F355 challenge break pads 163297 | FerrariChat

F355 challenge break pads 163297

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by dantm, Nov 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Does anybody know the Brembo number for the Ferrari F355 Brembo brake pads? The Ferrari number is 163297.

Thank you...

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

We have been supplying Porterfield R4-FRP305.25 for the F355CH applications.

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    The OE F355 Challenge brake pads in the 90's was by Pagid, blue. IIRC their designation was R4-4 or R4-2. Definitely the blue pad, same compound as the OE F40 pad.

Best,
    Rob

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

4. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    #4 dantm, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    #5 dantm, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I was able to locate probably the last sets of sanely priced F355CH OEM brake pads, made by Pagid. The vendor sent me one set of orange and one set of black with notes that the orange ones should be used for the front and the black ones for the rear.

However, looking at the spec I see more breaking performance/friction both cold and hot out of the black ones rather than the other way around.

Shouldn't these be used the other way around?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Yes, agreed, black in front.

I was never a fan of the orange compound, high dust and too soft in our testing. I'm sure it will be okay in the rear position.

Monitor rotor and caliper temperature, that data plus noting wear rate will help you determine if this is a good set up for you or if you should go with the black compound all the way around.

Best,
    Rob

7. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The factory spec was the RS4-4 ORANGE pad both front and rear. I have multiple sets of lightly used but VERY old pads available if someone wants them. They even have history, Milka Duna used them when she owned my 355CH. Yes, they are that old.

The Black compound is readily available in 355CH sizes, its what I ran all last year in the CCR series both front and rear. It has more initial bite and higher friction levels versus the Orange, but also wear the rotors much quicker. I run the Blacks on another race car I own so i like the consistency of the feel jumping back and forth between the cars.

8. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.

PM-ed you...

9. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Hi Rob, sorry to be contradictory but for sake of historical clarity the OE fitment in 1995 - 1997 was the blue Pagid R4-2.

Orange and yellow were also available at that time directly from the US Pagid importer.

Best,
    Rob

10. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Quick question: if i were running the black RS 14 fronts, and blue RS 4-2 rears, and driving my car on the street to the track, how do these pads work cold?

Anyone ever do that with these or do so with the Porterfields or similar race pads?

Thanks,

Jason

11. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I've used Porterfield race pads driving to/from the track in several different Ferraris and haven't had any cold stopping issues. although I've always tried to be mindful of the potential for problems and driven accordingly.