Door switches 160-161 | FerrariChat

Door switches 160-161

Discussion in '348/355' started by Efudd1957, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Efudd1957

Efudd1957 Rookie

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Elmer fudd
    i have broken wiring going to switch 160-the control switch for open door marker-158. My question is, what is the procedure for accessing this wiring for repair.

2. Efudd1957

Efudd1957 Rookie

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Elmer fudd
    Since its been a few days since my post I have to assume that I did not explain my wiring problem correctly. There are to many smart folks out there to not get a reply or the question was to dumb. In any case before I tear into areas that i may regret I am going to explain again.
    This problem exists on the drivers side, passenger side works correctly.
    There are two plunger switches located in door jam that are activated by bottom door hinge. On this car the top switch operates the interior light and the open door marker light by grounding one side of the lights to turn them on. The bottom switch activates the seat belt harness and maybe some other function.
    The problem I had was intermittent lighting of the door open marker sometimes no light, sometimes light won't go off when door is closed, the interior light did not come on at all. I was able to extract the switch and found frayed and broken wires, which would cause the lighting problems. I am unable to access the wires for repair by going thru the switch hole.
    What I need help with, is a way to access the wires that need repair.
    So I need to repair wiring by gaining access behind jam either from inside, there are no obvious screws, maybe remove carpet or dashboard or foot rest or some other procedure. I tried removing what looked like an access plate in the inner fender well but gave up after taking out about 8 screws. That's my perdicament. Any Ideas or help would be appreciated.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Judging by the numbers, you're talking about the 348? Please add your car/s to your profile page ;) How far away are the switches away from the main door harness? There's a picture of the harness here, but I've had no personal experience and don't know if the door switch wiring is accessed in the same way:

348 Door Wiring Connector Repair

Would you have any photos of the location?

4. Efudd1957

Efudd1957 Rookie

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Elmer fudd
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Enclosed is shot of the location of the switches. The top square hole is the place where the plunger switch in question resides. Below that hole is the other identical switch which is presently in place. Both switches are in between the bottom hinge casting, facing to the left. The wire harness you referred to in the article comes from the front. Thanks for the interest. The car is a 348 ts. Vintage 1990.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the photo... Tricky... Are the wires too short for repair or did they fall down inside the cavity and you're unable to fish them out? If the latter, can you remove the lower switch or one of the door hinge bolts to find and reposition the wires? Can any wire length be gained by swapping the position of the switches?

I guess there is always the worry that you will break the wires on the lower switch if you disturb it.

6. Efudd1957

Efudd1957 Rookie

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Elmer fudd
    When I pulled the top switch out the wires were about 3 inches and fraid. I tried reaching in with small forceps but was unable to grab anything. Looks like a switch repair that went bad. There has to be a way to access the wire side of the switches. I think I will try again to remove the inner fender well access plate where the door wire harness passes thru. This should not be such a big deal, where is the Haynes shop manual?

taz355 likes this.
  7. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    There is actually a round rubber plug directly underneath on the bottom of the car. I dropped the wires into the depths of the door pillar while replacing the switch once and was able to fish it back through with hemostats. But as I recall there was Zero wiggle room as far as the wire length.

Qavion likes this.
  8. Efudd1957

Efudd1957 Rookie

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Elmer fudd
    Thanks for the info, the hole is indeed there, unfortunately a critter was living in there, and is padded nicely with leaves, acorns and other miscellaneous bedding material. This may indeed be what caused the problem, a chew job. I spent some time trying to clean it out but so far I'm not seeing anything that looks like wires. I need to do a better job with the clean out but your right the size of the hole dose not allow much room to work. There must be another way to access those wires.
    So I am going to put the car up to get better access to the hole.
    Thanks again for the help. I will let you know what happens

9. Efudd1957

Efudd1957 Rookie

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Elmer fudd
    To anybody that followed this thread, here's the deal.
    The access hole does not provide enough space to fish out wires for repair.
    Removing the inner fender well piece also does not provide any access to switches or wires.
    The answer lies in the luggage compartment release lever. On my 348 I removed the so called seatbelt mouse track unscrewed the screw holding the release lever and pulled down a piece of carpet from around the lever. Removed the two bolts holding the left compartment lock this provided enough slack to move the release lever enough to access the cavity were the switch wires live. After removing half a dozen acorns I found both wires broken, probably chewed by the previous resident, was able effect repair.
    Thanks to everyone for there help.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Qavion likes this.
  10. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Good to hear. Come to think of it when I did mine I shined a bright LED light through the hole on the bottom and then fished the wire out with hemostats through the actual switch hole. But the wires were extremely short. Iate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm pretty sure that pillar is rock solid with no access but if you think you can get to it through the top somehow that would be impressive keep us posted