Dino Saga 060326___Spark Plugs, Wires | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060326___Spark Plugs, Wires

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Mar 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Mar 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060326___Spark Plugs, Wires

I talked about my preferred plugs early on. NGK Iridium. Now a little more of the why.

My owner’s manual says Champion N60Y gapped to 0.016” to 0.020”. Clean every 3000 miles, Change every 6000 miles. This is a VERY cold plug. Too cold for a daily driver. Obsolete anyway. I played around with a variety of medium range plugs.

Champion N6YC turned out to be OK. Did not foul in traffic and looked OK after a spirited run. Standard procedure was to gap 0.025 and run until hard to start. 2500 miles, clean plugs and re-gap. Run for another 2000 miles, throw the plugs away and start over. I ran that way until I could not smog the car. Valves had worn and there was no way I could get all cylinders to idle cleanly below 1000 rpm. Air injection was long gone so everything else had to be perfect. Jack Bianchi suggested NKG Platinum plugs. I tried them and Bingo. Passed smog for two more years. Finally had to do a valve job just before car became exempt on it’s 25th birthday. Good thing I did valves. One exhaust had cracked. Never changed those plugs until the 2004 re-build, 40,000 miles later. They were still fine but had become obsolete. Changed to NGK Iridium just for the Hell of it. NGK BPR7EIX. Smaller center; start and run fine, will probably outlast me.

Have looked at all kinds of data and believe that the small center electrode cures all kinds of ills at low speeds. Does away with the need for MSD or other exotic ignition systems.

It is interesting to look at the various types of plugs and the different numbering systems. Both Champion and NGK are well known and are easily cross referenced to other makes. Finding the rationale of the numbering systems is more difficult. The following chart might help those trying to make sense of “what plug is one range hotter (or colder).”

________Champion___________NGK
    Hot________N9______________BP5
    ___________N9______________BP6
    ___________N8______________BP6
    ___________N8______________BP7
    ___________N7______________BP7
    Cold_______N6______________BP8
    Really Cold_N60_____________BP10

Plug wires are AC Delco SS 550, Stainless core, Silicone insulation. They are 20+ years old and still fine. Tried resistor core wire once. Engine would not fire. Forget it.

Pics show Champion, AC Platinum, NGK Platinum, NGK Iridium. Smaller tips, better idle. Noble metals handle heat and erosion. That NKG Platinum has 40,000 miles on it.
    Sun came out after a week of cold and rain. Couldn’t resist another Dino portrait.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ajmarton

ajmarton Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    John
    What do you gap the NGK Iridiums at? Also, what do you think about using them in a 67 Fiat Dino 2L (Dinoplex C). Andrew in Los Angeles

3. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Between 25 and 30 mils is good. There is virtually no erosion from daily driving so it is "Set and Forget." The Iridium plug in the picture has 5500 miles on it. I pulled it for the shot and did not clean it up. The black color on the tip, light brown on the insulator, crushed washer and the dirt on the outside are the only signs it has been used. The Champion would have both electrodes well rounded by 4000 miles.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    John, what heat range do you recommend for the 308 QV?