Engine Bonnet Foam | FerrariChat

Engine Bonnet Foam

Discussion in '348/355' started by 76Steel, Oct 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi guys,

The day has come when my 348 Spider engine foam (the main square) has had enough. It fell apart.

Does anyone who if a replacement part is available and any secondary options if this item is no longer produced?

Thank you,
    Mike

2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Did this job a couple of months ago. Easy and makes a big cosmetic difference.

Yup the old stuff is horrible and sticky, and takes lots of white spirits and elbow grease to remove.

I did it with the lid in situ.

The stuff bought had a sticky side, so I fitted it as described in the link, with the sticky back half removed, starting in the middle. Keep the backing in place for the rest as you feed the insulation under the bars, and tuck the edges in. Once the insulation is tucked in place you can pull the remainder of the backing off. if that makes sense?

Shop around for the insulation. I ended up with a big sheet, enough to do it twice for £20.

Have fun,

3. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies. I think the OEM foam stuff is still available if you search around, but it is expensive and once again, it won't last too long. I'll go with a new option heat shield all together I think.

4. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    97 Spider likes this.
  5. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 76Steel, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Tom,

This Mondial job looks excellent! Would you be kind enough to let me know which foam type/item you used for this? I see they have quiet a lot of options available. I might go this route for sure.

Thank you.

6. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
  7. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    Where did you get that foam from. It looks close to original

8. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    McMaster-Carr. I gave Mike the part #s.
    "The foam I used is 3/4" part # 9349K3. I first ordered 1/2" which is what I used on the Mondial, but I didn't like the fit. The 3/4" layed in much better especially if you slide the edges in under the lips where you can. They call it black but it is more like a dark gray. The adheasive I used was 4463K211. "

Qavion likes this.
  9. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Guys,

I have followed the directions from ferrarioldman and have purchased the foam and glue he recommended. Please note the 348's foam thickness is indeed 3/4" to look good. I did the job in one night and came out very good. Since the original OEM foam is gray when new, this new grey foam from McMaster-Carr makes it a very factory like finish. I'd like to thank ferrarioldman for his input b/c he helped a lot. I used minimal glue as a lot of the foam can be tucked into the lid. When ripping off the old foam, you will get plenty of glue left over and this can be enough to attach the new foam in place. Worth a shot in the least if your old foam is hurting.

The glue recommended from McMaster-Carr is the top notch stuff. A pint they sell is way too much for the foam attachment, but it is good to have a high quality adhesive around the house and the garage.

Mike.

ferrarioldman likes this.
  10. dparker94348

dparker94348 Rookie

Mar 1, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    David J. Parker
    I replaced mine with this stuff that West Marine sells; one kit is enough to do two cars. Not factory, but it looks nice and matches the foil-faced insulation the factory uses on the engine bulkhead (I've never lost any judging points due to it). It has peel-and-stick backing so you don't have to mess around with adhesives.

Preparation is the key here; I cover any areas that have adhesive residue with a small rag saturated (dripping) with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover and let it sit a few minutes. Scrape the softened glue off with a plastic (!) putty knife and keep using the solvent on clean rags until you've got the surface absolutely clean. If you don't, you'll be doing this again before long. I've done mine twice, ten years apart...

Attached Files:

Nader likes this.
  11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    "Yup the old stuff is horrible and sticky, and takes lots of white spirits and elbow grease to remove. I did it with the lid in situ."

That's what I'm trying to do, specifically, without removing the lid from the car. But so far, Goo-Gone and the 3M adhesive remover only seems to soften the glue, thus making it stickier and spreadable.

Can anyone suggest a solvent? One that's also safe for the paint?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    When I bought this 348tb, it had almost pristine engine lid foam. The car came from Canada, and it didn't take long before the Florida heat took its toll. After about 6 months the foam started sagging.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Qavion likes this.
  14. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That old foam is pretty bad when it gets bad. I was actually thinking of making a kit of this foam for anyone here that might be interested as I have the stancil form for the foam cutouts. The only issues would be for guys to get their own glue.

15. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
  16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I finally completed the de-gooing on my engine cover. Right now it's perfect if I want to re-apply some foam... but I'm thinking maybe I should do without. If so, I'll repaint this area during the next full service.

Oddly, one area under the foam was never painted black to begin with.

Image Unavailable, Please Login