Common/Repeated Problems on 599? | FerrariChat

Common/Repeated Problems on 599?

Discussion in '612/599' started by 599ing, Sep 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    I am approaching end of warranty period and searched for "extended warranty" and I found most responses to those thread being limited to "would you pay $X for a peace of mind?".

Well.. depends... :)

What problems are commonly/repeatedly found in 599s ? And what do they cost?

Did a search on common problems, and I just found 1 repeated problem:

Stereo issue:
    upon starting the car and turning the stereo, the stereo makes a white noise sound immediately after being powered on and the music doesnt play. To the unaware, it is usually cured by restarting the car. Well the dealer told me im starting the car too early and the solution for that is just turn the key on and wait a bit, like 10 seconds (i know its long).. i just wait until the car is completely quiet. Then start the engine. Then start the stereo. And youll never get that problem again.

That aside, anyone seeing other repeated problems?

2. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My car developed a leak from the front engine gasket at 2000 miles. Apparently, my dealer has fixed at least 7 cars with similar problems.

3. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    And also the fuel pump problem, which I know is a common problem on all 599. I had mine replaced 3 times, where by the third time, Ferrari had an updated part which seems to fix the problem permanently.

4. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    #4 599ing, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
    neosky, What year is your car?
    fuel pump replaced 3 times thats just too much :(. How much mileage do you have? Did you use any racefuel or something out of the norm? Maybe it was only a defect on the first batch of 599s?

And as far as the front head gasket change, has it been repeated in all year 599s? or just on the first 599 production batch? And how did you know the gasket was damaged?? very curious.

Anyone with repeated issues found on 599s please chime in :)

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    He did not say he had a head gasket problem, but a front gasket problem. Noted, no doubt, by oil leaking. Big difference. A bad batch of gasket sealant or gaskets can cause that kind of problem.

High octane fuel is not going to bother a fuel pump, but high alcohol fuel might. An updated pump means Ferrari found the problem and, hopefully, fixed it.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    On BMWs we have found that certain "brands" of gasoline have literally "eaten" the pumps. One common problem we have found is in the "Costco" gas... and others that I would consider discount.

Im sure thats not the issue on this particular 599... but if you are using a type of gas that the internals of the fuel pump doesn't like it could very easily kill the pump. If the part has been updated with different internal seals etc... that would solve the problem

7. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have a 2008 599 with about 4000 miles now. The fuel pump on the 599 are from the Maserati Quattroporte and they are poorly designed. When my dealer replaced the fuel pumps, they already warned me that it might need to be replaced again because they were just replacing the same "old designed" part again. That is, until my third fuel pump, did Ferrari finally came out with an improved part.

My front engine gasket was poorly sealed from the factory. For some odd reason, the factory sealed the top half of the gasket with silicon but didn't do it for the bottom half. This is usually not a problem for cars in mild climate, but if you let the car sit for weeks (like in storage) in hot/humid condition, then the factory seal will not be enough.

8. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    neosky, sorry, what exactly do you mean by front gasket? Which location? And what symptoms can we associate to a front engine gasket being improperly sealed by the factory?

As for the fuel pump, does the new fuel pump look any different? is there any way you can help us identify/check if we have the bad pump or the newly improved one? Im guessing when your fuel pump went bad, your car just didnt start? Anything you can advise us on (i.e. dont hold on to the start engine button for too long, it could cause damages to x)? I hope the fuel pump is not mounted inside the fuel tank?? labor charges could really hurt the wallet if thats the case?

9. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
  10. rberg32

rberg32 Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    The only problems I had with the 599 was gearbox whine (fixed by new blend of shell oil) and the headliner warped due to heat (fixed under warranty).

Other than that, I can't say I've seen many complaints..

11. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    dealer provided me the following prices for the warranty extension. Does this sound right:

First 2 years $7358 for EACH year (Power cube warranty)

Next 2 years $4606 for EACH year (Power normal warranty)

Next 2 years $3838 for EACH year (power train warranty)

So if you do the math its a total of $15,802 for 6 years of extended warranty.

On a side note: a 599 was parked in the service center for a blown engine hose. The car had 50,000 miles and the service manager said even that owner didnt have any problems with his car to address and that 599s in general have no high rate or repeated defects.

