Come and get it! Maranello sale! | FerrariChat

Come and get it! Maranello sale!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Oct 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    New Ferrari Market Letter hit my computer. All one needs to know about the market is that there are twenty-seven Maranellos offered for sale, eleven 550s and fifteen 575s. Plus one Barchetta.

Good time to buy? - or better time to dump yours?

just sayin'

2. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Are you talking USA or total world market ?
    How many Maranellos were made...7000 ?............and there are 27 for sale..........so what ?

It only makes any difference if you are buying or selling......but then it always does.....no problem !

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    You selling then, Seth?

4. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Something around 3.000 LHD cars....

Don't buy one if it's not your dream car and a keeper. Go for a good one with history...

Seems to me, the market is slow by now.... You actually don't know in which direction the market is developing. But at least you have fulfilled a dream, that's worth it!

5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Definitely a buyers market right now...and I think it will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

The past decade people have been drunk off low interest rates and essentially free money. It's been driving all kinds of asset classes valuations through the roof.

Buy to enjoy, not to profit.

6. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Buy a car like that to drive and enjoy.

7. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    How many of those 15 575s are manual?

8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    OK so the fizz has gone out of the market just now, but who cares? I am not planning to sell mine until I can no longer drive it and hopefully that's a few years down the line still.

It's a great car to drive and while the market was riding high it gave me the equity I needed to buy my Dino, so as far as I am concerned it has done all I could ask of it.

9. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I have just bought one, and like you, planning to keep it until I can't comfortably drive it.

I am curious about your equity point. Do you mean you borrowed against the value of the 550 to part fund the dino? In that case, what happens when the the 550 value falls and the equity disappears? Doesn't your loan get called? I am curious, because having bought for cash, I am now wondering about some financing but worried that rates are on their way up.

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    In my case it was only a short term arrangement to get past a cash-flow issue. I repaid after 6 months. I wouldn't borrow against a car long term - there are cheaper ways to borrow if you have other assets, e.g. property.

I used the equity in my 550 to fund the deposit for the Dino, so effectively I was able to borrow the full cost of the Dino against the security of both cars. If I hadn't, some other bu**er would have got their hands on my Dino!

11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Yeah, I agree. If mine goes back to the values 10 years ago, and drops 50%, I hopefully would have had 10 years of fun for .£50k!

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    There always 20 + marenellos for sale heck in another thread there are atleast a dozen 275 gtb's shown as for sale

13. ReyF

ReyF Karting

Jan 10, 2017
    27 out of 3000? and all of a sudden it's a fire sale?.....how many Porsche 930's are for sale yet their prices have remained slightly steady after going up by at least 50-100%. Many love and admire the 550 but the Ferrari stigma of everything costing you your first born scares many potential buyers. Hopefully these cars will see their day sooner than later. They are truly a cross between modern and classic and will remind many of a time when driving was actually a skill...unlike modern digital supercars and all of their gadgets.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    There were:

3083 550s
    448 550 Barchettas
    (all manual)
    2064 575s (of which 246 manual)
    559 575 SAs (of which 39 manual)

So, 27 in the US doesn't seem a huge number.

It's not just Maranellos that are not selling at the moment. The whole mid-market, not just Ferraris, is soupy slow. A personal observation is that there aren't many really fantastic cars for sale in any model - fewer than you'd expect. I suspect people who don't need to sell, but would like to, are just hanging on to their cars in hope of better times.

So it's not a seller's market, but I'm not sure it's the greatest buyer's market either - though you could get lucky.

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i noticed marshall goldman has a blck 550 that they have been lowering the ask price on..... that NEVER happens