Dino Saga 081012 _ AT 802 Shoot & Window Switch | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 081012 _ AT 802 Shoot & Window Switch

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Oct 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 081012 _ AT 802 Shoot & Window Switch

Wednesday was beautiful and I got lots of shots of the AT 802s and what they were doing. No cowboy airport action, just a marvelous demo of a batch of pros doing their thing. Everyone in the crew is going to really enjoy their time off after this one.

I started at the airport so I could see where they were working that day. Saw a string of 802s heading out along Glenn Annie road. Okay, there are a few spots out there that have a clear shot of the mountains behind the foothills. First concentrated on the action on the ground. One 802 was sitting and smoking. It was back by the fence and mechanics were climbing over it. There were two loading spots, full all the time. Guys must be working very close in and were waiting for a spot to fill up again after drops. There is a six ft. chain link fence, barbed wire on top, around the entire airport. Forest Service had opened their viewing area and had nice iron benches to sit on. Standing on one let me get the lens above the chain link and resting against the top rail. Perfect.

Half a dozen 802s made you dizzy. They work both solo and in pairs and the ground guys earn their money. Big heavy hoses for the mulch, check and clean the airplane and wave them off again. One shot shows three headed out with one waiting to reload. The company brings everything they need and from the size of the tankers, no one will run out of fuel. Mechanics finally decided the smoking 802 was in the way so moved it over by the tankers. More peaceful there.

I drove over to Cathedral Oaks road and could see a big green triangle on the mountain. Saw the string of planes headed up Glenn Annie so followed suit. Watched planes dive down behind foothills and come back up a few seconds later headed back to the airport. Found a spot looking down and saw planes way down there. Terrain is steep. Planes have GPS and auto dump. Can make 2 dumps in close succession. All pilots have to do is fly the track down low and not run into a pile of rocks. Lots of jinking. Heard a loud whump-whump and looked up to see the Skycrane dump a load near the top of the mountain. He works from the backside and handles the high stuff. By the time I got the telephoto lens on him, he was turning back to reload. Did get a shot though. Ended the day with a nice shot as a plane made a dump just below us. Good machinery, great piloting.

Some Dino owners have been discussing Dino window switches. They were talking about a 5 terminal switch and I could not get my head around 5 terminals. 4 or 6 would make sense. You need power, ground and both motor leads to get a reversible system. The switch has to be some kind of a momentary double pole double throw (DPDT) setup. Probably a custom since it is always good practice to actively stop the motor when the switch is released. Easy way is to short the motor. I decided to pull one of my switches and see what I have. It is a four pin custom switch that shorts the motor at stop. Took photos and did an artistic drawing as to how it might work. Here is the link:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=138099718#post138099718 See #26.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login