Carlosfrommontreal likes this.
  12. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    i recently had an item to be claimed for defect and it was for a deformed plastic piece that is located between the hood and the windshield and just below the windshield wipers. (Makes annoying wind noise between 65-75mph

13. lipscomb

lipscomb Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Ca.
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Does anyone know if the 2010 hgte has the newly designed pump?Thanks.

14. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Does anyone know how much it costs to replace the old pump to a new Pump??

15. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    Dealer quoted me the following for extended warranty prices:

​US $ 7355 PER year for the 2 years after warranty end
    ‎​US $ 4603 PER year for the 2 years after above
    US $ 3836 PER year for the 2 years after above

Total:
    $31,588 for 6 years of warranty extension.

16. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #16 Ferrarista3, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    Here in Europe there two types of waranty extensions.

1) Power Cubed- It's essentially an extension of the original waranty--> 7000+ Euros per year

2) Power Squared: It covers only the "main components" (the drive-line essentially)--> 4000+ Euros

Unless Ferrari changed something, I was not aware of the options you posted above. Maybe it's something only available in the US?

The biggest running cost on the 599 is the warranty extensions by far. Our 599 recently received its second extension. Ferrari are real thieves when it comes to these things.

17. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    Dealer gave me an actual book called Pre Owned Warranty Exclusive Retail (POWER) - comes in 5 languages so im sure its for global use. Describes everything about the warranties you can chose from (what its includes and does not include). The word "squared" does not exist in the book.

Dealer mentioned the 3 pricings above are being for the most you could get for warranty extension (power cube is the most, then power normal, and power train last). Suggested the most I could do is the following which goes in line with the pricings I posted earlier:

first 2 years Power Cube, next 2 years Power Normal, next 2 years Power train

I put the pricing in dollars for ease of calculation. Prices are from Bahrain (middle east).

18. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #18 Ferrarista3, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    I just looked the "Power Warranty" booklet I have and you are correct..."squared" does not exist. "Power normal" is what I should have said.

It also seems that "Power Cubed" can only be renewed two times...which I didn't know. In this case the decrease in price you posted above makes sense. It's not that Ferrari are generous...it's that they impose a lesser coverage after the 5th year of the car.

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've been thinking about this for my 612. My debate is whether it's worth it to have the warranty when the car goes in for it's first major service-- which is not as much of an issue on the 599.

However, for $15k, I'm not sure the payoff is there...

20. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    Hi All ... i have found that the oil leaking of 599s is a comon problem also the CCM ceramic disk brake replacement wich means 18000 euro repair...

Ferrari in lisbon on a PPI i perform on one spanish 599 i intended to buy advised the oil pump replacement when solving the oil leak issue ..

ALSO they advice a cluctch kit replacement 2000 euro +800 clucth bearing...

Not to mention the cost of labour ...

A car with CCM Disks Issue will cost never less than 18 000 euro
    A car with oil leak - wil request Oil pump replacement + water pump etc never less than
    7000 euro

Clucth Wear will request never less than 8/10 000 euro

Those are the costs taken in attention when you purchase a 599 with more than 40000 km uo to 50000 km

21. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    The CCM discs should last for at least 100,000 km, if the car is not permanently abused.

The clutch should last for 80,000 km or more, if you never use LC, avoid to reverse uphill, and have a sensible right foot upon shifting.

22. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016
    The CCM's can be refurbished to the CCM2 standard for 1000 euro each so no big deal anymore and you get better brakes too.

23. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016
    My CCM's are virtually shot at 22,000miles so not sure where you get 100k (Km from) you are perhaps thinking CCM2 where the disc is much much harder wearing.

however see previous note vis-à-vis costs

24. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    What is CCM2? Never heard of that. Thanks.

25. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016
    The first generation of CCM's (Challenge Stradale, F430 optional, Standard on euro 599's) were Brembos first attempt at a road version of CCM's. Porsche sat that out and left it to Ferrari where it turned out that disc wear was heavier than first thought. Owners tend to use them more lightly but for longer durations than pro-driver testers in Maranello. The second generation of Brembo CCM's includes a much harder and more resilient face layer that means instead of wear being shared between the discs and the pads it is now much more the pads that are the consumable part. This is the version Porsche opted for and Ferrari fitted to later cars.

check SICOM EUROPE - CCM Refurbishment service - SICOM Brakes - High performance ceramic braking systems - CCM brakes