Common/Repeated Problems on 599? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Common/Repeated Problems on 599?

Discussion in '612/599' started by 599ing, Sep 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    My 2010 599 HGTE has 27K km's and brakes have 70% life left and clutch roughly 80% life left... So I think that a 100K km estimate is not that far off if the car is not abused. Btw, I've tracked my car twice since I bought it.

SonomaRik and jorge da cruz like this.
  2. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thanks. Very informative.

3. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016

My clutch is 20% worn at 20k miles so has likely never used L.C. But my brakes are almost at end of wear limit. I drive at speed (have just won first in 12 cylinder class at Mille Miglia). If you drive the car as designed they are a consumable part.

4. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Of course they are consumable parts... However, depending on your driving style, these consumbales can last a long time just like they can wear out after one track event. This is my third Ferrari and I have never had a clutch change in either F1 or 3 pedal. All three have been tracked at least twice per driving season and off track I'm a spirited yet careful driver... I'm glad to see you enjoy your car as intended :) .

5. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016
    Totally agree, biggest factor is ownership and how it is driven.

I meet loads of people here in the UK who THINK they drive their cars hard - they don't.

Some people adamantly suggest steel brakes on a 430 / 599 are okay for road use - take that car to the Stelvio pass and see how they hold up...

Some people do track days - okay but what level?

Give your car to a racing driver and see how it holds up

If all you do is 2-3000 miles per year to cars and coffee and back then sure the brakes will last 100,000km

6. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I don't do cars n coffee all that much... I do wake up the cows and chickens on my spirited runs on the back roads.. Last year, I tracked the car hard enough that a 2015 corvette started overheating trying to keep up with me... I'm no Mario Andretti, but I'm not a poseur either .

7. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016
    Was not talking about you I was agreeing and commenting in general

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. GSTRacing

GSTRacing Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Prescott, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary St.Amour
    I just drove my 2008 spiritedly and when I pulled in the driveway it had developed to oil leaks on both the left and right front corners of the engine. Doesn't particularly look like the valve covers, ehaust manifolds are dry. Oil seems to have been sprayed onto the sides of the of the engine compartment. Hoses and electrical connectors are wet, very hard to see. any ideas?

9. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    May be from the pcv system which if the oil level is on the higher side can burp back to the MAF units and drip down toward the air box. Some oil will exit via hose connection areas and look like a leak near the front valve cover area. Spirited driving may exacerbate the issue. Clean and lower oil level to address the issue.

10. GSTRacing

GSTRacing Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Prescott, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary St.Amour
    Doctor Mark, you called it! It is wet with oil dripping from the air tube connection right in front of the MAF sensors both side, engine is dry. Oil is 1 quart low, so now what?? Is there a fix for this?

I had a Bonanza one time that you could never keep the oil topped up, ran it 1 qt low and it never used any.

11. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I have not found a fix but it seems to be less of an issue with keeping the oil level on the lower side of the dip stick levels. Suspect the best fix would be a catch can but fitting it, if possible, is beyond my pay grade and my tech does not wish to deal with it.

12. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Hello everyone,

I am considering an early 599 that's in my price range (unfortunately an auto). I have read that the shocks start leaking at various mileage and can only be replaced with factory ones bc of the magnetic ride electronics?

Any comments would be helpful.

Cheers,
    T

13. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Yes, that is my understanding, Just had mine replaced (had to replace both of course) at a cost of approx. £3400.

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Todd- The F1 system in the 599 is not an automatic. It is a manual transmission with an electro hydraulic shift and clutch actuation system. Use it like an automatic and you will likely hate it. Drive it like a manual transmission with the clutch pedal missing and you will love it.

SonomaRik and Makuono like this.
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    While Terry is correct as usual (and often quite helpful!) I think Todd was basically lamenting that there is not much for his left foot to do when shifting through the gears without the third pedal to dance on.
    Though in general a 599 is only useful in Ontario between May and October anyway...

16. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    Think my fuel pump is leaking.
    Can't even step in the garage even a day later or I might suffocate from the fuel smell.

How much did it cost for the part and labor?
    What's involved in the labor? I heard something about the interior needs to be removed or something?

Have under 11k km on mine. It's my first time and hopefully the last.
    Guess I'm going to have to tow it.

17. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Has anyone had any issues with the front radiator grill being punctured by flying gravel. Like the 612 the front grill is very exposed and doesn't have a protective mesh in front of it.

Does the car also suffer from the usual ball joint wear

Ive owned a 612 in the past and was wondering if the 599 has some similar issues

18. Jmkone

Jmkone Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    Glasgow . Scotland
    Full Name:
    Jim Kirkland
    Hi I have 2008 599 with 22k miles the dealer I purchased the car from stated that the clutch had been replaced at 21k miles .
    First thing in starting the car it now seems a bit jerky in first gear but once the car has been driven this goes away ...anyone have any ideas or help much appreciated

19. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Try being more positive initially on the throttle then lifting off - this certainly helps with the earlier F1 g/b

The next step would be to have the PIS checked or reset

20. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Tie rod ends, lower ball joints, engine hoses, cam cover gaskets. all replaced at 22,000km, under extended warranty.
    I currently have 30,000 km. the dash acts up some times but that is not an issue with me.
    I drive my 599 all lot more in the last little while. maybe twice a week. I will replace the battery over the winter with a better brand. ( it coming up on three years)
    The battery in my Maserati GT doesn't last more that 2 years.

21. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    My Car (Nov 2009 HGTE) 11 980 Kilm

1 When starting the car without waiting the proper 3/5 seconds so all the sofware of the eletronics "upload"

Some time ( every 6 months or so) an ALERT is showed up in dasbord

PLEASE CONTACT NEAREST DEALER

"VEHICLE DATA MISSING" !?!?!

I Just power of the ignition 5 seconds ... wait and only power ignition on again (5/7 seconds later) after all clicks "zwuiiiiims" are done and silent comes up

ALL IS OK NO MORE PROBLEMS./ alerts

Only issue and "eating battery every time we just let it be with alarm on after two monts powered

Nothing more

22. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Has anyone found a reasonably priced solution to the seaminly inevitable leaking shock expense.

23. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    1) front left shock leaking, I need to replace. In Poland there is a Company that repair that kind of shocks, but I’ve mounted a new set
    2) electrical gremlins, especialy from battery not fully charged. I received an error as on the picture, cluster resets many times, everyting was blinking on instrument cluster. Once I’ve changed the battery, problem solved. The old one at first look was fine. Probably something inside the battery was causing the problem.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    My instrument cluster is gone so I need to send it for repair. Also the Ferrari quality on finishing a leather on cluster is poor so now i can repair it too. Also in factory they cut a leather too much in one place - as you can see on picture.
    For those, who will need to take out the cluster. There is no need to take out anything other then the cover behind a steering wheel. Just a small screwdriver then and Everything is out in 10 min.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017