebuild including some minor mods.

12. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
    Description of entries from auction houses these days seems to consist of 90% waffle about the general history of a the model some intern have copied & pasted from the internet!? (Including from Ferrarichat.) Then the last 10% consists of some superficial and glossed over summary of the specific car in question.
    Both those F40 entries are examples of this and contributed to the failure to attract any bids and withdrawal. Have they now both been "burnt" again!?

The latter of these cars had a especially tragic history behind it. Good to see that all the information is out there, if one is prepared to look for it. Buyer beware !

Will be interesting to see how the car auctioned in Maranello yesterday did, apart from having been painted yellow(!) in the past it might be good un'?

http://www.rmsothebys.com/ff17/ferrari--leggenda-e-passione/lots/1989-ferrari-f40/1704993

13. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    The car from yesterday's auction sold for €1,079,000 all in.

14. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #39 PAUL500, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Good spot.

So you think Eurospares were behind the rebuild? were they the sellers or just carried out the work for an owner?

At least we now know its had a replacement starter motor! :)

It does look a nice car in its current guise, just not as described in the auction details.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    +1 nice find.

I'm not surprised a car with this storied history happened to find its way in a video about Ferrari spare parts, LOL.

16. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    As for who the owner was/is i do not know, but i can tell you how i found the video.

I saw the car in the inspection / delivery bay of a Ferrari dealer here in UK about 6 - 9 weeks ago.

The number plate stuck in my mind because NPR is an acronym for Number Plate Recognition, as in "NPR Cameras" ( weird i know but that is my brain ! )

The car had clearly just had the plates put on because the personalised plates were laying on the floor beside the car.

The personalised plate was .... EUR 1

I googled "H172NPR Euro" and hit the Eurospares video 3 or 4 from the top of the list

Go figure !

17. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    EUR1 went onto a GTC4 Lusso on 8th August, I guess that's the owner of eurospares latest steed then :)

I think the real back story is far more interesting than the claimed one in the auction details, and the latest iteration looks to be a very nice example.

18. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK

Oh yes, the F40 looked absolutely stunning, fresh as a daisy as if it had just rolled off the production line ( but perhaps not the one in Maranello ).

There was indeed a silver / grey GTC4 without plates in the wings so perhaps the jigsaw falls into place.

19. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Is there a photo of the roof conversion of the F40 of Franz Mayr-Melnhof-Saurau? Would love to see it with the double bubble roof! Thanks a lot!
    Christopher

20. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    If you go thru the thread and check my posts you will see that the answer is no.
    Baron Dr. Franz Mayr-Melnhof Saurau picked the car up at Michelotto's in Padova and on the way home to Austria on 3 June 1993 had the crash which in the end cost the life of two people.
    I have all the crash photos from the police showing the burnt out wreck etc. but I won't post these here.
    The S/N of the crashed F40 is 80726.

Marcel Massini

21. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear Mr. Massini,

Thanks a lot for the fast answer. I have read through it but thought there might be an photo from the works who did the conversion. Would have been interested only in the conversion and can fully understand that you do not post the crash photos.

Thanks
    Christopher