Cleaning inside the coolant tank | FerrariChat

Cleaning inside the coolant tank

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dersark_painclinic, Sep 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I have started doing some DIY work on my car. 1- I remove the coolant tank to clean inside, there is a film of some residue stuck to the bottom of tank which is hard to access for cleaning. I used can of radiator flush liquid by Prestone With no luck. Any advise or shall take it to radiator repair shop for cleaning.
    2- I also seen some modification of coolant fill neck by welding an aluminum one made by Canton racing products which I purchased one. Is there any improvement by this modification or not, The one I purchased has a mating base of 45 mm versus 35 mm of the tank neck.
    Thanks, Sark.

2. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I continue my DIY work change the oil and drain the coolant. Ron Davis patiently helped me with coolant tank. I decided to go little bit further to reach heather pump and drain the coolant. What I noticed a braided cable hanging loose I mean very loose from left upper to the right lower of my visual field as you see in the picture I. Any body has any idea what that might be ? Then on the left side of second picture there is a about one inch diameter hose also hanging down and not connected to any thing assuming is the AC drain hose with a very easy access by removing the inner fender cover. but if I am not mistaking that should open up into the floor of the passenger sit. Any information appreciated.

3. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Sark, regarding the coolant neck and new radiator cap, it was a mod that Ferraridriver & I came up with to eliminate the troublesome/unreliable plastic caps which don't hold pressure. A cooling system that doesn't hold pressure, and has a low percentage of antifreeze in it is asking for boilover problems, and possible microbubble cavitation issues. The ubiquitous metal 15psi radiator cap has been around for ages, so we should be able to have more confidence in it.

Concerning your braided cable, if it's a very small diameter cable, like 1/4" or so, it's probably the cable coming from the catalytic converter thermocouple, up to the Slowdown ECU, aka Cat ECU.

4. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thanks John, always been helpful, I don't have heating issues but as you commented more confidence on traditional caps.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Best reason to do the canton mod is for the universal almost never fail standard radiator cap you can find anywhere and at many different pressures. I'm running 16 or 18psi right now. I forget which but think 16. Also you can embed the radiator cap into a Ferrari oil tank cap and then the gas, oil tank and radiator cap are all the same. A little bling for my red sled. You will also note John's COP set-up which work flawless and hard wired trickle charger.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    That set up is super

7. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I made some progress by replacing the battery changing the oil and filters followed by flushing the coolant the way I wanted and replacing by fresh Zerex G-05 coolant. The coolant reservoir tank neck been modified to accep traditional cap, will see how that goes. I have only a month left to do the rest of the DIY work with replacing the belts hopefully I will be done otherwise car is going into hibernation for my long surgical rehab. Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Looks good Sark. Well done!

9. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thanks