Depreciation Crystal Ball | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Depreciation Crystal Ball

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Piper, Sep 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gadgetman

gadgetman Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2008
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Curt W
    couple points on earlier posts. Masers....i've had a couple, and currently have a 2011 QP. The quality has been very good. No breakdowns or anything 'falling off'. You've just got to realize it will be a different ride than an S class or a 7 Series. It's not the same 'cushy' ride but it can be alot of fun.
    Also agree on depreciation around 40% or so. Buy used or new in August when you can sometimes get a screaming deal. I did that last year.

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Boy does this ring so very true! We need to start a Cars Anonymous club....

Bob, I am/was in a very similar position as you. I have 3 little boys which makes my situation even tougher.
    My stable is:

F430 Spider
    AM DBS
    LR4
    E60 M5
    Lotus 211

Prior to picking up my DBS, I was first trying to "compromise" the kid factor by
    trying to find a "5" seater to fit the kids in the back (thought about the Mas QP or Flying Spur - NO way - not sporty enough for me to drive).
    Then I said, I'll just pick up a very sporty "4" seater and lug 2 kids around in the back - was looking at Astons, so considered the DB9, Rapide, Virage....so guess what I did - sold 2 of the kids! JK
    Picked up the DBS 2+0. I wanted so hard to get a 2+2 so I could pick up my kids from school, but in the end, I just had to get the car I wanted with the options I wanted.
    DBS, DB9, Cali, 911's, Evoras - the rears are just not practical....

You already have the GL450 (my wife had that, great car!), and a Cayenne to lug the kids around....don't be in denial of your disease.... :)
    Bottom line is get the car that'll make your adrenaline rush!

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm zeroing in on a Quattroporte it seems. I'm looking for value right now with the uncertainty in govie contracting. Been a stupid stressful year worrying. Boggles the mind what a deal you can get on QP's. I'm looking at a few now but probably won't spend very much, just responsibly replace my daily driver with something that has a third the miles and a lower payment. That I can do this and still be driving a Maserati that looks brand new with 20k miles is amazing to me. Of course my Cayenne TTS still looks almost new as well except with the garage ding from the ONE time the wife drove it. hard to notice, but she took a little of the crease out of the left rear wheel well. Looks amazing, drives amazing. I'm crazy to get rid of it, but as you said, can't deny the disease. Just try to manage it. The QP I'm staring at currently is in the same colors as the Cayenne, interior and exterior, burgundy over tan.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Being that the thread title is "Depreciation Crystal Ball", the QP is definitely at the peak of cars that depreciate. Value for the $, yes it's a great car. I have thought about it as well and for a "family" car, it's a great choice.
    Others I have thought about are the Alpina B7 and there is the new Alpina F12 B6 which looks gorgeous with 500+ HP.

5. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I like the Maserati QP's but that is NOT going to cure your F car itch, it just won't. The Maseratis have exotic flair but it is not a Ferrari. Besides every time you go to Ferrari/Maserati Washington for service you will crave the prancing horse. I suggest you enjoy the Corvette for the next few months and lay low in the winter (I suppose you would not drive much in winter, at least I don't drive mine much once salt goes down?). Buy the Cali in the end of winter before the spring prices go up, you should make a great deal then, IF you can wait..... just my 2 cents.

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I agree with you, but it's two different applications. The vette will one day either be replaced with a ferrari or share a bay or I'll build a car port and keep the vette outside. My kinda sorta goal now is to get a modena to satiate for a few years, keep the vette. Vette is an incredible value and I love the car. I'm not really interested in getting rid of it. That's one side of my sickness. The other side is my inclement weather, drive the kids, get the groceries daily driver, currently a Cayenne TTS I have no real reason to replace. But I can. With a Maserati. :D

7. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    LOL I was ( past tense ) a vette fanatic. Owned approximately 12 vettes including one of the first Z06's built in 2000 and had a '10 ZR1. Took the Cali for a test drive and realized I will never drive the vette again so I just surrendered the keys to the ZR1.
    Don't bother with the car port, trust me :)

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    :) I met a woman at a car show about a month ago that had her vette with her racing helmet, etc, into SCCA racing, parked directly in front of me. She was good looking enough so I offered her a ride in the California and after a few miles let her drive the Cali. When she pulled the Cali back into the parking spot at the car show she said "I'm not sure if I really want to drive that damn 'truck' of mine home now". She was pretty happy with me. It was fun to share.

