ESPN takes over broadcasting in 2018 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

ESPN takes over broadcasting in 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Oct 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Barton -- What was Bisignano's problem in F1 before he got demoted to lawn mower racing? It's been a long time, but I still remember that he was visibly unhappy...unusual to see that. You would seem to be the guy around here that might know........

2. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If I can watch it on the ESPN App during a live race I don't care who the announcers are just limit the commercials and I am good.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  3. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Good luck!

4. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's a harsh reality to grasp

5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah, I hope for the same thing. I just don;t have much faith in ESPN to do it or to find a creative solution (they're already out there) to keep the action on the screen while the ads are showing.

schumacherf2006 likes this.
  6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As long as there is Univision I'm good.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  7. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  9. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Damn Man.....I love listening to Hobbs and Matchet !!
    I can’t imagine listening to another team.
    I was quite pleased with the guys they had....

10. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    When Varsha called the race, along with Hobbs and Matchet, a few weeks ago it was like old times. Loved it. Never like Diffy. Now this....

Kiwi Nick likes this.
  11. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Agreed, I really enjoyed the Hobbs, Varsha and Matchett team, Diffey was just annoying and shouty, always over dramatizing everything and trying to have his Al Michaels “Do you believe in miracles moment”.

ricksb likes this.
  12. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  13. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Very disappointed to hear that the announce team is being shown the door. They had best not bring in some football or NASCAR announcers! :mad: Any lame brain, tone deaf attempt to Americanize the sport will backfire. Kind of like the silly WWE style driver entrances at COTA...

I recall some idiot named Sheheen who announced for a handful of races several years back. Sounded like he should have been announcing monster trucks or perhaps college football at best. It cheapened the entire experience.

And to add insult to injury, I first heard of this when the failing McLaren team boss was consoling them on the air. :rolleyes: He may well be gone himself soon enough.

Hobbsie is my favorite and he didn't sound pleased about this development. ..

Bundy likes this.
  14. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They've already said they won;t be using ESPN talent for the commentary.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hobbs is an old curmudgeon who is very likeable and fun to listen to. I wish they would keep him.

Matchet is too far removed from his days in F1. They need someone with a more current resume'. Or he can go to McLaren since he's been buttering them up for 10 years.

Buxton and Duffy can go on a long vacation as far as I'm concerned. Anyone would be better.

CSM0TION likes this.
  16. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Would be nice if they just bought the entire production from Sky and just aired it verbatim but with their own ads spliced in.

TheMayor and hairy_scotsman like this.
  17. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Absolutely.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep. What would be better is no ads at all during the race and some kind of running banner ads then regular TV commercials at safety car periods.

19. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Rumor was that ESPN was going to have Chris Economaki do the races until they realized that he dies in 2012.

20. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Won't miss the "get ready to rumble" announcer at COTA. Everyone looked at each other in disbelief.

21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Agreed.

I'm not keen on any of them. Hobbs seems very out of touch, only able to offer generic platitudes about "what it's like to be a driver", and his heavy smokers voice really grates on me.

I despair with the commentary that consists of a series of random noises:

"Uhrnnnnnnnnn." (when they have no idea what's going on with some technical issue or have no idea what to say)

"WOW!" (at a tiny lockup)

"Whuyuyuyuyuyuyuh!" (at a tiny bit of oversteer or other inconsequential "moment")

"Boooom!" (at a driver crossing the line and taking pole)​

Arguably, that's more annoying than all the hedging of their bets in trying to sound knowledgeable:

"Oh, I don't know what could be wrong with that Ferrari. It sounds to me like it could be the exhaust, or the turbo, or the gearbox, or an issue with a driveshaft, or the suspension rubbing on something, or perhaps even the KERS has-"

* Ferrari radio: "turbo is gone, box." *

"...yes, yes, I thought it was the turbo. You could hear it, the turbo has gone."

"Well-spotted!"

Then you get the little segments by Will Buxton where he builds himself up into a completely incomprehensible wall of breathless words. He's so excited and rapid-fire, filling every possible moment of airtime with some sort of filler word to keep it rolling (ending several sentences with "guys"?), that I can't understand anything of what he trying to convey. I get that he's extremely passionate and thrilled to be there, but he doesn't have the required presentation skill for on-air speaking.

I think the only people who like the NBCSN broadcasting team are the ones who have never seen the good knowledgeable coverage we had in the UK with both ITV and the BBC over the years. David Coulthard was an excellent commentator.

If F1 is ever going to become popular in the States, it needs someone who:
    1. Has recent F1 experience and good knowledge, a former experienced driver would be excellent.
    2. Has articulate presentation skills and a calm speaking demeanor.

Any broadcaster here could do far worse than import the coverage from: David Coulthard (current broadcaster, runs a production company in the UK), Jenson Button (guest broadcaster once, may be tempted?), Mark Webber (guest broadcaster once, may be tempted?), Allan McNish (was good on the BBC), Karun Chandhok (was good on the BBC), Martin Brundle (good on ITV and later Sky Sports F1), or Anthony Davidson (used to present coverage on BBC Radio 5 Live). Lots of recent former drivers seem to do a good job.

All the best,
    Andrew.

22. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Every broadcaster gets excitable, just like the fan at home. Do I need it all the time, no. That said, I like the formula and will miss Hobbs and Matchett. Buxton tries and I appreciate that, its got to be hard on the "fly" on the grid.

One thing I am certain of, ESPN will "F" it up BIG time, no doubt!!

I am sure they will add their "political correctness" crap on saving the planet and the waste of all the fossil fuel, you watch!!

Oh and then there is Halo, great!!! rolls eyes

Finlander likes this.
  23. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Is ESPN in the US affiliated with ESPN in UK?

If so they have a knowledgeable and professional team in the U.K.... Jenny Gow, Sam Collins etc. Not sure Americans want to hear more Brits commenting on the sport though.

24. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Never mind... ESPN sold ESPN UK in 2013

25. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Jenny Gow is why I cannot listen to BBC 5 Live anymore, I could hardly call her knowledgeable, biased yes, annoying yes, but not knowledgeable.

daytona355 likes this.