Dino Saga 080921 _ Sunny Afternoon | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080921 _ Sunny Afternoon

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Sep 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080921 _ Sunny Afternoon

Nice sunny afternoon and parking lot was quiet. Haven’t shot the whole car in a while so parked over by the chipping green. The new coating on the asphalt has been stained and really needs a good washing down. Too lazy to drag out a quick-connect and a hose. We will get some rain near the end of October so it’s not worth worrying about.

Camera was ready to go. Sure do like the zoom lens on the Fuji S6000. 28 to 300 mm range and not too heavy. It is so easy to both carry and handle. I hefted a couple of DSLRs with a 100 mm fl lens and then with a 4X zoom. I used to haul all that weight with film cameras and I am cured. 8 ½ x 11 digital prints and 800 x 600 on-line pictures are about as big as I will ever go. Have run to a digital projector but 1900 pixels is limit for HD and that will probably hold for a while. I want the control but don’t need the resolution or speed of full size lenses. 2800 horizontal pixels (6 MP) leaves you lots of cropping room. One of the following shots goes from full frame (2800 pixels) to 2200 pixels to 800 pixels. First two were reduced to 800 and sharpened. Last one was cropped full size and sharpened lightly. All look good on the Internet.

I wanted to show the difference in looks of the mountains where they had burned and not burned. The little bit of haze turned everything to the same blue-grey. Fire break line in one of the pics is the only guide. Left of the fire break line burned, right did not. Funny to see how fast the Forest Service got bulldozers of all sizes up here during and after the fire. Back in the 60s there were fire breaks all over the mountains. Then the tree huggers wouldn’t let anyone touch pristine nature. Hasn’t been pristine since the mid 1800s. The Forest Service has to fight the fires and wants every advantage they can get. Fire breaks are worth their weight in gold. Nobody tells the guys on the line to get a permit. Now some breaks are back and the Service is planning to seed the canyons. If we get light early rains, grass will grow and slow down the silt and water coming later. If not, floods are possible at the mouths of the canyons. Pray.

Car is doing fine, clock and radio holding their own. Still playing with wheel caps but not very quickly. Made a mold for the very outside of the cap. Just used some casting plaster. Will try molding a cap out of black silicone. If it looks good, will glue it on to the backing I already have. Photo paper makes great prints of Gotti logo. Will try gluing a print into the cap with clear silicone. Should be weatherproof and sun proof. We will see.

Never got a comment back on the alignment of front and rear wheels on the Dino. My fronts are bolt centric and my rears are hub centric. Front spindles are smaller than bore of hubs. Rear spindles exactly fit bore of hubs. Is this normal? I had inserts made for the front wheels during the wheel rebuild and centering is now a no-brainer.

Enjoy the pictures,

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    BEAUTIFUL CAR! Great PICS!

James in Denver

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  4. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #4 Crawler, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
    You've outdone yourself, Corbani! Beautiful. It makes me wish I was back in SoCal (I left in 1990)! You're right about the lines of the GT vs. the GTS, but to me, the ability to take the top off pretty much offsets that. Your car is gorgeous, though. No doubt about that.

5. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    #5 Italian Lover, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    John, thanx for the gorgeous update pics w/ the Santa Barbara backdrop. Thought I'd add my few pics taken in 2004. Notice the front bumpers' are the thinner 206 bumpers. My car is certainly not in a tiptop shape as yours but she runs great. Almost every week, I drive her to work (Tokyo) as a commuter. At the moment, I do not wish to overrestore her because I like this "unrestored" overall feeling. The backdrop is in Yokohama, few minutes from where I live. w/ smiles Jimmy

6. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Jimmy:

Do you find left-hand drive to be much of a problem on your roads? I have the same issue (reversed) here in the US with a right-hand drive car. The main drawback, for me, is seeing the road ahead when stuck behind a large vehicle and wanting to pass. Someone asked me recently if I'd ever thought about having my car converted to LHD, and I told him "no". Waaay too expensive, I'm sure, even assuming I could find someone who could do it correctly.

(Sorry to hijack the thread.)

Dan

7. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Actually Dan, I prefer driving LH here in this RH country. There are few minor inconveniences such as opening door at tight spots, parking meter ticket access, et al. However, I find LH driving to be easier. Don't waste your time, energy & money to even consider converting RH to LH. Jimmy

8. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Great shots, Jimmy and John. I got back home Thursday night, but didn't get the chance to take the un-stored blue Dino out this weekend. Fall has descended, with thick dew in the morning. I probably won't get a chance to see the Dino in the sun until next Saturday. Fred

9. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Beautiful land there. I know the region where I spent few years in Springfield, Mass. to be specific. Sure miss the autumn in New England. Hope to see few pics of your Dino soon, Fred. w/ smiles Jimmy

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I will try to take some new photos soon, Jimmy. It's always fun to take new types of close-up shots. Your black/red color combination is magnificent! You must have one of a very small number of Dinos in Japan. Fred

11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    wow the blue dino is utterly hypnotic; one of best I've ever seen

congratulations on being the fortunate keeper of it ;)