ESPN takes over broadcasting in 2018 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ESPN takes over broadcasting in 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Oct 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I think it will be a refreshing change, as long as they do as Univision does. Multiple commercials during pre race, and no commercials during the race. Just single line ads with no commentary on the ad itself.

2. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah I predicted this the day they announced his hiring.

3. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Maybe F1/LM are setting this up as the precursor to their live streaming subscription service?

Clear as mud...
    https://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/f1-returns-to-espnabc-for-2018/

I hope this means we'll get the Sky coverage, but that quote makes it sound like maybe we won't (If it's correct. I know Todd and he doesn't usually post BS tho).

Kinda seems like this cat got outta the bag before they were really ready to let it run...

For a company counting pennies like ESPN supposedly is right now, just rebroadcasting the Sky feed a la TSN sure would be cheap for them, and it would be a HUGE upgrade from NBC that would make a lot of American F1 fans love them imho.

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Are you kidding? I'm on the edge of my seat seeing what rules are broken and bent and changed to favor Mercedes every race.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  5. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    From bad to worse, lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    My tv package has fs1 and fs2. NO espn channels. Looks like I won't get a chance to see many f1 races next year.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm pretty sure they would stream it online inside the US.

8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I could really give a **** about any coverage on tv. I along with millions of others cut the cable last year. I want to pay and log on to watch wherever I am... for the whole season or individual race. that simple. I can do that with nfl games. Should be easy.

Robb

9. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Marshall Pruett said today that he heard from a colleague at ESPN that it will be the world feed and it sounds like none of the commentators survive the switch from NBC.

10. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    What does this mean though? Isn't the world feed just video without any official commentary team?

11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  12. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Ditching NBCS for ESPN is fine with me, especially if the terminally inarticulate Diffey is left behind.

13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    What a disaster...I can just see Keith Oberman ignoring what is happening on the track to give us his opinions on politics. Maybe they'll add Jimmy Kimmel and Robyn Leach to the mix as well. I preferred the previous Speedvision...including their web site coverage on F1 and all other racing news. I'm tired of NBC moving the schedule around to favor Curling and Women's volleyball and any other sport they can disrupt F1 coverage with.

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Having watched a recent F1 race on the Spanish channel, the spanish channel has less than 1/3rd of the commercials.
    If I only spoke spanish.......

As far as I know, the world feed is a continuous stream throughout the whole race. Broadcasters insert their commercials at will.

15. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Best news I've heard all week

16. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Are we sure that the world feed is the same across all networks? I hate NBCSN so much that I download torrents and watch the races the next day. Sometimes I download multiple versions from different broadcasters: Sky F1, BBC, and/or NBSCN (if no other option) and see the same race from multiple networks. I’ve noticed that the shots are not always the same.

I’ve also noticed that different networks air different driver radio communications. Also, with Sky F1 you get live commentary from the pit wall like Christian Horner and Franz Tosts (don’t get these with NBCSN).

I’ll continue with watching Sky F1 whenever I can. Best commentary crew out there, plus they’ve now added Nico Rosberg as guest speaker at some races (who is excellent).

17. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    BTW everyone, someone I've been PM chatting with on another board says it's still very much up in the air how ESPN will proceed with coverage, fwiw (ie whether they'll hire their own announcing crew or piggyback on the Sky or Channel 4 broadcast audio etc). If you want to email them and to register your preferences, PM me for Burke Magnus's email address. Didn't think I should just post it here out in the open...

18. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Where did he say this? Can't find it.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Perhaps in an attempt to relive their F-1 glory days, ESPN will bring back Paul Page to butcher driver's names and John Bisignano to kiss the ass of whichever driver is the flavor of the week.

It seems we U.S. F-1 viewers always get the short end of the stick with regard to TV presenters.

If by some miracle ESPN gets this right, it will be worth watching. Otherwise, I'll be tapping in on SKY's
    live streaming broadcasts again.

BHW

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Apparently ESPN will have less shoulder programming than NBC. So expect the broadcast to start at the warmup lap and end with the drop of the flag.

21. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Less on TV according to them. Sounds like they're probably going to have pre- and post-race shows online.

22. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Not sure I am going to miss the pre and post race material. I find myself fast forwarding through it or skipping it all together. My passion for F1 has really begun to wane with this crap power unit Formula 1 and the lack of testing ending the season early due to the other teams not being able to catch up. Hopefully Liberty can right the ship and get the FIA to play ball, if not F1s best days are in the past, look at what happened to the WEC this year with Porsche and Audi pulling out of the series.

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Hilarious!

24. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Re: the bold, I will. I know I'll probably still be able to watch it online when I'm able to watch the race live, but I watch a fair number, most even, delayed. I really enjoy the pre- and post- race shows, esp Sky's.

Re: the rest, agree 100%.

25. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I like the idea of ESPN but I want the pre race and post race coverage. I hate watching stuff on line. I just hope they find decent announcers and also do replays of the races at a later time for those that start super early in the morning. No on line dang it other wise I would just watch SKY.