Rick

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a two big contracts that were supposed to be awarded late Sept. One was extended for about the fifth time, now until end of January. The second hasn't been awarded yet either, I'm told by end of next week. The uncertainty makes it hard to decide what to do next, but I think it's clear enough that the Cali isn't a family car replacement. Close, but my kids have legs, so no dice. It really comes down to just that. So some day, it'll be Cali vs. Corvette?? But you know, I scrape that spoiler on the vette daily and don't give a ****. I'd take it to a D.C. garage and not give a ****. I can put 5k miles a year on her and not give a ****. And it really is a great ride, so it has its place. I made my bed. Have to sleep in it a while. But if we start killing it, I'd love to be thinking Cali over Modena.

10. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Touche - you are so right. And you are not scraping the spoiler but the plastic piece ( don't remember the name ) under $100. I bottomed out at my kid's school and the estimate is $7,500. I am talking about a 3 inch scrape under the passenger back fender. Then I read a thread on the 458 section and someone racked up $46,000 for a 5 mile per hour fender bender. EHH hah.

11. Cliff Torus

Cliff Torus Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    Fairfax County VA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Torus
    #61 Cliff Torus, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You got it...this machine is effin' boss!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida

40% maybe on a QP, a lot less on a GranTurismo

For example a GTS 2012 priced at 135k you can never get it at 81k NEVER

Best you can get is close to 20%.

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    After driving a QP, I was not impressed. Too much body roll, a mushy ride, and lackluster acceleration. It did sound good, but that's not enough to overcome everything else. With choices like the M5 (available in 2013 MY in a stick!), the AMG 63, and Jag XFR out there, there are plenty of family/sports sedans to choose from. Take the Jag for the best blend of looks, comfort and performance, or take the M5 or AMG as the best performers. All three would run circles around a QP for less money, especially the Jag.

14. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    the Jag is definitely a unique and under appreciated car. I never drive my wife's XKR but the Cali was in the shop for necessary Carbon Fiber upgrades and I was actually impressed with the balance between comfort and performance. She does not know it yet but a XFR will be under the XMas tree :)

15. Cliff Torus

Cliff Torus Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    Fairfax County VA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Torus
    #65 Cliff Torus, Nov 26, 2012
  16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #66 Need4Spd, Nov 27, 2012
    "Necessary" carbon fiber upgrades. LOL!

As for the XFR, what a great gift! I have a tough time prying our XFR from my wife on those days when I don't want to drive my car (e.g. it's raining).

BTW, don't get me wrong when I suggest the (F10) M5 and AMG 63 have better performance. I've driven an XFR extensively on a track, and think it's terrific there. The XFR has amazing brakes that don't fade and are easy to modulate. Terrific grip and handling. I haven't driven either of the German cars, so I'm just going by what other reviewers say compared to the Jag. But I can vouch personally for the Jag, and the other reviewers say the Jag is more comfortable (except a bit tighter in rear seat room). The XFR is also ~$20k less than the M5 and more individualistic, since M5s pretty much look like all of the other 5 series sedans, and there are fewer XFs and even fewer yet XFRs, at least around here.

Also, since I'm already way off topic, anyone thinking about the new Maserati SUV as an alternative to a sedan?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Cliff Torus

Cliff Torus Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    Fairfax County VA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Torus
    #67 Cliff Torus, Nov 27, 2012
  18. Geoff Taint

Geoff Taint Rookie

Dec 31, 2012
    I chose a California it being a 4-seater, deciding to go pre-owned with a 2011 and let depreciation work in my favor on the front end of the deal. Now is a great time to buy.

19. andremaneur

andremaneur Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
    Evidently the Kubang is now called the Levontay. With back to school upon us, the Levontay would be exquisite for shuttling the fam to soccer other extra curricular activities. Not due to be out till next year, I may have to delegate a Cali to this role in the interim. Any ideas on what say a 2013-2014 Cali would be worth in 2017?

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The Levante has been due out next year since 2013.

21. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Yes, it is giving vaporware a bad name.

22. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I must say after having 2 Maserati GTCs, receiving a loaner of Ghibli was exciting ! I loved driving it, however, when I got my Cali T back yesterday, WOW what a difference :)

23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Modern American women have significant entitlement issues.

24. andremaneur

andremaneur Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
    My wife isn't that bright, one time she called me saying some guy carjacked her, I said "Did you see what he looked like?" She said she got the license plate number.

25. bonalonio

bonalonio Rookie

Nov 27, 2015

YES! There we have it